How many New spots will the be available to MD students due to the Combined Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, thanks for the professional language. I assume you're an MD and it makes you look wonderful. Second of all, you apparently know nothing about radiology programs, which is fine, but you may want to research things before you comment on them. Ivy League is an undergrad phenomenon outside of Harvard (MGH, BWH, BID), and perhaps Columbia. Dartmouth is not even a top 50 rads program and Yale would struggle to be considered top 30. That DO was rejected from all top 20-25 programs except perhaps CCF. It's certainly a solid list of programs, but nothing compared to the list of similar stat MDs on the same thread: MGH, BWH, UCSF, BID, Michigan, MIR (WashU), Mayo, UTSW, Washington.

My information is not false. I went to DO school and had two weeks and all of my friends who went to 4 other DO schools all had 2 or 3 weeks. I still have written down from my DO interviews how many weeks the schools said they get and they were all 2-3 weeks. All my MD friends and during my MD interviews, all had 4-8 weeks.

Also, you can't comment on how adequate and "not different" the two board exams are until you have actually studied, prepared, and taken them both yourself.

I quoted and responded to you because your gleefully biased ranting has been non-stop on this thread. "We only get 2 weeks to study so our scores are worth more" :nod::rofl:
I am not going to waste my time continuing this ridiculous conversation with you.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like DOs are getting completely fked by this merger lol
I disagree. Now every DO graduate will have GME that is up to ACGME standards- there were programs in the past that were less than adequate in their training. This means that there will no longer be any question in regard to the quality of a DO's GME, and no more "we don't take AOA grads," a problem that was an issue in radiology, anesthesia, and surgery in the past due to the dubious quality of a minority of AOA programs.

Reactions: 10 users
While it's true that most DO programs mention developing primary care providers in their mission statements, it doesn't mean that all DO's are trying to be PCP's. It's subtle, but important, difference.

Several MD schools have similar mission statements as well, so mission statements are generally not helpful in figuring out what students will end up specializing in.

Also, there are plenty of DO's who are "experts" in their fields; and one could argue that the increased focus on musculoskeletal medicine (through OMT training) may help in certain fields (ortho, ENT, sports medicine). Whether that bears out or not is beyond me.
Ortho has historically been fairly DO friendly in comparison to similarly competitive ACGME fields. And PM&R loves us.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? This D.O. applicant got interviews from 50% of the allopathic programs they applied for, including Ivy league programs!!! And you're still complaining? WTF?
Get your head out of your @$$, no allopathic candidates are getting interviews at 100% of the programs they apply for. This is already a solid list of interview invites (not to mention D.O.s get their whole bunch of programs to apply to in the D.O. match, which M.D. candidates aren't even allowed to apply for).

Dude, everything you are saying is COMPLETELY FALSE. I have multiple great friends at D.O. schools that get over 10 weeks to study for USMLE Step 1.
Stop spreading false rumours that DO students study "2 weeks" for the Step 1. Get out of here.

Edit: One more thing - all of my DO friends spend all their time prepping for the USMLE Step 1. They take the test and then study 3 days - 1 week and then take the COMLEX. Prepping for the Step 1 is more than adequate to prep for the COMLEX... they are not "2 different exams" in the sense that clinical knowledge tested is completely different.
The COMLEX and the USMLE are, in fact, very different exams. We actually had a guy score a 240 on the USMLE and fail the COMLEX last year, to give you an idea, as well as a person who scored a 650 on one but a 210 on the other. They're written differently, and OMM can make or break you.

As to dedicated time, my school gives us four weeks until we have to take the COMLEX, but you're free to use the remaining six weeks of your summer however you want. Want to push the USMLE to the end of the summer and have no break? Congrats, you've got around 5.5 extra weeks. Want a four week break? You've got two extra weeks, or six total.

Last edited:
To answer your question about Derm there are 32 programs for ~60 spots (sometimes they don't take residents every year, hence ~). The vast majority of them pay >45k and range from 20-70k. There are 3 in Florida which pay 20k. Another thing I've noticed is the vast majority of them have vacation ranging from 0-15 days, where the standard seems to be 20.
Many also require you to finish a FP residency before being considered. A quirk of the DO side that's always been annoying and present.

Ortho has historically been fairly DO friendly in comparison to similarly competitive ACGME fields. And PM&R loves us.

