How many schools are you applying to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

see above

  • 1

    Votes: 5 8.8%
  • 2-5

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • 5-10

    Votes: 4 7.0%
  • 10+

    Votes: 31 54.4%
  • Every school out there

    Votes: 4 7.0%
  • HA! It's going to be at least 5-10 years before I have to worry about that!

    Votes: 6 10.5%

  • Total voters
    57
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been going back-and-forth about this -- I think I'm just going to apply to all of the TX schools, including TCOM (8 total schools.) I don't really want to move out-of-state, and I don't really want to pay out-of-state or private school tuition (I'm assuming the worst -- that I don't get any type of non-loan financial aid.)

I'm still waffling about the issue, though. Anyone have any advice? Any other good non-trad friendly schools in the South? I grew up in NJ (basically NYC area,) went to school in Pittsburgh, and therefore, have no desire to live anywhere cold (been there, done that) except maybe Seattle (yeah, I know about UWash.)

Thanks,

Jota
 
I'm applying to 17 schools, i think. 2 schools that are "safety", 10 schools that are in my range, 5 reach schools
 
Pretty much because I'm limited on living options.
#1 - financially I don't know if I can support myself on student loans (I'll already have quite a bit racked up)
#2 - Main school is in-state tuition, $17K a year. Again, referred to #1
#3 - I don't want to leave my husband (who will be in residency) we have house responsibilities (not that we even have time to clean) and pets.

I was curious as to non-trads and how many with families, etc would only want to stay in certain areas.
 
I am planning to move to Texas (two job interviews tomorrow), where the change in pre-med climate may help me. I'm going to stay in Texas for a few years, become a resident, and apply again. Thus, I've got one more year of applying as a CO in-stater, so I might as well just toss one in.
 
I'd love to stay where I am, but no guarantee that it'll happen.. (2 options in town, 2 more within a 2 hour drive)

If I have to move, I don't want to go much further from my family than I already am (about a 6 hour drive). From my hometown, that casts quite a big net with a LOT of schools in it. I need to go through and pare down which ones might be a good fit, but I'm pretty sure my list will be around 15 by the time I'm done.
 
I am also applying a 6 hour driving time radius and expecting 15-20, both MD and DO. I have kids so I'm hoping to stay close, but it's a crapshoot...
 
jota_jota said:
I've been going back-and-forth about this -- I think I'm just going to apply to all of the TX schools, including TCOM (8 total schools.) I don't really want to move out-of-state, and I don't really want to pay out-of-state or private school tuition (I'm assuming the worst -- that I don't get any type of non-loan financial aid.)

I'm still waffling about the issue, though. Anyone have any advice? Any other good non-trad friendly schools in the South? I grew up in NJ (basically NYC area,) went to school in Pittsburgh, and therefore, have no desire to live anywhere cold (been there, done that) except maybe Seattle (yeah, I know about UWash.)

Thanks,

Jota
You might consider Miami and Tulane for MD schools, and there are two DO schools in FL also: NSU and LECOM-Bradenton. I thought that Miami in particular was very non-trad friendly. I have to warn you up front though that they do still give in-state preference even though they're private.
 
MiesVanDerMom said:
I am also applying a 6 hour driving time radius and expecting 15-20, both MD and DO. I have kids so I'm hoping to stay close, but it's a crapshoot...

My "center" is Cincinnati (where the fam is), so if you're starting from Pittsburgh, we'll probably be hitting some of the same schools. Want to meet up somewhere around, say, Ohio State? 😛
 
I'd apply to schools within 6 hrs but I really only have KCUMB which I am really scared about $38K a year. If my husband has to move to residency to his 2nd choice we'll be in the Ohio area, so then my options open up. My most likely we'll still be in Oklahoma. 🙂
 
Illinois is my starting base, so I'll apply to all the schools there. I'm also going to apply to Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and probably Minnesota schools too, just in case. 6 hours is a good radius, and that includes just about every area I mentioned.

Since we don't have kids, I might throw in a few other schools that are a little further out just for fun, depending on how my MCAT turns out.

I'm applying both MD and DO, so that puts me at applying to a little over 20 schools. Of course, I may end up dropping that number later on, but that's my initial plan.
 
megboo said:
Since we don't have kids, I might throw in a few other schools that are a little further out just for fun, depending on how my MCAT turns out.

Yeah, this helps. I'm also considering a few schools near where some friends are living (NC, Long Island). That's a little risky, though- if they would move, there goes the social support.
 
Right now, it's looking like Creighton, KU, MU, KCUMB, KCOM, DMU for sure...maybe the FL D.O schools, and the DO in AZ.

