How many new LoR's

Started by tonberry
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tonberry

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to be a reapplicant this cycle, but I don't really have any new experiences that can really go under my belt. I was wondering how many additional letter's of recommendations we need.

I spent a vast majority bringing my crappy 27 mcat to a 33. i also went to asia for a little community service, but I don't think anybody can give me a good letter here. will the lack of extra experiences between applications be really bad?

i have an ok gpa (3.7, 3.6 science) and good extracurriculars in undergrad, but the time in between applications felt so inefficient compared to undergrad (stupid mcat!!!!)

also, should i notify my old LoR writers that I'm applying again? I probably will tell them. It's just awkward b/c i didn't stay in touch.
 
I'm reapplying with entirely new LORs. I don't know if it's necessary to have more LORs than the first time you applied so long as you still meet the minimum requirement. I doubt any schools will know what LORs you had last time.

I applied the first time with 2 non-science and 1 MD. This time I'm applying with 2 (maybe 3) science, 1 employer, and 1 DO.
 
Nice. i came in with a 5 letter composite.
I think the secondaries will prob ask for 2 more if I'm a reapp. I think that's what I remember from looking at some secondaries.

I was wondering, how did you get 2 additional sciences? was it postbac or just old teachers?

In my case, if I can't get another employer or physician letter soon, Ill prob wait another year.
 
Nice. i came in with a 5 letter composite.
I think the secondaries will prob ask for 2 more if I'm a reapp. I think that's what I remember from looking at some secondaries.

I was wondering, how did you get 2 additional sciences? was it postbac or just old teachers?

In my case, if I can't get another employer or physician letter soon, Ill prob wait another year.

I've taken 7 science classes with 5 different professors over the past year (post-bacc) so all of my LORs are from people who can speak about me as I am currently, not how I was in undergrad 3+ years ago. I didn't bother trying to contact old professors because I haven't kept in touch.