It's more that md students don't know much about pmr so they don't even apply. I don't see many pmr on rank lists posted here. Many people haven't even heard of it but that's changing.

In 2014 Ortho 648 us seniors, 44 independents which includes amgs who didn't match the year before.
Ent 277/16
Integrated plastics 126/10

So ortho is about the same level as the others, not sure what you are talking about

It's more that md students don't know much about pmr so they don't even apply. I don't see many pmr on rank lists posted here. Many people haven't even heard of it but that's changing.

In 2014 Ortho 648 us seniors, 44 independents which includes amgs who didn't match the year before.
Ent 277/16

So ortho is about the same level as the others, not sure what you are talking about
I'd have to look at older matches- by historically I meant over the last 10 years more so than I meant the last match. Ortho has gotten less and less DO friendly over the years, but that's a natural effect of it getting slightly more competitive each year.

The argument that keeps getting thrown around is that similar board scores = similar applicants. Just curious (genuinely, not stirring the pot) if the people saying this think that way for IMGs. If a DO feels they shouldn't be discriminated against because of where they went to school, shouldn't that apply to anyone in the world then too?

As to dedicated time, my school gives us four weeks until we have to take the COMPLEX, but you're free to use the remaining six weeks of your summer however you want. .

Ugh I hate when residency program websites say they accept the COMPLEX. Makes me wonder if it's a Freudian slip.

The argument that keeps getting thrown around is that similar board scores = similar applicants. Just curious (genuinely, not stirring the pot) if the people saying this think that way for IMGs. If a DO feels they shouldn't be discriminated against because of where they went to school, shouldn't that apply to anyone in the world then too?

IMO, yes all applicants should be considered equally as long as they are 1. US citizens and 2. Have proficient English skills. I can understand residencies having a geographical bias though. We don't distinguish between great, good, and crappy undergrad schools and only look at MCAT, GPA. Seems like the same should be done here. I like the "best of all comers" mentality. I think a 250/260 DO or US IMG would be better than the 230/240 AMG MDs that take their places. Some people are late bloomers and how long must they be judged on their pre-med merits and how long can an AMG MD skate by on theirs?

Reactions: 1 users
I think that the "best" premed students should get into med-school; after med-school is when we decide whether one can become trained to be a doctor. The "best" doctors come from everywhere. After a certain point it's up to individual achievement...

So wait:

Student A: Goes to a top 10 undergrad for premed that is extremely competitive and gets an average GPA (3.6) and scores 30+ on the MCAT. Lots of research and volunteer work. This student lives in a state that is known for having medical schools that are tough to get into (California for example). Student applies to all the schools in California, but because it's extremely competitive, they don't get an MD spot. However, if they lived in most other states, they would most likely get an MD spot. Student A attends DO school and scores 250 on USMLE.

Student B: Goes to a no name state undergrad and gets a 3.8 GPA (since it isn't as competitive), scores 28 on MCAT. Some volunteer work. No research. This student lives in a state where the average scores are much lower than others and gets into an MD school. Student B attends MD school and scores 220 on USMLE.

My question is since student B went to an MD school, you see them as a "better" premed and better applicant towards to your program?

Reactions: 3 users
Lol I'm an MD candidate but I recognize that DOs exist in order to fill primary care needs. If you wanted to become an expert in a field, go to MD school first.

HAHAHA wow. Please do this forum a favor and never post again if that is your idea of the role of DOs.

Also, from your previous post about osteopathic training is dedicating DOs to primary care, "osteopathic medicine" does not MEAN DOs are dedicated to primary care FYI. If you're gonna make blanket statements about something, you should probably first understand what that "something" means.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I'm an MD candidate but I recognize that DOs exist in order to fill primary care needs. If you wanted to become an expert in a field, go to MD school first.
Lolwut. We exist to become physicians. Residency, fellowship, research, and hard work are what make you an expert in a field, not your alma mater.

So wait:

Student A: Goes to a top 10 undergrad for premed that is extremely competitive and gets an average GPA (3.6) and scores 30+ on the MCAT. Lots of research and volunteer work. This student lives in a state that is known for having medical schools that are tough to get into (California for example). Student applies to all the schools in California, but because it's extremely competitive, they don't get an MD spot. However, if they lived in most other states, they would most likely get an MD spot. Student A attends DO school and scores 250 on USMLE.

