How many pharm students dropped out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmstud07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the rate of completion?

For example, I've heard that only 80% of the first year class will graduate.

Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

We had one P1 drop out at eh end of last semester, and had one more booted because of bad grades (she has an option of coming back, but it will be difficult). So we started with 60 and now have 58. But from what I've heard, this is unusual - our school usually doesn' lose this many in the first year.

We started with around 54...we lost 4 our first year. I believe another 2 or 3 after 2nd year and then we gained 5 or 6 that were 3PD's last year that had to repeat. I think it's normal for our school that the attrition rate is around 20% from 2nd to 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
rutgers 6 year pharm program i would say 25% drop/change majors between freshmen year and graduation

i would say the % is about the same for the school of engineering at rutgers

What is the rate of completion?

For example, I've heard that only 80% of the first year class will graduate.

Is this true?

At Wayne State only around 65-70% of 2003 P-1s will graduate this year.

I think we had 3-4 people out of 131 fall back a year due to bad grades. But we also picked up 3-4 from last year. I think they told us that they expected 120ish to graduate in the class of 2010. What I couldn't tell you is how many of those were supposed to graduate in other years but didn't.

We have a class size of 200...and we generally end up graduating that many. We do have between 2-5 people that get "left back" a year or drop out...but at the same time we gain the people from the previous year that were left back. So in the end, we roughly end up with the same class size 200 graduates per year.

I know one person completely flunked out last year. Several others were held back. We added in a couple. We started with about 160 and currently have 158.
I don't know if we lost anyone for not passing their pharmacy calculations exam this fall.

<<<<<<<< *hanging on by a thin shread of hope*

I'm really interested in the "drop-outs" who come back. Is this common? (I hope not to put this knowledge into personal use!) I assume they take your individual situation into account when deciding if they will let you come back next year.....or do they? I imagine some schools probably have a reputation.

We've lost one already....that I know of. It's hard to keep track of 122 people.

I have always heard that UCSF will do everything they can not to let you flunk out....that you are more likely to return the next year. I also hear that they take into special consideration difficult issues that you're having as long as you tell them BEFORE you flunk all your classes. I believe next year that we're picking up a student or 2.

I wonder how many students we'll pick up along the way who weren't with us our P1 year. Ahh well....the more the merrier....as long as we hopefully don't lose any more c/o 2010! :)

The class before me lost about 50% of their class. Some of them made it through with our class, but many of them are out of the program. My class lost 20% of our students. The majority of these students repeated 2nd year, but only a couple of them made it through to start rotations.

It's sad when you look back. Several of my friends didn't make it. It's not that they didn't try or didn't study. It's the pressure that gets you. They try to stress you out. They could make it easier, but they don't.

For instance, before we went on rotations we were assigned to a small group of three students and given a research topic for our final pharmacotherapy class. This was one year ago. But, we couldn't work on it because they wouldn't post the requirements for the project. They just posted them 2 weeks ago, because they are due on March 12th. Weekends are taken up with projects for my current rotation. I get up at 4:30am for my commute and get home at 7:30pm. It doesn't leave a lot of time to work on my final project for school. It would not have hurt them to post the info earlier in the year, but they wanted to put extra stress on us. I can't wait until this is all over.

The class before me lost about 50% of their class. Some of them made it through with our class, but many of them are out of the program. My class lost 20% of our students. The majority of these students repeated 2nd year, but only a couple of them made it through to start rotations.

It's sad when you look back. Several of my friends didn't make it. It's not that they didn't try or didn't study. It's the pressure that gets you. They try to stress you out. They could make it easier, but they don't.

For instance, before we went on rotations we were assigned to a small group of three students and given a research topic for our final pharmacotherapy class. This was one year ago. But, we couldn't work on it because they wouldn't post the requirements for the project. They just posted them 2 weeks ago, because they are due on March 12th. Weekends are taken up with projects for my current rotation. I get up at 4:30am for my commute and get home at 7:30pm. It doesn't leave a lot of time to work on my final project for school. It would not have hurt them to post the info earlier in the year, but they wanted to put extra stress on us. I can't wait until this is all over.

We (mcp-worcester) usually lose 20~30 people from 150 in 3 years.
Half of them -> personal reasons
The other half -> academic problems

In the beginning, I felt the number was a bit higher but after spending one semester, I believe it is the reasonable number. Frankly speaking, some students are so behind academically and I can't understand how they were accepted. If you have taken all of you prereqs. at community college and don't have a BS/BA, try to take some challenging classes at 4 year university to see your capability...

The class before me lost about 50% of their class. Some of them made it through with our class, but many of them are out of the program.

Losing 50% of a class doesn't say a whole lot for the school and it's professors. If I was the dean I'd definitely be looking into why there is such a high failure rate. If I was a student applying, there is no way I'd apply to a school that is losing 50% of their students.

Losing 50% of a class doesn't say a whole lot for the school and it's professors. If I was the dean I'd definitely be looking into why there is such a high failure rate. If I was a student applying, there is no way I'd apply to a school that is losing 50% of their students.

That class was the first year of distance learning students. UF admitted that they accepted students that would not normally have made it in. They just didn't get a lot of applications because of the unknowns of the program. I felt that they didn't have all the kinks worked out of the distance learning. Many of those students repeated the year and are graduating with my class.

If you're looking at true attrition rates, about 10% of each class never makes it through the program.

i was about to say. . . , not to mention a lot of questions from the pharmacy accrediation board too.

i was about to say. . . , not to mention a lot of questions from the pharmacy accrediation board too.

UF students received an email from the Dean recently reporting the results of our accreditation evaluation. The evaluation team said that "in their opinion, the UF College of Pharmacy is not one of the top ten College's in the country, but moving rapidly toward the Top Five." UF's made a lot of improvements since they first started the distance education programs, and they try hard to keep all their students even if it takes them a year or two more than everyone else. There are about 4 people in my class that are repeating their 1st year, but there are probably more on the other distance sites.

That class was the first year of distance learning students. UF admitted that they accepted students that would not normally have made it in. They just didn't get a lot of applications because of the unknowns of the program. I felt that they didn't have all the kinks worked out of the distance learning. Many of those students repeated the year and are graduating with my class.

If you're looking at true attrition rates, about 10% of each class never makes it through the program.

oooooh. Ok. That makes sense then. I was really beginning to wonder. :)

At UMinnesota's interview, the dean said that 97% of students who enter the school graduate. However, I wonder whether this number refers to students graduating within 4 years or whether some have to repeat classes but eventually graduate at a later date.

We had 80 students to start with, one dropped out after P1 and one has been held back a year. That's it - and I think we picked up 1 or 2 from the class ahead of us so our attrition rate was super low.