1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How many places are people going to interview at/are shooting to interview at?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by beezar, Dec 4, 2002.

1. beezar

beezar Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

With the competitiveness of anesthesia, how many places are you all looking to interview at? I asked my dean this and he said that he frankly didn't know considering the change in # of applicants this year.

Me, I'm thinking of interviewing at around 15. Not including those pain in the ass prelim/transitional spots...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gas-x

gas-x Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey,

i'm heading off to about 14-15 interviews too. within that i have about 5 pre-lim/trans interviews. so i guess that's about right. at least i hope so. if figured, if i visit 9 programs and don't match, it's probably a sign for me to do something else!

4. redtape

redtape Junior Member

Twelve is my breaking point. After visiting three in one week, I think I will go insane if I push it any further.

As for prelim, my dean told me 6-9 interviews is good enough.

5. sechen

sechen Member
    7+ Year Member

hi guys,

i am so tired after doing 4 interviews in 6 days. i was about to sleep on today's interview. i plan on doing 14 anes interviews but not sure if i will fatigue out by january. i really wish that anes is an early match so i can plan my intern year interview accordingly. the thank you letters are pilling up. good luck everyone.

6. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am doing 11 anesth, 5 IM prelim & 1 surg prelim. I had quite a few more, but I declined them. My application yielded far more invitations than it was possible for me to afford or want to accept.

I applied to 25 anesth & several IM & surg prelim programs. In anesth, I was invited to 16, rejected by 4 and still don't know about 5...and plan to decline them if they ever do offer. I was very fortunate that I was able to secure so many invitations to such quality programs.

I hope that all of you were equally successful!

7. Ca. Dreamin'

Ca. Dreamin' Member
    7+ Year Member

I think I am doing 10-11 Anesthesia interviews and then I am doing 6 or 7 for prelim surgery spots. My dean felt that if you do 6-8 or so interviews that you will have nothing to worry about even in the newly competative environment. This experience is painful and expensive but it is coming to an end soon.:clap:

Ca. Dreamin'

8. Just wondering, but are programs still paying for interview costs?
    Last year there were still a few programs willing to reimburse travel costs and pay for hotels....
    Northwestern (hotel)
    Yale (hotel)
    CCF (hotel)
    WashU (travel + hotel)
    Dartmouth (travel + hotel)
    UConn (travel)
    SLU (travel + hotel)
    MMC (hotel)
    etc...

Just curious...

TRG.