Student B: Goes to a no name state undergrad and gets a 3.8 GPA (since it isn't as competitive), scores 28 on MCAT. Some volunteer work. No research. This student lives in a state where the average scores are much lower than others and gets into an MD school. Student B attends MD school and scores 220 on USMLE.

My question is since student B went to an MD school, you see them as a "better" premed and better applicant towards to your program?

This. A perfect example is Touro CA where the majority of students are 30+ mcat UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD students who just couldn't land a spot in the uber competitive urm focused California

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
HAHAHA wow. Please do this forum a favor and never post again if that is your idea of the role of DOs.

The whole point of mixing the pools together is to direct DOs back towards primary care to help fill this need. Its not a bad thing at all (unless you choose to view it that way). Primary care is the area where we most critically need doctors and right now IMGs are making up a significant portion of those trained.

At no point will a DO and MD student with "equal" stats be regarded as equal. They are not. Placing in the top 10% at an accredited MD school is dramatically more difficult than top 10% of a DO school. Why? Because the applicant pool is more competitive at the MD level. It would be grossly unfair to give these two accomplishments (which they both are very difficult) equal weight. Therefore, MD candidates will be favored for more competitive residencies. This is not unjust, as many of our DO peers seem to claim. It is in fact the most rational and fair approach.

To answer your question about Derm there are 32 programs for ~60 spots (sometimes they don't take residents every year, hence ~). The vast majority of them pay >45k and range from 20-70k. There are 3 in Florida which pay 20k. Another thing I've noticed is the vast majority of them have vacation ranging from 0-15 days, where the standard seems to be 20.

The 3 in florida that pay 20k, I'm assuming that stipend will go up if they get ACGME accreditation? I mean how can you live on 20k? I suppose you could get food stamps or something.

The whole point of mixing the pools together is to direct DOs back towards primary care to help fill this need. Its not a bad thing at all (unless you choose to view it that way). Primary care is the area where we most critically need doctors and right now IMGs are making up a significant portion of those trained.

At no point will a DO and MD student with "equal" stats be regarded as equal. They are not. Placing in the top 10% at an accredited MD school is dramatically more difficult than top 10% of a DO school. Why? Because the applicant pool is more competitive at the MD level. It would be grossly unfair to give these two accomplishments (which they both are very difficult) equal weight. Therefore, MD candidates will be favored for more competitive residencies. This is not unjust, as many of our DO peers seem to claim. It is in fact the most rational and fair approach.

There has been no claim that the reason for the merger is to push DOs into primary care. That seems like it's coming from someone who is a student of an MD school who thinks that ALL MD students are brighter than DO students. If you read my previous post a few back, you may understand that there are MANY DO students who had better stats as a premed who were shut out of MD schools due to residence (which by your standards, since someone lives in BFE and got into an MD school cause no one lives within a 100 mile radius of them and they have 0 competition, they are a more capable student/doctor). I understand it is tougher to score in the top 10% of your class at an MD institution, but what about that DO student who scores in the 98%tile on the USMLE (you know, leveling the playing field)? I understand the fact that MD schools give their students better clinical training in most cases, but for you to sit here and say that DOs are here to fill the needs of primary care because MD school is harder is absolute bs.

Do programs even care about stuff like this? I was under the impression they cared about your step score and the quality of your clinical education(more consistent at MD) and then things like LOR and research.

I disagree. Now every DO graduate will have GME that is up to ACGME standards- there were programs in the past that were less than adequate in their training. This means that there will no longer be any question in regard to the quality of a DO's GME, and no more "we don't take AOA grads," a problem that was an issue in radiology, anesthesia, and surgery in the past due to the dubious quality of a minority of AOA programs.
I feel the nuance here is that if you are a competitive DO applicant this was never a worry. The top DO students were always going to get adequate GME. I suppose it is good for some people but there is a definitely a subset of people who are getting boned by this "merger."

I feel the nuance here is that if you are a competitive DO applicant this was never a worry. The top DO students were always going to get adequate GME. I suppose it is good for some people but there is a definitely a subset of people who are getting boned by this "merger."

IMO (which doesn't mean much, haha), I think that the people who are going to get screwed are the D.O. students who are shooting for highly competitive specialties (ortho, derm, ENT, etc.). These programs are hard for M.D.s to get into and most likely will get tougher for D.O.s once the M.D.s start trickling down to these programs.

