General Admissions & OTCAS How many Rec letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTMSW2019

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

All the schools I am applying to require 3 rec letters (one from OT, 1 from professor, 1 other). However, I know that OTCAS allows you to submit up to 5. Is there a benefit in sending in more than required? Should I worry about asking for more than 3?

Members don't see this ad.

I had one school tell me to upload as many as I want as long as they are beneficial to my application because there was a "chance" that admissions might read them but it wasn't a guarantee and I had another school tell me they wont read anything more than 3. It really just depends on the program. I would suggest your email the schools you want to apply to and ask this question. Doesn't hurt!

I uploaded all 5 because my schools wanted letters from different people. One of my schools wanted one from an employer, a few required one from an OT, and one other did not specify at all. So I uploaded 2 from professors, one from my advisor, an OT, and one from my employer of 4 years.