How many places are people going to interview at/are shooting to interview at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beezar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the competitiveness of anesthesia, how many places are you all looking to interview at? I asked my dean this and he said that he frankly didn't know considering the change in # of applicants this year.

Me, I'm thinking of interviewing at around 15. Not including those pain in the ass prelim/transitional spots...

Members don't see this ad.

hey,

i'm heading off to about 14-15 interviews too. within that i have about 5 pre-lim/trans interviews. so i guess that's about right. at least i hope so. if figured, if i visit 9 programs and don't match, it's probably a sign for me to do something else!

Twelve is my breaking point. After visiting three in one week, I think I will go insane if I push it any further.

As for prelim, my dean told me 6-9 interviews is good enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys,

i am so tired after doing 4 interviews in 6 days. i was about to sleep on today's interview. i plan on doing 14 anes interviews but not sure if i will fatigue out by january. i really wish that anes is an early match so i can plan my intern year interview accordingly. the thank you letters are pilling up. good luck everyone.

I am doing 11 anesth, 5 IM prelim & 1 surg prelim. I had quite a few more, but I declined them. My application yielded far more invitations than it was possible for me to afford or want to accept.

I applied to 25 anesth & several IM & surg prelim programs. In anesth, I was invited to 16, rejected by 4 and still don't know about 5...and plan to decline them if they ever do offer. I was very fortunate that I was able to secure so many invitations to such quality programs.

I hope that all of you were equally successful!

I think I am doing 10-11 Anesthesia interviews and then I am doing 6 or 7 for prelim surgery spots. My dean felt that if you do 6-8 or so interviews that you will have nothing to worry about even in the newly competative environment. This experience is painful and expensive but it is coming to an end soon.:clap:

Ca. Dreamin'

Just wondering, but are programs still paying for interview costs?
Last year there were still a few programs willing to reimburse travel costs and pay for hotels....
Northwestern (hotel)
Yale (hotel)
CCF (hotel)
WashU (travel + hotel)
Dartmouth (travel + hotel)
UConn (travel)
SLU (travel + hotel)
MMC (hotel)
etc...

Just curious...

TRG.