how many programs are/did you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i am having a hard time deciding where to apply. there are 10 programs that i will be super happy with, 10 that i will be happy with, and then 50 programs that will work... I have eliminated california, nyc (for cost of living reasons), the northwest (travel reasons) and chicago (personal reasons) but I want to apply everywhere else. is like 80-90 programs overkill? I don't know how i will customize my ps 90 times!!! I am scared to apply to less but after the first 20, one program seems the same as the next. any advice?!?! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 21 programs and got accepted to 5. I was NOT the most amazing applicant numbers wise but was told that my interview was the reason I was selected at every program that offered me an interview (yah only 5).

Luckily, one of the programs i wanted was in that 5.

Amyl, FYI, I don't know that you really need to customize your PS for each program (I am not; I thought about doing it but I was worried that it might be a bit transparent). Re the number of programs, I am also trying to narrow it down from a pretty staggering number (mostly to try to cut down on cost, as it gets pretty expensive to apply to >30-40 programs). FYI, most people I talk to seem to think that applying to more than 20-30 programs is overkill.

Members don't see this ad :)
>40 programs is a lot unless you have low numbers.

I'd say at least 20 programs. 30 is even better.

Remember, you can turn down interviews but you can't get em if you apply late.

Screw the bill. You're already in tons of debt. Whats another few grand.

Sounds like you're not applying to a lot of the geographically competitive regions. I think that 40-50 is definitely overkill unless your stats are poor. If you dont care about going to a program in a "less desirable area" you should be fine.

I applied to 21 programs and got accepted to 5. I was NOT the most amazing applicant numbers wise but was told that my interview was the reason I was selected at every program that offered me an interview (yah only 5).

Luckily, one of the programs i wanted was in that 5.

Did you apply outside the match? Otherwise, how do you know what programs "selected" you? I guess I am a little confused. In the match, you have no idea who "selected" you other than the program you match with. If you don't get your first pick, you know which program did NOT accept you. The only way what you write makes sense is if you were an outside the match candidate or if you got an outside the match offer because of the DO loophole. Just curious.

Sorry,

I totally read the title of the thread and posted. I was referring to acceptance to school not the match.

As for the match, i went for 30 programs and matched to one which i was ok with.

I had low numbers, I applied to 30, got 5 interviews and matched. Waiting for interviews, I felt I should have applied to more, b/c maybe I could have gotten more interviews, but retrospectively, it was the perfect number, b/c I matched somewhere, which is what I wanted.

As previously stated...low numbers you're looking at min 30 no more than 50, relatively good numbers, 25-35.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR EACH PROGRAM!

okay so how about changing my personal statement for the top 10 programs or so that i want...i was going to write the same ps but close it with a short paragraph why i am interested in that program specifically...is this a bad idea? I thought it might help?!?! show that i am interested in that program?

I don't know what "low numbers" are but I'll guess: <210 usmle, bottom half of your class?
my list as it stands now has 78 programs on it...i am going to read scutwork and the old residency reviews here and try to knock 18 off my list. I am going to keep 5 "reach" programs, the 10ish that are within reach that I will dance naked in the streets if get, and then like 50 programs that I'll be happy with....just as long as i get to be an anesthesiologist!
does that sound like a safe plan to match? I got 222/92 on step one, top 15-20% of my class and a member of the wrong AOA ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll definitely match. With 78 programs, you can add alot more reach or naked ones: don't limit yourself. PM me with about specific schools you're thinking about.

I don't know what "low numbers" are but I'll guess: <210 usmle, bottom half of your class?
my list as it stands now has 78 programs on it...i am going to read scutwork and the old residency reviews here and try to knock 18 off my list. I am going to keep 5 "reach" programs, the 10ish that are within reach that I will dance naked in the streets if get, and then like 50 programs that I'll be happy with....just as long as i get to be an anesthesiologist!
does that sound like a safe plan to match? I got 222/92 on step one, top 15-20% of my class and a member of the wrong AOA ;-)

Did both you guys have LORS in at this point? How many?
I have designated all my programs, but I dont have any LORs, they will be in in a week or so, should I just submit?

Did both you guys have LORS in at this point? How many?
I have designated all my programs, but I dont have any LORs, they will be in in a week or so, should I just submit?

I have one LOR submitted and two that will hopefully be in within the next week or two. If your app is ready, I think that you might as well submit it (also, I recall hearing something about how LORs can't be uploaded until you submit your application). In the end, it likely doesn't matter too much (as long as you submit within the fairly near future) as the PD at my home program said that he generally holds off on actually reviewing apps/offering interviews until at least the transcripts are in (should be sometime this month) and indicated that this is pretty common amongst programs; I submitted mine yesterday in large part to just get it off my mind.

I submitted right away for the same reason as lush...mainly to get it done with and off my mind. I have zero LORs in now, and I have a feeling they may not trickle in for the next couple weeks, but I figured if I had the main app and PS as ready as they were gonna be, might as well submit.

