How many of you sanitize your stethoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpinDrift

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says "How many of you sanitize your stethoscope?". Do you sanitize it after every patient or never or somewhere in between? Should this be common practice? Its all anonymous so please be honest, I've stumbled upon some compelling research and want to pursue some different avenues.

Members don't see this ad.

Between every patient. Just made it a part of my hand hygiene habit

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Between every patient. Just made it a part of my hand hygiene habit
Was it pushed when you were in medical school? Is this something you initiated or did it become policy?

We’re required to. It takes like 2 seconds. Not sure why it would be a big deal.
That's what I'm saying. I go to school at a large university and to my knowledge there isn't a policy for it nor is it being pushed to medical students and I haven't seen attendings doing it.

That's what I'm saying. I go to school at a large university and to my knowledge there isn't a policy for it nor is it being pushed to medical students and I haven't seen attendings doing it.

Weird. It’s so easy to do. Even if it only helps minimally, it has zero harm associated with it and takes 2 seconds. Maybe it has a little cost associated with it for the wipes or whatever you use, but that’s it.

Reactions: 1 users
Weird. It’s so easy to do. Even if it only helps minimally, it has zero harm associated with it and takes 2 seconds. Maybe it has a little cost associated with it for the wipes or whatever you use, but that’s it.
Exactly, according to the research stethoscopes harbor all sorts of bad crap and to not sanitize them before each use is as bad as not sanitizing your hands. Anyway I think I might raise a fuss and see where it takes me.

Reactions: 1 user
It is a common sense. Idk and Idt there is a need of policy for something like this “cleaning equipment between patients”...you want something just touch someone else sweaty chest on yours? Don’t you clean the ultrasound probe between patients? Etc...people do not do it does not mean you should not as well.

It is a common sense. Idk and Idt there is a need of policy for something like this “cleaning equipment between patients”...you want something just touch someone else sweaty chest on yours? Don’t you clean the ultrasound probe between patients? Etc...people do not do it does not mean you should not as well.

If there is a policy, you can enforce it.

Exactly, according to the research stethoscopes harbor all sorts of bad crap and to not sanitize them before each use is as bad as not sanitizing your hands. Anyway I think I might raise a fuss and see where it takes me.
I wouldn't recommend that unless you are sufficiently senior to be able to make a fuss and not suffer significant consequences. If you want to do it yourself, that's great. If you want to ask the attending/upper level residents why they don't (in a respectful way), that's probably safe. Otherwise, I would be very careful.

Keep in mind that we also know that neck ties harbor significant bacteria but haven't been able to prove that they actually transmit disease. Same with long sleeves (looked at you England). And go ask a surgeon about surgical caps v. bouffants and see how that goes down.

Reactions: 4 users
I wouldn't recommend that unless you are sufficiently senior to be able to make a fuss and not suffer significant consequences. If you want to do it yourself, that's great. If you want to ask the attending/upper level residents why they don't (in a respectful way), that's probably safe. Otherwise, I would be very careful.

Keep in mind that we also know that neck ties harbor significant bacteria but haven't been able to prove that they actually transmit disease. Same with long sleeves (looked at you England). And go ask a surgeon about surgical caps v. bouffants and see how that goes down.

Or surgical masks (which do much more for the wearer than the patient).

I'll be respectful. When I say fuss what I really mean is conduct some research and present it in hopes of implementing a new policy. It seems like such a simple thing to do to prevent costly disease.

If there is a policy, you can enforce it.
Sure but do I really need a policy to tell people to follow common sense? If we need policy for every common sense, good luck lol!!!! I don’t even know 1/4 of the policies at a hospital I work at for 2-3 years

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure but do I really need a policy to tell people to follow common sense? If we need policy for every common sense, good luck lol!!!! I don’t even know 1/4 of the policies at a hospital I work at for 2-3 years

When people aren’t doing things that can prevent disease spread, a policy that you can enforce will help. Unfortunately not everyone does what seems to be common sense. It took a long time to convince physicians that washing their hands between patients would decrease disease spread. The person who first proposed it was sent to an asylum and died of injuries sustained there.

When people aren’t doing things that can prevent disease spread, a policy that you can enforce will help. Unfortunately not everyone does what seems to be common sense. It took a long time to convince physicians that washing their hands between patients would decrease disease spread. The person who first proposed it was sent to an asylum and died of injuries sustained there.
Good luck. People are not even compliant w covid mask and googles. In reality you can’t just place policy just to enforce a behavior....or it will get ridiculously very long...it is already too long most people don’t even know majority of their hospital policy.

Good luck. People are not even compliant w covid mask and googles. In reality you can’t just place policy just to enforce a behavior....or it will get ridiculously very long...it is already too long most people don’t even know majority of their hospital policy.

I’m in the military. I’ve seen policies enforced quite effectively, including at hospitals. It just requires people willing to enforce it.

Reactions: 2 users
I was in the military as well and I agree with Matthew9Thirtyfive. People as a whole are pretty stupid and lazy, even doctors. Policies can be placed but they mean nothing if they aren't enforced. I'm thinking I might present a policy and maybe just bring more awareness to the issue through some form of alternate means.

You're right but we still have to try.

Semmelweis!!

Honestly, no. But not because I don't want to. I genuinely just forget. I try to clean in between each patient but it's not yet ingrained in me to do so like with foam in/foam out, which I've been doing for 20+ years. Not making any excuses here, just trying to give an explanation as to why and be as forthcoming as possible.

I’m in the military. I’ve seen policies enforced quite effectively, including at hospitals. It just requires people willing to enforce it.
My n=1 experience...and only my experience at VA. People are more willing to enforce and follow rules than civilians. Our CMO announced googles requirement...I only saw few actually wear it...some don’t even know about it...I saw googles lay around everywhere but not their eyes...it made the hospital look more messy and protect no one.

Can't spread infection with a stethoscope if you don't carry a stethoscope!

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
My n=1 experience...and only my experience at VA. People are more willing to enforce and follow rules than civilians. Our CMO announced googles requirement...I only saw few actually wear it...some don’t even know about it...I saw googles lay around everywhere but not their eyes...it made the hospital look more messy and protect no one.

That’s not a failure of policy. That’s a failure of the people who are supposed to follow and enforce it.

Like the title says "How many of you sanitize your stethoscope?". Do you sanitize it after every patient or never or somewhere in between? Should this be common practice? Its all anonymous so please be honest, I've stumbled upon some compelling research and want to pursue some different avenues.

I just use a glove over it.

Was it pushed when you were in medical school? Is this something you initiated or did it become policy?

My hospital did a QI project before I got here and saw the difference so impressed it on interns. So residency.

Don’t wear one cuz #surgery hehe. But in the event I have it I wipe that thang every time I auscultate

Honestly, no. But not because I don't want to. I genuinely just forget. I try to clean in between each patient but it's not yet ingrained in me to do so like with foam in/foam out, which I've been doing for 20+ years. Not making any excuses here, just trying to give an explanation as to why and be as forthcoming as possible.
Thanks for your honesty, I never sanitized my stethoscope before examining a patient. I'm early in my career and you can bet I'll start making it a habit.

I'm EM so the CT techs clean the auscultation machine.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users