How many programs should I be applying to as an "average" applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kansas619

Reaction score
I'm applying during the 2022-23 cycle, and I'm starting to get more stressed as summer approaches. After reading several threads on here, I feel as though most people typically apply to an upwards of 10 schools and I'm not sure if I want to take that route. There are four programs I'm looking to apply to... but now that it's getting closer I'm second guessing if I should be looking into applying to more. My GPA is certainly on the average, if not lower side- I've tried to make up for it with my involvement and experience. I would love a second opinion on my stats, and if anybody has experience with applying to any of these schools please share!

Major: Exercise Science
cGPA and pGPA: 3.55-3.6
GRE: taking in June
Observation: ~300 hours across five clinics
Experience: Two jobs as a PT tech (outpatient) as well as observing inpatient, neuro, geriatrics, and sports
Volunteering: Domestic violence survivor shelter, volunteered every week in hospital emergency department
Extracurriculars: Pre-PT club, sorority executive board, mortar board honor society, student government leadership position.
Scholarships: Two received from my university, a distinguished leader scholarship, and another scholarship from my sorority.
Letters of Rec: 2 from PTs, 1 from physics prof (got an A in both physics 1 and 2!), and 1 from my advisor who helps oversee my student gov position.

Looking to apply to University of Kansas, Rockhurst University, UNC-Chapel Hill, and St. Augustine (Dallas).

Members don't see this ad.

Be proud! Your stats are not on the lower, if anything they are most likely in the top quartile. Think more about what schools you would actually go to. I had applied to 10 schools, but when I got accepted to the first one, I ended up declining even though I hadn't gotten another acceptance yet just because I really couldn't see myself going there.

You'll most likely get into all your programs as long as you don't bomb the interviews.

Your stats look good! The average applicant applies to 5.5 schools, according to PTCAS. The number is different for everyone based on cost, and I've worked with people who have applied to anywhere between 1-20+ schools, but I would only recommend applying to schools you can actually see yourself attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying during the 2022-23 cycle, and I'm starting to get more stressed as summer approaches. After reading several threads on here, I feel as though most people typically apply to an upwards of 10 schools and I'm not sure if I want to take that route. There are four programs I'm looking to apply to... but now that it's getting closer I'm second guessing if I should be looking into applying to more. My GPA is certainly on the average, if not lower side- I've tried to make up for it with my involvement and experience. I would love a second opinion on my stats, and if anybody has experience with applying to any of these schools please share!

Major: Exercise Science
cGPA and pGPA: 3.55-3.6
GRE: taking in June
Observation: ~300 hours across five clinics
Experience: Two jobs as a PT tech (outpatient) as well as observing inpatient, neuro, geriatrics, and sports
Volunteering: Domestic violence survivor shelter, volunteered every week in hospital emergency department
Extracurriculars: Pre-PT club, sorority executive board, mortar board honor society, student government leadership position.
Scholarships: Two received from my university, a distinguished leader scholarship, and another scholarship from my sorority.
Letters of Rec: 2 from PTs, 1 from physics prof (got an A in both physics 1 and 2!), and 1 from my advisor who helps oversee my student gov position.

Looking to apply to University of Kansas, Rockhurst University, UNC-Chapel Hill, and St. Augustine (Dallas).
It is not about the number of schools you apply to, but how competitive they are and how close your stats are to the stats of the average student that gets accepted to that school. You can request those stats from each school to get a better idea where you stand for each school. You should be fine for St Augustine.

I would suggest not applying to schools unless you know you want to go there! I think 4 is fine.

for example I applied to too many schools and I did it because I was really worried about my stats/chances -- but it ended up being a big waste of money, oops. I applied to 10 schools but I really would have been just fine applying to 4-5.