how many Post-Sec. Exp. did you include on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruin4Life

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard people on another forum post that they have 32 post-sec exps.. I only include eight, I guess I'm far on the low side. Aside from two paid jobs, three volunteer positions at different hospitals, a mentoring gig, and an academic scholarship back in freshman year I didn't include much of anything else. How many did you guys include? I have a feeling I fall way below the mean when it comes to number of post-sec exps.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean before or after AMCAS deleted my paid/non-military work? I haven't checked lately to see if it's back yet, but if it is, here's my list. I included 16. One was a conference. 3 were honors/awards (2 were repetitive honors, but because of the date requirement, had to list twice). 2 were paid/non-military, 5 were extracurriculars (all music, I'm a musician). 3 were community service/volunteering. 2 were teaching/tutoring.

21 here. I had a bunch of work experience though (I've worked like 6 or 7 different jobs through high school and college) I included involvement in sports teams, I play an instrument, some research, volunteer work, organizations involved in, and various awards I've received. I've also had the feeling that I dont have "enough" extracurrics, or not enough "significant ones". For instance, I have very little clinical experience. I guess the thing I hope they realize, is that I did the stuff that I really enjoy, and that meant the most to me. Instead of having a whole slough of extracurrics, I have just a few that I was really involved with because I loved them so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I listed 20. 9 paid jobs, some volunteer work (4 i think) and honors and awards. i had one honor that was very repetative, so i listed it once and under brief description i listed the other times i obtained the award. you are not on the low side by any means, it is really quality, not quantity, that counts.

On another note, a friend of mine (older non-trad) had about 20+ experiences listed. He was going with the old adage, if in doubt, list them all. He was told by his interviewer that it looked like he had done so much in life that how could he possibly know he wanted in medicine? This year he limited his experiences to medical related only. BTW, his GPA + MCAT were very good, he has a physics degree! Point is, you never know which way to go with these people. Luck of the draw sometimes.

I had 12 or so experienes. several paramedic jobs. couple of ER tech jobs, several volunteering things, music, etc....you know ......the usual pre-med stuff.

later

I think I had 12--two jobs (bike racer & a medical one), 2 volunteer, TAing, a couple hobby things, 2 research things, and some more impotant honors. I went for quality, not quantity-- I cant even remember all the jobs i've had, but I can't imagine anyone would care!

Hey Bruin4Life...
I put in just about the same number as you did. I included 9 experiences on my AMCAS. I figure including around 7-10 is a good number. You don't want to look like you're spreading yourself too thin. I just listed the one's that were the most important to me. I excluded things such as DJ'ing for the school radio station and playing IM sports because I really didn't think schools would care. If the experiences you've included are good one's and you've invested some time in them, I'd think you should be all set.

I listed about 8 or 9 activities I was very active in. I had a total list in the 30s because I listed a lot of awards. I checked with my pre-med advisor because I wasn't sure if all the awards were "significant" but he told me to keep all of them. So I ended up listing about 20 awards, several presentations, a paper, etc.

I only had one experience. I guess I shouldn't have slept in so late everyday.

i went with the "over-the-top" logic...
i am applying for the second time this year. last year there wasn't much space to include post-secondary experiences. i am counting on my experience to help get me interviews rather than my scores (3.4, 9, 11, 12, S). i got a few interviews late last year, was waitlisted at a couple of school, and i'm still sitting on one waitlist. i included 42 post-sec. experiences. i just submitted my amcas yesterday.

Okay guys, Pleeaaassee help me.

1.I was just wondering if any of you included some stuff in your post sec exp's that you talked about in your essays?

2.Also, did you guys put in all the fields. contact info etc for all of them?

3. Because there are 510 characters for exps. Did you make it sound all flowery and pretty (essay-style), or pretty straightforward.

4. Did you also fill all 510 for each experience??

Thanks a bunch

Originally posted by Om5:
•Okay guys, Pleeaaassee help me.

1.I was just wondering if any of you included some stuff in your post sec exp's that you talked about in your essays?

3. Because there are 510 characters for exps. Did you make it sound all flowery and pretty (essay-style), or pretty straightforward.

Thanks a bunch•

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Straightforward
4. Yes (except for awards)

Originally posted by Om5:
•Okay guys, Pleeaaassee help me.

Thanks a bunch•

1. Definitely - free clinic work, hospital work, archaeology field work/interests, Maya hieroglyphics

2. No, not all. just some.

3. just straightforward, although i went back and used "I" to make it more personal

4. No, only if i needed the space. why write nonsense if you don't need to. this is what i did. i didn't want to give them extra rubbish to fish through so they could find the fine points - that's what your personal statement is for!

Oh, yeah. um, i gave 20 post-sec.; 2 diff hospitals, 4 honors/awards, 1 poster (i will present in the future), 2 research, 2 honors theses, 1 work, 2 leadership, and some random extracurrics, not medical.