I am applying to 45 anesthesia programs and 10 py.... BTW I am an fmg, so I am not sure if that number is ok or if I should apply to more programs...

I have the big goose egg for LORs right now as well. Hopefully will be getting them in the next few weeks. I applied to 70. I was cruising along fine at about 30, and then I kind of lost control and starting applying everywhere. I just want to do anesthesia. I would go to Madagascar if they had a program. Plus I realized how sub-par my scores and grades really are.

Submitted... 32 anesthesia programs, 5 TY. 0 LORs as of now. So nervous/excited!

Just applied to 20.

I didn't do my homework about what prelim programs are good so I applied to almost all of the prelim med and transitional years in CA (28, and then I realized I could add more transitionals for free so it became 31). I don't know how to narrow them down...

Letters all pending

EDIT:

http://www.grogono.com/nrmp/2006/NRMP%2006 Programs Matched.pdf is a quick way to see how many spots are available at each program all at once. I figure the number of spots you're applying to means more than the number of programs.

Look forward to seeing what you guys do on the interview front. Check out last year's list, and PM those of us who had invites @ the same places for tips.

Remember, over apply: Even though I had plenty of invites, there are a few places I would have liked to interview at. Never limit yourself, and if you even think about trying some place out, apply there!

Applied to 51 programs, 7 prelim med/ty,
LORs are in but not scanned. I am interested to see how long it takes my school to scan everything and to get my transcript to ERAS
Late,
Cola

As an IMG do you think I should apply to more programs or 46 is a good number to start with??

24 programs, all in the Northeast. Good luck everyone!

Good numbers and US MD school: Apply 20 max (15 probably okay).

Good numbers and school with applications handicap (DO or IMG): Apply 30, include safeties.

Average numbers and US MD school: Apply 20 - 30

Bad numbers and school with applications handicap: Heh. I don't know. See advice from people above. Maybe 40.

30 Gas Programs ($290)
10 Prelim Medicine ($60)
10 TY ($60)
Transmission fees for USMLE/COMLEX ($100)

Matching...Priceless

31 anesthesia programs...10 prelim medicine...0 LOR in so far

what about california programs? I am from the SF bay area but go to school back east. I am under the assumption that any program i apply to in california should be matched by another program somewhere else because it is so competitive. Since i am applying to eight CA programs I have been looking for an additional 8 peograms to apply too

41 anesthesia + 16 prelims/transitionals

and of course as soon as i clicked the button to submit i got two e-mails with notifications of things i could've added to my application...doh

Ok so I am a USIMG and I have applied to 97 gas programs all over the US

I know its crazy but I am couples matching which makes this REALLY complicated so I needed some advice.

Where the heck do I apply for TY or prelim years since I am all over the place. Can I wait till Nov and see where I get interviews before I apply or is that just dumb?? I am so lost. I will do prelim in surg, IM or a TY I am not picky I just can not apply to all over the US in both gas and TY, prelim med and prelim surg so what is the best way to do this????

Thanks for any help you can supply.

My scores if this helps:
Step 1 229/93
Step 2 CK 235/97

Ok so I am a USIMG and I have applied to 97 gas programs all over the US

I know its crazy but I am couples matching which makes this REALLY complicated so I needed some advice.

Where the heck do I apply for TY or prelim years since I am all over the place. Can I wait till Nov and see where I get interviews before I apply or is that just dumb?? I am so lost. I will do prelim in surg, IM or a TY I am not picky I just can not apply to all over the US in both gas and TY, prelim med and prelim surg so what is the best way to do this????

Thanks for any help you can supply.

My scores if this helps:
Step 1 229/93
Step 2 CK 235/97

Having to do your prelim in a different part of the country is not the end of the world. If location is important, prelim surg positions seem easier to get.

I have only applied to 15 programs and I am getting nervous with all these posts. I am in the top 1/3 of my class, have alot of basic science research experience (no gas research), good volunteer experience, and a USMLE Step 1 of 248/99. Should I apply to more programs?

W222, I had almost the exact scores as you: top 1/3 238/246 for usmle step1/2.
I applied late, I sent my app in at 1100 pm on Halloween after writing my personal statement in 2 hrs from scratch. My department chair sent in rec in a week or so after that (the bastard) and with all that procrastination, I got interviews at all but one of the places I applied to. I was 14/15 for interviews for anesthesia and 2/2 on prelim year. I had zero trouble matching at my number one choices in each.

So, in other words, don't stress out, your scores are highly competitive.

where is last year's interview threat? i can't seem to find it. thanks.

