How many people are applying for fall 2009?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handy388

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that there are probably a lot of people applying this year, even though the available spots have been increased somewhat, but does anyone have any concrete projection on how many people will apply this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I think we should start counting.

i think we should start counting.

Wait a sec, this isn't a cheap way to make a 1000+ post thread? :p

To OP: Unless someone here is clairevoyant, no one knows how many people are going to apply. That won't be known until the application deadlines are all passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
not even a projection? I remember reading somewhere about certain amount of applicants limit have been passed this year.

way to steal your signature from a prodigy album

45972 will apply....18744 will be accepted

687,324.45 students will apply
3.14 will get in

I recall an adcom (can't remember the exact school) mentioning that AMCAS expected around 40,000 applications in total. Don't quote me on that figure, however.

Umm but your app should have been out already..

There was a post on here earliet where AMCAS had 3% less applications than last year at one specific time. Considering that trend continues, about 3-5% less than last year.

I'm not sure how they calculated the total number of applicants before the end of October (as I was under the impression their were schools with primary deadlines after that), but the following article reported that AAMC said there was a 3% decrease in applicants this year with 42,200 having applied in 2008.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081021/REG/310219989&nocache=1

That article says a 3% decrease in the number of first-time applicants but the pool itself is "the largest in more than a decade"...

And I wonder how many second time applicants really get competitive. Sure, a lot will retake MCATs, fix weaknesses, and get more experiences, but at the same time, AMCAS data says that a ton of MCAT retakes are less than the first score, and only the truly motivated will have turned a rejected app into a competitive one.

If a lot of reapplicants are extremely improved, then this is like a perfect storm! They will 1) have improved apps, and 2) have the reapplicant thing going for them, since I've heard multiple times that it shows persistence that is veiwed positively among adcoms. So a larger pool of applicants, and a greater proportion of that pool that is more competitive than usual!