Specialties like radiology, anesthesiology, EM, etc. which are mildly competitive are going to still be reachable by the great D.O. applicants because MANY D.O. students are matching into ACGME already and the merger shouldn't change this. These top D.O. students would have easily gotten into the AOA programs, so therefore should still match somewhere even if those AOA programs are now overrun by M.D.s.

The D.O. students at the "bottom of the barrel" I feel are the ones that have to worry as well because these "backup" residencies that AOA used to have are now going to be nonexistent, or be open for M.D.s.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion haha.

Reactions: 5 users
Will this open up more spots for the less competitive US MD students?

This thread was closed because there were some discussions going on that were not productive or professional. We are re-opening this thread as this is a pertinent issue worth discussing, but only as long as the discussion remains civil, professional, and respectful of others. This is the final warning, the thread will be permanently closed if it derails again.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm confidant there are plenty of DO students that are just as capable in any aspect of medicine as US MD students. If I was an ACGME program director for a non primary care specialty my issue would be with the DO rotations. Our school has 3 months of internal medicine 1-2 of which is primary care. 2 months of family, 2 months of peds(1-2 is primary care) , 3 months of rurals (2-3 of which is primary care).

Add all that together and you get 6-9 months of primary care. We have some great rotations but I still think this is an issue.

These are in clinics where a student generally sees every patient that comes in. I'm not sure if this is common in US MD schools. Perhaps the majority of these patients are coming in only for DM, HTN, and HLD medication refills. Is this common for everyone?

We have plenty of people in our class that just didn't try hard enough in undergrad and some that I'm sure could have gotten into US MD but really like OMM and physical medicine. Many of these students now have above average USMLE scores and great work ethic and personalities. But coming out it would be difficult for many of them to manage inpatient care just because we don't see it enough. That is not to say they couldn't catch up and I think they would but its a hurdle. I think just in terms of potential we have some really excellent grads.

I don't want to do FP but if I did I actually think at this point I'd be a much better family doctor if I had a month of derm and a month of neruo and a month of ortho because right now on many of my rotations we refer out to the aforementioned specialties anything that is not in the top 5 or so most common problems.

I'm confidant there are plenty of DO students that are just as capable in any aspect of medicine as US MD students. If I was an ACGME program director for a non primary care specialty my issue would be with the DO rotations. Our school has 3 months of internal medicine 1-2 of which is primary care. 2 months of family, 2 months of peds(1-2 is primary care) , 3 months of rurals (2-3 of which is primary care).

Add all that together and you get 6-9 months of primary care. We have some great rotations but I still think this is an issue.

These are in clinics where a student generally sees every patient that comes in. I'm not sure if this is common in US MD schools. Perhaps the majority of these patients are coming in only for DM, HTN, and HLD medication refills. Is this common for everyone?

We have plenty of people in our class that just didn't try hard enough in undergrad and some that I'm sure could have gotten into US MD but really like OMM and physical medicine. Many of these students now have above average USMLE scores and great work ethic and personalities. But coming out it would be difficult for many of them to manage inpatient care just because we don't see it enough. That is not to say they couldn't catch up and I think they would but its a hurdle. I think just in terms of potential we have some really excellent grads.

I don't want to do FP but if I did I actually think at this point I'd be a much better family doctor if I had a month of derm and a month of neruo and a month of ortho because right now on many of my rotations we refer out to the aforementioned specialties anything that is not in the top 5 or so most common problems.

I agree that rotations are the biggest issue plaguing DOs to be seen as equals. As you mentioned, some DO schools have pretty good rotations while others don't and sometimes it's even on a per student basis. There are many threads here on SDN though of MDs complaining about their rotations too. I think it's a nationwide phenomenon right now both MD and DO that medical students just aren't getting the autonomy and experience they used to.

It's just so difficult to measure the individual performance and experience a student gets on a rotation. The SLOE system that EM uses seems to be one of the best ways, but I will admit I'm not super familiar with it since I'm in a different field.

Oh, and all medical students do audition rotations and those DOs going for ACGME spots likely will have done auditions at ACGME institutions...so I don't see how those would be held as inferior rotations :)

I agree that rotations are the biggest issue plaguing DOs to be seen as equals. As you mentioned, some DO schools have pretty good rotations while others don't and sometimes it's even on a per student basis. There are many threads here on SDN though of MDs complaining about their rotations too. I think it's a nationwide phenomenon right now both MD and DO that medical students just aren't getting the autonomy and experience they used to.