Applied to 27 Gas and 24 Prelim Med

LOR: all uploaded 1 Med, 1 Peds, 1 Anesth, 1 Anesth Chair

anything over 40 gas programs is INSANE, and it really doesn't matter what your board scores are. Most programs at a certain tier are pretty similar in terms of applicants they choose to interview so once you get past say 20 in the same tier there's not much to be gained from applying to more. If you can't pull 8 or 9 interviews outta the first 20, why do you think you'll be able to pull more from 20 others? If the first 20 didn't like your app then why would the next 20? Its just diminishing returns. On top of that even if you do get an interview to all 40, you can't go. No way you can do more 15 interviews w/costs and time constraints. So here's my advice

Figure out if your a strong, avg, or weak candidate. Most of you will fall into the avg catagory, and theres nothing wrong w/that. It was me last year

If your strong, apply to the top 20 programs and 10 mid tier back ups just in case

If your avg apply to 5 top programs 20 mid tier programs and 5 lower tier programs

If your weak, apply to 10 mid tier and 20 less competitive ones.

Once you get past 30 your just diluting yourself and wasting money. Do you really want to go to podunk when you live all the way out in east bumblf*ck? So pick the programs you really want to match at and then draw pick your absolute favorite citys and do yourself a favor and stop at ~30 - 35. You'll thank me later

28 anesthesia, 10 prelim medicine, 14 TY
I didn't do enough research on programs beforehand so I think I over-applied. That ERAS point and click just makes it too easy and tempting. I've heard stories from last year's applicants about scrambling for internship year so I made sure to have enough prelim and ty programs.

anything over 40 gas programs is INSANE, and it really doesn't matter what your board scores are. Most programs at a certain tier are pretty similar in terms of applicants they choose to interview so once you get past say 20 in the same tier there's not much to be gained from applying to more. If you can't pull 8 or 9 interviews outta the first 20, why do you think you'll be able to pull more from 20 others? If the first 20 didn't like your app then why would the next 20? Its just diminishing returns. On top of that even if you do get an interview to all 40, you can't go. No way you can do more 15 interviews w/costs and time constraints. So here's my advice

Figure out if your a strong, avg, or weak candidate. Most of you will fall into the avg catagory, and theres nothing wrong w/that. It was me last year

If your strong, apply to the top 20 programs and 10 mid tier back ups just in case

If your avg apply to 5 top programs 20 mid tier programs and 5 lower tier programs

If your weak, apply to 10 mid tier and 20 less competitive ones.

Once you get past 30 your just diluting yourself and wasting money. Do you really want to go to podunk when you live all the way out in east bumblf*ck? So pick the programs you really want to match at and then draw pick your absolute favorite citys and do yourself a favor and stop at ~30 - 35. You'll thank me later

This sounds like sound advice, because we all know that this crap is expensive. But my question is this, how do we know which are mid tier and which are low tier. Yeah, most of us can gauge the top ones, but after that, we don't really know much. I have classmates applying to more 30-50.

I myself am an average applicant applying to 25 Anesthesia, 10 prelim, and 10TY. Don't plan on going to more than 10 interviews. I think I have a decent chance at my school and it's a very good program.

wow that hurt! just forked over $1000 to apply. 50 anes, 5 tys. i just couldn't narrow it down anymore :confused: going to have add more prelims/tys i think but for now my brain and wallet are fried. quick question... i saw something suggesting that our dean's office uploads the photo of us...is this true? great, now they are all going to see my ugly id picture with my eyes closed! :laugh:
good luck everyone!

27 Gas programs
13 IM Prelim programs
7 Transitional

Let the fun and games begin! :D

quick question... i saw something suggesting that our dean's office uploads the photo of us...is this true? great, now they are all going to see my ugly id picture with my eyes closed! :laugh:
good luck everyone!

The dean's office does upload pictures but at my school you can provide them with a nice picture you've arranged for with the local photographer. You you are concerned about an unflattering picture (which programs will only see once they offer you an interview), ask your dean's office if you can provide your own picture.

This sounds like sound advice, because we all know that this crap is expensive. But my question is this, how do we know which are mid tier and which are low tier. Yeah, most of us can gauge the top ones, but after that, we don't really know much. I have classmates applying to more 30-50.

I myself am an average applicant applying to 25 Anesthesia, 10 prelim, and 10TY. Don't plan on going to more than 10 interviews. I think I have a decent chance at my school and it's a very good program.

Its tough to know which are the mid which are the low. My best advice is to narrow it down by region and just apply to all the non name programs in that area if you want to. You'll most likely get a good mix

For example lets say you want to stay on the east coast. NYC has 11 programs not counting NYU, Columbia, and Cornell, look at the philly programs thats another 4 not counting UPenn, UConn, and the NJ programs make 18, penn state and UMaryland make 20. Thats 20 right there that should give you a good mix of mid and low tier institutions. Add in the boston programs in the same fashion and you should be up to ~25 programs w/out any name schools. Throw in 5 or 6 name schools just in case and thats your list. If you can't get enough interviews to match w/that list then you won't get many more by applying to more programs and probably won't match anyway b/c you'll be low on most peoples lists. OTOH, if you're a candidate w/a good chance of matching somewhere, that list should secure between 8-15 interviews which is plenty to match somewhere.