How many of you are taking 5 years to do undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

USC_hopefulMD

I am seriously considering doing an extra year undergrad. I kinda started the premed track late and now I am desperately trying to cram all these classes in before I take the MCAT. I am a sophomore and right now, i only have 1 yr of bio, 1 sem of chem (doing now), and 1 sem of physics (doing now). Plus, I am trying to do some interesting EC's before I apply to med school. I feel like trying to rush all this will hinder my performance, but I dunno if I wanna stay an extra year (+$45k). Any of u taking an extra year?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take an extra year for the requirements, but to be honest, an extra year might be a great idea. Because then you have at least 1 year (or semester) you can decompress to study for the MCAT. Spreading everything out can be a huge plus for focusing on the pre-med courses and doing very well in them. So, maybe you don't need to stay a full year, but half a year may be good.

I realize 45 K is a lot, but in the long run, if I could go back, I might've paid an extra semester to really increase my chances at doing well. But, of course, there are no guarantees - you must work hard regardless.

USC_hopefulMD said:
I am seriously considering doing an extra year undergrad. I kinda started the premed track late and now I am desperately trying to cram all these classes in before I take the MCAT. I am a sophomore and right now, i only have 1 yr of bio, 1 sem of chem (doing now), and 1 sem of physics (doing now). Plus, I am trying to do some interesting EC's before I apply to med school. I feel like trying to rush all this will hinder my performance, but I dunno if I wanna stay an extra year (+$45k). Any of u taking an extra year?

I took 5 years to finish my BA. I decided that I wanted to go into med during my junior year of college. I started taking classes for a bio degree in the second half of my junior year. I'm the kind of guy that like to enjoy what I do. That's why I saw no problems with taking an extra year. I think I was more relaxed because things were spread out. If you don't mind putting off med school for a year, it might be a good idea to take the extra year and get some research/clinical/volunteer work done in that extra time. EC's count a lot and can help to separate you from the pack and gives you something to talk about on interviews. I can't really help you with the 45K issue. I went to a state school that's dirt cheap and I had scholarhips. What's another 45 K on top of your undergrad/med school loans? Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
i graduated from my private school in 3.5 years. after taking what *would* have been my senior spring off, i went back to my much cheaper state school to take physics and orgo (and a bunch of other classes that were mostly for ****s and giggles). i also took the MCAT at the end of that "5th" year. i won't say yet if that worked for me (no full-fledged acceptances yet, but no rejects either) - i was a little bit concerned about people thinking i went to an easier school to take harder classes, but whatever. it definitely worked for me in other respects - i needed to get out of school for a few months and refocus my academic side. which i did, finishing that fifth year with a 4.0 :)

I did the 5 year route, but I am at a state school with scholarships, so I pay nothing near the 45K per year that you do. 5 years certainly has its advantages, though. For instance, I took the MCAT in August between my 3rd and 4th year...so I wasn't trying to study for class and the test, and it gives you all of the next year to work on your personal statement, LOR, deciding which schools to apply to, etc. And to top it off, this semester I am finishing with a whopping 12 credit hours. To put it in perspective, if I had tried to graduate in 4 years I would have ended up taking at least one semester with more than 18 credit hours (being a music major doesn't exactly fit easily into the pre-med plan, but definitely worth it IMO). I did bust my butt the first two years, though, taking 17-18 hours each semester to get me to this point. But that was back in the foolish days when I thought I could graduate in 4 years. Its difficult to keep that pace when you start taking upper level courses.

I actually dont think you are in bad shape to finish in 4 years. If you have 1 semester of chem, one physics, and 2 semesters of bio by the end of your sophomore year you are half-way there. You will just apply to med school after you graduate, rather than your senior year. I think that an extra 45 grand in debt is a lot more than you would think. Maybe take a summer class or two, if that helps. You may also get a lot more out of working for a year after you graduate, rather than being an undergrad for 5 years.

I finished in 5 years and a summer. During my 3rd year, I couldn't decide what I wanted to major in, and I dropped nearly two semesters worth of classes. I also started working on a senior thesis which took longer than I thought. It was even brought up in my interview. I brough the subject up when they asked if I wanted to explain anything about my transcripts or MCAT or AMCAS.

Thank guys for the thoughts. I think I am leaning towards taking summer school science classes and taking orgo chem my junior yr and just sticking it out in 4 years. If i apply to med school summer after junior year, and I anticipate taking biochem my senior year, will they take that into account that i WILL take that class, because I hear more and more schools are requiring biochem.

One more thing as well. These are my EC's I anticipate to accomplish by the time I apply to med school. You think they will be enough:

-At least one year of research. Plus hopefully a summer fellowship next summer while I apply to med schools.
-UCLA Medical Center Intern 100+ Hours
-Full time work from freshman to soph yr.
-Soccer IM, Tennis Club
-Neuroscience Club (various comm. service activities)
-Red Cross CPR Instructor
-Shadow a physician
-Honors College (first yr)
-Helping mom with business

Will my EC's suffice for top medical schools?