It's just so difficult to measure the individual performance and experience a student gets on a rotation. The SLOE system that EM uses seems to be one of the best ways, but I will admit I'm not super familiar with it since I'm in a different field.

Oh, and all medical students do audition rotations and those DOs going for ACGME spots likely will have done auditions at ACGME institutions...so I don't see how those would be held as inferior rotations :)

The variance in the clinical years is what I think most people are forgetting about when they talk about DO vs MD vs IMG. I assume MD years 3 & 4 are audited by the LCME? Not sure about DO though.

There are articles about IMGs from the Caribbean being let go during their intern year due to their lack of clinical skills / experience on their rotations. However, I think it's on a case-by-case basis due to the high variance of clinical sites people go to from down there.

Can you read? I'm in MD school, long time out of pre-med.

I suppose you guys are not medical students. If you were, you would know that an MD candidate is someone IN MD SCHOOL.
It doesn't matter. The statement was asinine.

I think the amount of MD schools with subpar clinical rotations is far fewer with variability across the expectations of clinical training also much smaller due to a high expectation of clerkship curriculum described by the LCME accrediting guidelines.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20042807/?i=3&from=/19474546/related

To keep the thread on topic: it's very hard to predict what will happen but I've observed two things- 1) not that many AOA programs have applied for pre-accreditation yet and 2) there are far fewer programs applying to protect their DO kin by becoming osteopathic certified. So far, it looks like there will be more gem available for MD students but I still strongly believe competitive specialties through the AOA that are accredited by the acgme will still be ranked quote low even for middle of the road MD applicants while DO applicants will still rank it high. Strong university hospitals for competitive specialties will still have the upper hand there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Are you begging to have the thread shut down?
Well. Nothing useful is coming of it. The only thing that is happening is the showing of biased opinions. I don't really see anything backed up by facts. And while I'm all for heartful discussions, I don't mind responding negatively to posts filled with hateful ignorance. Cheers.

The trouble is, a lot of the time people would assume DO=AOA residency unless they were someone you worked with regularly. You could have gone to Cleveland Clinic but it won't matter if no one bothers looking it up because they'll assume that, by virtue of your degree, you probably trained at someplace substandard.

Now they'll know that at least anyone from here on out was at a program that meet ACGME standards. It raises the four of expectations, and this raises the floor of opinion across the board moving forward.

The trouble is, a lot of the time people would assume DO=AOA residency unless they were someone you worked with regularly. You could have gone to Cleveland Clinic but it won't matter if no one bothers looking it up because they'll assume that, by virtue of your degree, you probably trained at someplace substandard.

Now they'll know that at least anyone from here on out was at a program that meet ACGME standards. It raises the four of expectations, and this raises the floor of opinion across the board moving forward.
Who's they?

but I still strongly believe competitive specialties through the AOA that are accredited by the acgme will still be ranked quote low even for middle of the road MD applicants while DO applicants will still rank it high. Strong university hospitals for competitive specialties will still have the upper hand there.

This is where the issue of the match algorithm comes in...

Even If those MD applicants rank the programs in a middling or low fashion, and the DOs rank them highly (because they don't have any better options)...

If the programs, newly exposed to this crop of applicants, find themselves liking the MD applicants and ranking them highly...

Then the DO students will get edged out...

That's the whole problem with these competitive fields - there is already a glut of highly qualified MD applicants applying for them. It's not like the students who fail to match in ortho are "bad" applicants...there are just too many "good" applicants relative to the number of slots.

The DO students were protected from competition in these fields by having a small but isolated crop of programs that were "theirs". Now these programs are open to the wider applicant pool.

Reactions: 4 users
The variance in the clinical years is what I think most people are forgetting about when they talk about DO vs MD vs IMG. I assume MD years 3 & 4 are audited by the LCME? Not sure about DO though.

There are articles about IMGs from the Caribbean being let go during their intern year due to their lack of clinical skills / experience on their rotations. However, I think it's on a case-by-case basis due to the high variance of clinical sites people go to from down there.
Some DO schools are better than others in regard to clinical rotations. The standards certainly aren't up to where most MD schools are, but we've been hearing about even MDs having rotations precepted by NPs as of late, so it's not just on the DO side of things.

