-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How many schools did you apply to?
Started by MnW2014
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Well- my first year I applied to 3 and then my 2nd cycle I applied to 6. 4 is a pretty decent number, I think! Looking back, I didn't need to apply to 6 schools- since I declined invites for 2, Interviewed at 2, and was rejected from 2. It all just depends, though. I wish you all luck who are applying for the C/O 2018!
Thanks! That makes me feel better. I have received an interview to Missouri so far and I haven't heard anything from the others. So hopefully it will all work out!Well- my first year I applied to 3 and then my 2nd cycle I applied to 6. 4 is a pretty decent number, I think! Looking back, I didn't need to apply to 6 schools- since I declined invites for 2, Interviewed at 2, and was rejected from 2. It all just depends, though. I wish you all luck who are applying for the C/O 2018!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's awesome, congrats! I think if you've already received an interview, you should be fine- don't fret about it! I've seen some people on here apply to just one school and be fine- others apply to 20 schools, so I think it just has to do with each individual (and I'd say money, for those applying to 20!)
I applied to six and have my fingers crossed. I could have applied to more for the hell of it, but I chose schools that I feel fit me the best, and are schools that I would definitely pick up everything and move to if/when accepted. Oh, and I also chose schools in areas which allow Pit Bulls. This narrowed my list a bit. I think a good number is relative to you, your situation, and what you want.
I applied to schools that my state (Arkansas) has contracts with and the schools that I felt would suit me best. My GRE score is the worst part of my application so I definitely applied to Missouri since they only count GRE as 4%.I applied to six and have my fingers crossed. I could have applied to more for the hell of it, but I chose schools that I feel fit me the best, and are schools that I would definitely pick up everything and move to if/when accepted. Oh, and I also chose schools in areas which allow Pit Bulls. This narrowed my list a bit. I think a good number is relative to you, your situation, and what you want.
Last edited:
That is exactly why I applied to Missouri as well because of my GRE scores. Fingers crossed for you!I applied to schools that my state (Arkansas) has contracts with and the schools that I felt I would suit me best. My GRE score is the worst part of my application so I defiantly applied to Missouri since they only count GRE as 4%.
Yeah don't worry about not applying to too many, it's really up to you! I personally decided to do an excessive amount of schools (14), but I had my reasons for it. I'm determined not to have to apply a second time so I figured it would be better to spend all the money and effort to try at every place that I would happily attend/seemed like a good fit for my application in terms of how they score grades/gre, and I split my schools as 6 US and 6 international (because at the time I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay abroad or go back home). Also my application isn't the strongest because of my middling undergrad grades, so I wanted to try to apply as many places as possible in case I get rejected from a lot. They were all schools I would have strongly considered attending... but now that I've firmly decided my first choice is definitely staying in the UK if possible due to my SO, in retrospect it was a bit of a waste applying to some of the states schools. But it made sense at the time, and so we'll see how it goes!
Anyways.. Congrats on getting your missouri interview! Best of luck!! 🙂
Anyways.. Congrats on getting your missouri interview! Best of luck!! 🙂
I'm among the all-my-eggs-in-one-basket applicants. I had planned on applying to 4 or 5 (I could barely afford that many), but I ended up getting accepted to a PhD program that's at the same university as the vet school (Texas A&M), so that made my decision easier (read: harder). Haha. I worry about applying to just one school, but it seemed like the best choice for me. Everyone will be different. I finish my courses next fall and will be free to do my research anywhere after that, so I may broaden my horizons if I don't get accepted this time around. Really hoping to be a one-time applicant, but I can definitely see having to apply 3 or more times given my grades.
Good luck! 🙂
Good luck! 🙂
Last edited:
I applied to 5 last year, same number as I applied to for undergrad.
I applied to 6 schools 🙂 . 4 seems like a pretty solid number though.
I applied to 8. Five out of country and three in the US. Didn't apply to my instate school due to missing some pre-reqs (which sucks cuz I would LOVE to be an Aggie) but I'm hoping I'll get accepted somewhere and not have to spend that amount of money again!
a lot.... like 13. all US. i'm OOS everywhere. actually, at first i was only going to apply to 1 based on personal reasons. and then once i decided to apply to more than 1 school, i decided i may as well go all out. i'm a non-traditional applicant (graduated undergrad in 2009 with an art history degree). i've spent the last 2 1/2 years taking pre-reqs and getting vet experience. at this pt, i feel like i'm so ready to get the show on the road here and start my career in vet med. the anticipation of possibly having to wait another 2 years to start vet school absolutely kills me (both mentally and financially - although i do love my current job as a vet tech). i decided i'd much rather spend more $ now and apply to more schools this year than apply to a few and try again next year. also, most of the vets i work with applied to 12 or 13 schools so they sort of guided me in that direction. hopefully, i am not kicking myself in april when i have to reapply next year anyway 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to four. I picked based on what I felt would fit me best if/when I get in as well as proximity to my home (family, SO, etc.). And coincidentally the same number I applied to for undergrad like EC said! Hey, if we are going off that mind set, then I hope for all acceptances like undergrad!!! 😀
I was only one off, so hopefully you'll be the same. 🙂I applied to four. I picked based on what I felt would fit me best if/when I get in as well as proximity to my home (family, SO, etc.). And coincidentally the same number I applied to for undergrad like EC said! Hey, if we are going off that mind set, then I hope for all acceptances like undergrad!!! 😀
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 1K