How many new LoR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonberry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a reapplicant this cycle, but I don't really have any new experiences that can really go under my belt. I was wondering how many additional letter's of recommendations we need.

I spent a vast majority bringing my crappy 27 mcat to a 33. i also went to asia for a little community service, but I don't think anybody can give me a good letter here. will the lack of extra experiences between applications be really bad?

i have an ok gpa (3.7, 3.6 science) and good extracurriculars in undergrad, but the time in between applications felt so inefficient compared to undergrad (stupid mcat!!!!)

also, should i notify my old LoR writers that I'm applying again? I probably will tell them. It's just awkward b/c i didn't stay in touch.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm reapplying with entirely new LORs. I don't know if it's necessary to have more LORs than the first time you applied so long as you still meet the minimum requirement. I doubt any schools will know what LORs you had last time.

I applied the first time with 2 non-science and 1 MD. This time I'm applying with 2 (maybe 3) science, 1 employer, and 1 DO.

Nice. i came in with a 5 letter composite.
I think the secondaries will prob ask for 2 more if I'm a reapp. I think that's what I remember from looking at some secondaries.

I was wondering, how did you get 2 additional sciences? was it postbac or just old teachers?

In my case, if I can't get another employer or physician letter soon, Ill prob wait another year.

Nice. i came in with a 5 letter composite.
I think the secondaries will prob ask for 2 more if I'm a reapp. I think that's what I remember from looking at some secondaries.

I was wondering, how did you get 2 additional sciences? was it postbac or just old teachers?

In my case, if I can't get another employer or physician letter soon, Ill prob wait another year.

I've taken 7 science classes with 5 different professors over the past year (post-bacc) so all of my LORs are from people who can speak about me as I am currently, not how I was in undergrad 3+ years ago. I didn't bother trying to contact old professors because I haven't kept in touch.