If I could get the scholly to KU where you work in KS for 4 years after residency, that would be a dream come true...get a stipend while attending MS and getting to move back home...debt free making a Dr.'s salary doing a job I enjoy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm only applying to the three Texas dental schools. The dentist that wrote my letter of recommendation used to teach at two of the three and told me that I should definitely get in to one if not all of them after looking at my transcripts and resume.

I'm hoping to stay in Texas to be close to family and it will be much less expensive. I'm planning on borrowing around $50,000 - $80,000 for the entire time that I'm in dental school. If I went out of state my student loan requirements would double or cost even more than that.
 
aggie-master said:
I'm only applying to the three Texas dental schools. The dentist that wrote my letter of recommendation used to teach at two of the three and told me that I should definitely get in to one if not all of them after looking at my transcripts and resume.

Way to go. Wish i had that luxury.
 
QofQuimica said:
You might consider Miami and Tulane for MD schools, and there are two DO schools in FL also: NSU and LECOM-Bradenton. I thought that Miami in particular was very non-trad friendly. I have to warn you up front though that they do still give in-state preference even though they're private.

Thanks QoQ! FL is one of the places I wouldn't mind living. I thought I had ruled out FL schools because they accept a pittance of out-of-staters (which seems like it is the case, even based upon what you said) but I'll take another look at those. Researching the various DO schools has been on my "to do" list for a while now -- I'll need to get around to it soon.

Jota
 
I'm applying to all CA schools minus Loma Linda..haha. Then a select few from other states that I can see myself living in. I despise cold. But we'll see, I may have a change of heart when I apply in 2 years.

Hopefully I can just stay in CA😉. I think the going rate is to sacrifice an elephant, and 2 Emu's to the UC gods so they would let me in :laugh:
 
i live in queens and want to stay in nyc to tend for my sick mother and the rest of my family. but, i will apply to all of the suny state schools, schools in nyc, long island, upstate, ct, mass, nj, and pa. so, like 15 schools? as long as i am close to my parents i will be ecstatic.
 
Haven't settled on a final number yet, although since I'm an international student i have to apply to 15-20 to maximize my chances, i'm hoping it works out!! :luck:
 
I would absolutely love to stay in CA, but I know it would be really foolish of me to only apply to CA schools. 🙁 I'm going to aim for about 20 schools. I just need to narrow down the areas that I wouldn't mind relocating to if it came to that. I wish AZ & NV had more schools! Cuz at least those 2 states are somewhat within driving distance of So. CA.
 
I'm applying to one school - my state school. With a husband who has a well-established business here, two kids, and owning a home, it doesn't make sense to pick up and move. The school is less than 5 minutes from my house. In-state tuition here is only $8k/year - a *huge* plus to going to school here!

So I'm EDP all the way. 😉 If I don't get in that way I'll just be biting my nails until I hear from them later in the application season. I think I'm a competitive candidate but you never know.
 
I'm applying to Chapel Hill and Duke. My support system is in this area. And both of these schools are 20 minutes from my house. I just need to have my ducks in a row and at the right place at the right time.
 
I'm in NC too. I'll apply to all the schools in NC except Duke, all schools in VA, and all schools in SC. I think I'll apply to ETSU as well. So that is like 8-9. I'm also going to apply to some DO schools also on the East Coast. However, my dream would be either ECU in Greenville, NC or Chapel Hill. Got to study hard....
 
I applied to two and regret not broadening my application. I should have applied to all the state schools in Fl (FSU,USF. and UF) but I wanted to stay within a few hour drive of home . My husband has 23 years at his job and 2 kids left in public schools I would have to move away. As it is now I got into NSUCOM and will still move down there during the week as the commute is too long in traffic. UM did not offer an interveiw but waited till end of March to reject my application (Ugh 😡 ). I should have given all the state schools a shot but didn't want to leave my comfort zone. If I had gotten into a state school I could have gotten a break on tuition to the tune of 10.000-a year. I am very happy with NSU but the guilt over having 3 of us in college and essentially wiping out 20 years of savings is there. Also I was asked at my interveiw about the narrowness of my application-it does not look like you are serious about med school. My friend who only applied to NSU was put on waitlist and this was probably an issue. It is like you want to go but not be inconvenienced.
 
i want to stay in-state so, the 3 MD schools in michigan this year... I'd rather wait another year for med school than pay out of state tuition somewhere. Of course if I don't get in this year, I'll apply everywhere in the Great Lakes states area next year, and hope for the best.