How many sample tests would have been ideal - and when to take them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing, MCATers!

How many practice tests do you think would have been ideal to take?

When would you have taken your first test?

How many in the weeks before the test?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were to say what was ideal, I'd say only do maybe three real MCATs and parts of a Kaplan, PR, or EK.

Do the Kaplan, etc., while you're working.
For the first MCAT, just do BS and PS to identify your weaknesses.
Do the last two under timed conditions, to track your progress.

Really, though, I got by with only two real MCATs and a Kaplan. I got a "13-15" on my first VR, so I never even tried it again.

As for the writing sample - if you are even a remotely good writer, and can spell and punctuate properly, don't even worry about it. Honestly.

That's how I see things, anyway. Actual mileage may vary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice exams???? No practice exam could have prepared you for the carnage we experienced today!!

As many as possible.

Actually, I think that might be the way to go...no real studying...just practice tests....well...less studying anyway...

Do you think maybe I should take one more practice test tonight? I haven't taken 7R yet... Do you think it's worth the $40 if I just finished taking the real April MCAT?

HA HA HA HA HA! Sorry for the folks who struggled today. My form seemed similar in difficulty to my practice tests, on which I did OK, so I'm reasonably hopeful for a good score.

liverotcod said:
Do you think maybe I should take one more practice test tonight? I haven't taken 7R yet... Do you think it's worth the $40 if I just finished taking the real April MCAT?

HA HA HA HA HA! Sorry for the folks who struggled today. My form seemed similar in difficulty to my practice tests, on which I did OK, so I'm reasonably hopeful for a good score.

you lucky lucky person ......... (trying hard to rub some luck off of liverotcod)

ON NOOOOOO! I've been delucked!

(does luck rubbing build up an electrostatic charge, I wonder? WAIT - I don't need to know that anymore!)

liverotcod said:
My form seemed similar in difficulty to my practice tests, on which I did OK, so I'm reasonably hopeful for a good score.
I wonder if you were one of the "lucky" ones who's test matched well with your knowledge, or if people just have widely different impressions of the test...