How many schools did you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many schools did you apply to?

• 3-

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 4-6

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • 7-9

Votes: 13 7.9%

Votes: 12 7.3%

Votes: 8 4.8%

Votes: 9 5.5%

Votes: 6 3.6%

Votes: 5 3.0%

Votes: 11 6.7%

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • 17-20

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • 21-25

Votes: 20 12.1%
  • 26-35

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • 36-45

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • 46-55

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 56+

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

unicorn06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many schools did you apply to? Just curious...
Note, this poll is referring to primary AMCAS, but you can also include how many secondaries you sent in as part of the thread...

Members don't see this ad.

unicorn06 said:
How many schools did you apply to? Just curious...
Note, this poll is referring to primary AMCAS, but you can also include how many secondaries you sent in as part of the thread...

I applied to 2... that wasn't an option above

Wow, did someone actually apply to 56+ schools? I wonder how much time/money it takes to do that...

Members don't see this ad :)
3- is an option for 2. That means 3 or less...

unicorn06 said:
3- is an option for 2. That means 3 or less...

Should've been 0-3.

listing single numbers for 11-17 is dumb. Data overload. If you want a more readable histogram then still space out those middle numbers in groups of 3, i.e., 11-13 and 14-16, and yes you won't get as good of resolution but you'll get a better idea of the overall picture, while yes once you get to the outlying region you can make the bins bigger.

What kind of scientist are you? :smuggrin: . just kidding :laugh:

Should have been public. I want to see who the two poor souls are applying to 56+. They need a charity fund started in their name.

so they can afford all the necessary fluoxetine (prozac) if they get into none of them?

I did 19, and it was too much.

I wonder if any in the 40+ range only got one or two acceptances- meaning that the extra apps were justified, and not superfluous (because they got multiple extra acceptances) or hopeless (because they got none at all).

DarkFark said:
I did 19, and it was too much.

I wonder if any in the 40+ range only got one or two acceptances- meaning that the extra apps were justified, and not superfluous (because they got multiple extra acceptances) or hopeless (because they got none at all).

same here... 19 w/ 15 secondary and 7 interviews so far ... hopefully more soon :luck:

Just asking....but approximately how much would it cost for applying to 19 med schools?

nev said:
Just asking....but approximately how much would it cost for applying to 19 med schools?
19 Schools (What I did!)
AMCAS = $690 ($150 for the 1st, $30/each additional school)
2ºs: at an average of $80/2º = $1520 (But I'm not submitting all 19 of those.)
This doesn't include LORs, etc.
56 schools? Yeah, right.

Counting allopathic and osteopathic, it'll be 12 schools (6 allo, 6 osteo).

I listed single numbers for those categories because I thought the majority of applicants would be in those categories and wanted to get some resolution. I wasn't trying to make the "perfect histogram". As an intelligent med school applicant, you should be able to add up the middle categories to imagine what the histogram would look like if the categories were all the same size...

However, that said, it looks like I was wrong and that there aren't a whole lot more people in these middle categories...

SeventhSon said:
listing single numbers for 11-17 is dumb. Data overload. If you want a more readable histogram then still space out those middle numbers in groups of 3, i.e., 11-13 and 14-16, and yes you won't get as good of resolution but you'll get a better idea of the overall picture, while yes once you get to the outlying region you can make the bins bigger.

What kind of scientist are you? :smuggrin: . just kidding :laugh:

I submitted 20 primary applicaitons, but ended up withdrawing from about 10 school pre-secondary.

Applied to 9 on amcas...did 7 secondaries.

Not doing one of the secondaries and the other I withdrew from after the interview invite because I don't want to go there anymore.

Even then that's expensive enough already...