How many programs to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
as an IMG, should I apply all the family medicine programs that I may POSSIBLY be interested in (around 35 programs), or should I limit the number to less than that? I just want to maximize my chances of matching into a program.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Peeshee said:
Hi,
as an IMG, should I apply all the family medicine programs that I may POSSIBLY be interested in (around 35 programs), or should I limit the number to less than that? I just want to maximize my chances of matching into a program.
Thank you.

I am an IMG going to start in July. Apply to the programs you would definitely want to interview at...I applied at 30-40. That was probably too many because trying to schedule interviews and going to them can be a hassle. I scheduled 13 and went to 9 interviews and that was plenty for me (it gets old very fast). I realized that whoever I put at the top was where I was going to go, not an easy choice for me. I didn't get interviews at some places I was really interested in (JPS in TX). Also realize it's not cheap to apply either, if money is an issue, so I'd probably be more picky if I had to do it again. Luckily FP isn't cutthroat so that you would have to interview everywhere you were accepted just to hope to match. I doubt you'll have no problems finding programs interested in your app. Just apply early and keep on top of things.

dj_smooth said:
I am an IMG going to start in July. Apply to the programs you would definitely want to interview at...I applied at 30-40. That was probably too many because trying to schedule interviews and going to them can be a hassle. I scheduled 13 and went to 9 interviews and that was plenty for me (it gets old very fast). I realized that whoever I put at the top was where I was going to go, not an easy choice for me. I didn't get interviews at some places I was really interested in (JPS in TX). Also realize it's not cheap to apply either, if money is an issue, so I'd probably be more picky if I had to do it again. Luckily FP isn't cutthroat so that you would have to interview everywhere you were accepted just to hope to match. I doubt you'll have no problems finding programs interested in your app. Just apply early and keep on top of things.

Thanks a lot for your response! I 'll try to narrow down the number somehow. It's just that I'm very flexible as to what state I'd like to live in. I've heard it's not good to base your decision on whether the program is opposed/unopposed, so I'm trying not to do that. But I think that should have some influence on my decision. Anyway, thanks a lot for your advice!

dj_smooth said:

The irony is JPS only filled 17 of its 25 slots on match day!!