how many programs to apply to if location is key?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammich81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the residents on this forum- did any of you apply to slightly fewer programs than recommended because you were geographically restricted in your preferences? For personal reasons I want to be in Cleveland, which has 2 or 3 programs. I am a strong candidate in terms of grades, scores, and recs and will be rotating at one hospital in October. Just wondering if this is an ok idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Sammich81 said:
For the residents on this forum- did any of you apply to slightly fewer programs than recommended because you were geographically restricted in your preferences? For personal reasons I want to be in Cleveland, which has 2 or 3 programs. I am a strong candidate in terms of grades, scores, and recs and will be rotating at one hospital in October. Just wondering if this is an ok idea.

Risky. Apply to some secondary locations that you might be able to tolerate, but don't rank any program you couldn't see yourself training at.

Sammich81 said:

My advice is: Listen to UT's advice. He's an expert in the landing-an-anesthesia-residency arena.

Members don't see this ad :)
For one thing, hope to heck you like the programs there. I have no personal experience with Cleveland, but I know that CCF is a pretty large program so all things being equal you've got better chances there than a program that has 5 spots. In any case, at least look fairly close by. Like weekend driving distance places. Ann Arbor, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Columbus should all be less than 3 hours drive time. With that slight geographical expansion you are in reach of some excellent programs, and a few back ups on the rank list.

I know it's heresay, but I did meet a few people on the interview trail that only ranked one place because they were 'promised' a spot to stay with a significant other, etc. Well they were all interviewing during their intern year, again, so that should be caution enough.

2ndyear said:
In any case, at least look fairly close by. Like weekend driving distance places. Ann Arbor, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Columbus should all be less than 3 hours drive time. With that slight geographical expansion you are in reach of some excellent programs, and a few back ups on the rank list.

I second this advice... there are several programs in Ohio alone that are not in Cleveland. Throw in the surrounding states (western PA, MI, IN, WV, even Buffalo) and you're likely to sleep better during those weeks leading up to match day.

Apply to? All of them. Rank? That's up to you. You have to weigh training in a program you may not like vs. not matching, neither of which is a particularly good option. Looking at nearby programs is also a very good idea. All that being said, if you're a good applicant, you should stand a good chance. I actually like Cleveland, but it's probably not a location most people put on the top of "places I really want to live" list.