How many of you are interested in law enforcement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonfp

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished residency in 2001 and took time off work to go through the police academy in 2002. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I was sworn in with a county agency in 2002, worked road patrol for 6 months, and have worked narcotics ever since then. After graduating the academy, I went back to full time medicine and worked LE part time. I am considering changing to LE full time/medicine part time. I may be able to grab a narc position that focuses on pharmaceutical diversion, pays well, and has full benefits. I don't want to give up medicine completely, but I would much rather do it part time.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Conversely, how do former LEO's who became doctors feel about not working in the LE profession any more? Do you miss it?

And are there any SWAT docs here?

Members don't see this ad.

Very interesting career choice.

I think most docs think along the lines of other professional/business/consulting jobs if they change jobs. Of course you took a huge hit in pay going into law enforcement. Most of us don't have the balls, myself included. I may do a PhD and become a professor, which is also a cut in pay but a relatively relaxed lifestyle. Many docs I know have gone to law school to become lawyers, have gone into medical administration, or done other business careers. I know cops who have become docs but not the other way around.

Military docs sometimes do combat MOSs, usually before med school.

Most people when they become doctors never go back 'into the field'

I'm actually coming from the opposite side of what you mentioned. I spent 7 years in law enforcement and am now a med student.

As for missing LE, yes I do. I am still in contact with several folks who are still on the job. I would love to continue to work in the LE field, but in medicine. Tactical medicine sounds like a blast, but I don't know how I would sign up for a tour. Where I worked in LE, I was not familiar with any tactical medicine docs. That sounds like the perfect job to me, but is it possible to get full-time employment in that capacity?

I salute you for doing what you enjoy, and would encourage you to stay in the LE if you can afford it.

Wook

PS What area are you employed (i.e. State)?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should check with local agencies in your area once you are in residency and have a medical license. Increasing numbers of sheriff's offices and PD's have "SWAT Docs" for medical support on their SRT/SWAT teams. If the agency is in the state you are already POST-certified in, you could also be a duly sworn deputy/officer (you may need to do a small amt. of remedial inservice to become active again). If the agency is in a different state, you probably would only have to go through an abbreviated academy due to you being certified in another state already.

The FBI has docs for their tactical teams, and they do tours of duty all across the globe. The do not have any LE authority, however. They are strictly medical, but that would be a fun gig for sure.

I am a deputy sheriff with a county agency.

I am also the opposite of you...I was a Sheriff's Deputy for 3 years prior to going to med school...I did street patrol, traffic, the whole nine yards...It was a blast. I took the COMTOMS course during residency. Since I am now all done w/ boards, and settled into my job, I plan on pursuing the SWAT doc gig with a local dept. I understand the best way to do that is to start making calls to the SWAT sarge/LT's....We'll see...I just have to convince the wife to "let" me do it....Really honey, I won't get killed.....
Mark