How many schools are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many schools is everyone applying to? And how many should be considered the 'bare minimum'?

I am only applying to 6 schools. Mistake?

Members don't see this ad.

I think 6 is risky. Even if you have a 4.0 and 35 Mcat you never know. I would add a few more to be safe.

Bare minimum is 1 school, otherwise you aren't applying. :rolleyes:

I applied to 10 last cycle.

Without any other information about you, 6 seems a little low. It all depends on your stats, though. Six could be just fine for you, but I would go with 10+. You don't want to completely limit yourself!

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably make it closer to 10, just to be on safe side. This admissions process can be a crapshoot.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Probably make it closer to 10, just to be on safe side. This admissions process can be a crapshoot.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

I wouldn't attend any schools other than those that I am applying to (absolutely nothing to do with the caliber of schools, just regional preference due to family situations). The schools are all on the east coast.

I feel like it is a waste to apply to more, but maybe I should add just a few more in case my situation changes within the next year...?

Last edited:
I applied to 10. Not sure if it was really necessary, but I figured I was covering my bases in doing so. My friend applied to 6 last year, got invited to 6 interviews (attended 3) and was accepted at all 3 with mediocre stats. He had a 26 MCAT and a bit above 3.5 GPA. I wouldn't worry about it! Good luck!

I wouldn't attend any schools other than those that I am applying to (absolutely nothing to do with the caliber of schools, just regional preference due to family situations). The schools are all on the east coast.

I feel like it is a waste to apply to more, but maybe I should add just a few more in case my situation changes within the next year...?

Don't have an MCAT score yet, but practice score range 23-38 (Not like that helps! :-D) and 3.45/3.45.

Geez 15 points? That is a large difference. If it ends up being closer to the 38, then you will probably have quite a few options like the friend of the poster above me.

I wouldn't attend any schools other than those that I am applying to (absolutely nothing to do with the caliber of schools, just regional preference due to family situations).

There's your answer. If you wouldn't go to the school anyway, what's the point in applying to it? Seems like a waste of resources to me.

I wouldn't completely rule out MD schools in your area, either. The GPA isn't as high as it could be, but if you hit the higher end of the MCAT scores (35+), you stand a decent shot. DO's a safer bet, but if you want to stay regional, I'd suggest applying broadly on both tracks. That makes more sense than applying to an extra few DO schools you're not interested in anyway.

Good luck! :)

How many schools is everyone applying to? And how many should be considered the 'bare minimum'?

I am only applying to 6 schools. Mistake?

I am applying to 11 or 12 DO schools and 5 or 6 MD schools (I don't remember exactly, and I am too lazy to look it up right now).

I am a non-traditional-career-changer with a 31R and 3.64 GPA.

dsoz

I am applying to 11 or 12 DO schools and 5 or 6 MD schools (I don't remember exactly, and I am too lazy to look it up right now).

I am a non-traditional-career-changer with a 31R and 3.64 GPA.

dsoz

Those seem like decent stats, why so little MD schools?

I think I'm doing 10-15 DO and all TX schools, hopefully I get in somewhere.

I'm applying to every DO school that doesn't have regional preference (except I'm applying to TCOM since it's instate for me and also the new DO schools)

Then I'm also applying to the Texas MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took a look at your stats... nice. Get those secondaries in pronto! Pre-write as much as you can.

Thanks! I definitely will this time around, but how often to schools change their secondary essay questions? I was thinking of going through the school specific threads from last year and starting, but I don't want it to be a complete waste of time.

i was thinking about 15 DO schools. still not sure about applying to the new ones though. as for regional preference, i don't really have one. i would literally go to a school in middle of nowhere, as long as its in America.

Don't have an MCAT score yet, but practice score range 23-38 (Not like that helps! :-D) and 3.45/3.45.

A 3.45/23 is pretty low to be applying only to 6 schools.

I have a 3.2/33 and I'm applying to 24MD and 9 DO schools.

I'm applying to 16 schools: 6 DO and 10 MD and that's because I just can't afford to pay for any more. I cringe at the thought of what I will have to pay when the secondaries come around (if they even come around).

I think I'm applying to around 12..but I don't know about regional biases. cGPA is a 3.47 and sGPA is like a 3.32 I think. MCAT is a 29Q.

Also, I'm from Florida. Does that count towards the "region" for some of these southeast schools?

A 3.45/23 is pretty low to be applying only to 6 schools.

I have a 3.2/33 and I'm applying to 24MD and 9 DO schools.

I haven't taken my MCAT yet. My first practice test was a 23 (thus the 23-38 range).

cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.81, MCAT 28. Applied to 9 DO schools because it was tough to decide between several and it was too easy to add a bunch. Haven't submited MD yet but so far looks like about 14 with stats slightly lower.

Feel like my family and nerves may pressure me into adding my local DO school. And NOVA looks nice... It's hard to not just keep adding, but that initial bill :eek:. Wasn't expecting that. I don't know how people apply to less than 15.

Last edited:
I'm applying to 14 DO schools and 25 MD schools. I think I have everyone beat, right? :) My stats are kind of mediocre though so the more schools the better.

yes shotgun apps! lol
I am applying to 20 DO schools, hopefully someone will show me some love.

I'm applying to 14 DO schools and 25 MD schools. I think I have everyone beat, right? :) My stats are kind of mediocre though so the more schools the better.

Yup. 24MD, 9DO here.

I'm definitely planning on applying to AT LEAST 20 schools...