There's good and bad to the community hospital focus employed by many DO schools. The upside is that we get more opportunities for things like procedures and one-on-one time to learn from attendings at our community sites than we do at Maine Med, a big academic hospital where we rotate alongside Tufts students. The downside is that we get less broad exposure to pathology and residents in various specialties. Overall, I picked a community site that has residencies because it seemed like a good balance of both worlds. And for more diverse pathology, I'm intending to rotate bigger medical centers in the Northeast- basically making my fourth year more brutal so that I'm more prepared for internship.

But there are places at other schools that, for instance, give their students zero weeks of inpatient IM. That's a big deal, and seriously detrimental to their education. That's the sort of setup that is why the COCA needs to up their standards.

Who's they?
I worked at a big medical center. We had a great DO surgeon that would constantly have his educational credentials questioned, despite training at a well-respected ACGME surgical program, because people just assumed he trained at some backwoods AOA residency. Before I applied, he was one of my best resources in regard to the bias that still exists against DOs, particularly in regard to higher-tier academic medicine. My PCP actually gave me the same sort of attitude when I mentioned I was becoming a DO- despite the fact I'm very likely going to end up training at the same hospital he trained at if the match pans out my way lol. DO bias us alive and well, particularly with the older MD crowd.

Ent 277/16

I don't believe that to be the case for PM&R since Radiation Oncology is an extremely competitive field, yet there are quite a few students who go without really knowing its existence.

I definitely believe that PM&R is actually a DO friendly field. For instance, lets compare the field to radiology.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

On chart 3, page 5 - They show that PM&R has an 89% match rate for U.S. seniors and 53% for independent applicants versus radiology which is 99% of U.S. seniors and 70% of independent applicants. So overall PM&R is more competitive to get into than Radiology.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PD-Survey-Report-2014.pdf

On page 95 of the 2014 NRMP Director's Survey, it shows that 97% of programs interview/rank DO students for PM&R, but on page 121 for Radiology 64% of programs interview/rank DO students. This is one of the few ACGME fields where DOs are interviewed and ranks in almost all programs. In 2015, 3 total were left unfilled in PM&R, but 150 were left unfilled in Radiology.

With that all said, DOs have hit top tier places in PM&R such as Spaulding hospital and Mayo Clinic (Rochester). However, the same can't be said for Radiology. Based on the data it is definitely a DO friendly field.

Last edited:
I worked at a big medical center. We had a great DO surgeon that would constantly have his educational credentials questioned, despite training at a well-respected ACGME surgical program, because people just assumed he trained at some backwoods AOA residency. Before I applied, he was one of my best resources in regard to the bias that still exists against DOs, particularly in regard to higher-tier academic medicine. My PCP actually gave me the same sort of attitude when I mentioned I was becoming a DO- despite the fact I'm very likely going to end up training at the same hospital he trained at if the match pans out my way lol. DO bias us alive and well, particularly with the older MD crowd.
Yes, but questioned by who? I think a lot of patients in this country don't know what a DO is, let alone know the difference between AOA v ACGME trained. Or Wright State v. MGH trained. That being said, a person likely to care about training credentials is going to know DO = person who did poorly in undergrad. So I'm not sure where you're going with that thought.

I'm going to admit that I'm pretty confused after reading this thread. I was led to believe (by adcoms, mentors, MD students and DO students) that this merger was benefitting DO students. There is now one pipeline residency system for training physicians. Wouldn't this mean that DO are viewed as equals to MD? And DO's now have an opportunity to compete with even the most competitive specialities?

I'm going to admit that I'm pretty confused after reading this thread. I was led to believe (by adcoms, mentors, MD students and DO students) that this merger was benefitting DO students. There is now one pipeline residency system for training physicians. Wouldn't this mean that DO are viewed as equals to MD? And DO's now have an opportunity to compete with even the most competitive specialities?
No. Because ACGME (read MD) programs are unaffected by this merger. Nothing is changing at that level, including biases. Things will only change at the AOA level.

Yes, but questioned by who? I think a lot of patients in this country don't know what a DO is, let alone know the difference between AOA v ACGME trained. Or Wright State v. MGH trained.
I'm talking about colleagues, not patients. The guy in ENT that's rolling his eyes at your consult because you're just some DO so he's going to have to double-check all of your work. The guy in management who is reluctant to promote you because he doesn't know his ass from his elbow but he's heard AOA training is inferior to ACGME training and you must've some AOA because you're a DO. Nonsense like that. Your colleagues' opinion of you matters, because it makes consults, admits, and much more easier when you're dealing with a person you don't know personally and all they see is "NTC, DO" and they're left to draw the conclusions of how seriously they should take your opinion based on the reputation those last two letters carries.

I'm talking about colleagues, not patients. The guy in ENT that's rolling his eyes at your consult because you're just some DO so he's going to have to double-check all of your work. The guy in management who is reluctant to promote you because he doesn't know his ass from his elbow but he's heard AOA training is inferior to ACGME training and you must've some AOA because you're a DO. Nonsense like that. Your colleagues' opinion of you matters, because it makes consults, admits, and much more easier when you're dealing with a person you don't know personally and all they see is "NTC, DO" and they're left to draw the conclusions of how seriously they should take your opinion based on the reputation those last two letters carries.
Really, cuz I've never heard of DOs hurting for jobs or equal pay. It may exist, but this is the first I'm hearing of it. I also doubt what you're saying because most physicians are going to be part of groups and consulting the same people. I tend to think after a while, initial judgments and preconceived notions about people are either affirmed or rejected, but on merit.

No. It means DOs have to compete on an even playing field rather than having protected spots in competitive specialties. It is good for the reputation of GME, as there is now a universal standard, but bad for individual DOs that wanted competitive spots. The bias against DO candidates isn't going away, but at least the bias against AOA residencies that would keep some people out of fellowships and certain jobs will, plus all the substandard programs will be eliminated.

Reactions: 4 users
I've seen multiple incidences of EM docs and Intensivists critique and double check radiology reads by the two DO rads in the group when they never did the others. And no, there was nothing inherently bad about them and both actually trained at ACGME residencies.

Really, cuz I've never heard of DOs hurting for jobs or equal pay. It may exist, but this is the first I'm hearing of it.
It isn't about being unemployed or making less. It's about your ceiling in academia, in fellowships, and the crash you have to deal with when making referrals, particularly in large academic environments. It isn't a big deal in some environments, but it can be annoying in others. The merger serves to dispel some of that aura of inferior training, which is good across the board for DOs.

It isn't about being unemployed or making less. It's about your ceiling in academia, in fellowships, and the crash you have to deal with when making referrals, particularly in large academic environments. It isn't a big deal in some environments, but it can be annoying in others. The merger serves to dispel some of that aura of inferior training, which is good across the board for DOs.
Yea and I'm still not buying what you're saying. Because in Academia, reputation supersedes letters. In these environments publishing power and grant means everything. I don't see how "management" is going to judge based on someone being a DO and not their funding. And if a DO is in academia, that often means that they've worked hard, despite their degree because like competitive fields, it's an uphill battle. It's widely accepted, both on these forums and IRL that biases tend to go away after GME and appointment.

And lastly, if it's not affecting your career (read money) , who cares?

Please don't lump all DO students into the group that wants their own protected residency positions. I want open competition among all deserving candidates and I want poor quality DO residencies to close. You can't be equal under the rules and get special treatment at the same time.

The fact is though that there will not be open competition in MD residencies for a long time.

Reactions: 6 users

That's possible. Although this sounds like something future DOs will benefit from. For me personally, merger is complete ****e.

Yea and I'm still not buying what you're saying. Because in Academia, reputation supersedes letters. In these environments publishing power and grant means everything. I don't see how "management" is going to judge based on someone being a DO and not their funding. And if a DO is in academia, that often means that they've worked hard, despite their degree because like competitive fields, it's an uphill battle. It's widely accepted, both on these forums and IRL that biases tend to go away after GME and appointment.

The medicine department at my hospital just hired a sub specialist DO. He may be the first DO in the department (maybe they have one stashed in the hospitalist group or in outpatient primary care that I don't know of, but he's definitely the first in that prestigious subspecialty division). I can tell you he has gotten a lot of side-eye from both within his own department and without, even from residents. And he trained at good ACGME programs for both residency and fellowship.

I'm talking ridiculous stuff like when attendings find out he's on for consults, they either wait a week until the next person comes on, or they email one of their buddies to "double check" his recs.

I agree with this, it is truly a benefit to DOs post-residency.

Status
Not open for further replies.