How many schools did you send a primary to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TerraMedicX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I've been looking at all the DO schools on the AACOM website trying to figure out where I'd like to go. In addition to three allopath schools I THINK I've narrowed the list to:

AZCOM
CCOM
KCUMB-COM
LECOM
MSUCOM
NSUCOM
NYCOM
OUCOM
PCOM
TUCOM-CA
TUCOM-NV
UMNDJSOM
UNTHSC
COMP

According to the AACOM website if I send primaries to all of these schools (14 so you don't have to count) it'll cost me $605 (13 AACOM schools + Texas out-of-state). Factor in another $220 for the allopath applications, and I'm looking at $825 JUST in primaries. Now, I'm sure I could find the money to do that, but it would make things a little tighter when it comes to having to travel for interviews and deposits (I know, I'm SO optimistic!!).

So I guess what I'm trying to actually ask is how did you guys pick which schools to send primaries to? I've heard a lot of great advice from a lot of people (my list expanded massively after I was told by a number of individuals that I shouldn't worry so much about the actual city the school is in 'cause you're hardly ever off campus), but I still feel like I should be narrowing this list a bit.

For more background, I have relatively poor grades (about a 2.9, but this will go up when I factor in my grades from paramedic school). I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but from the practice tests I'm taking I expect a 30+. I have six years of EMS experience, three as an EMT and three as a paramedic so far. I'm getting great LORs from two-three physicians I've worked with, plus a science professor (there of those will be integrated into a committee letter).

At this point I think I'll probably remain in EM (I TRUELY love everything about it!), but I recognize the possibility of that changing. Other specialties I find interesting are cardiology, trauma or cardiothorasic surgery and intensive care/CCU. I know that I am NOT interested in family practice or the more traditional primary care specialties!!

I know that this is somewhat of a cliche topic, but I've read most of the other threads on it and still have no clue! Any advice you guys have would be great, especially people who have had first-hand experiences with some of these schools or have had similar experience.

Thanks,
Nate.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that I will be the minority opinion on this one but, here it goes anyway... I only applied to 5 DO schools (no MD). I got 5 interview invites, went on 4 of them and got accepted to all 4. Dont be fooled tho. I didnt have stellar #s either. My GPA and MCAT were both on the average side. I had good ECs, lots of shadowing experience, and good LORs.

I said all that to say, if you have a well rounded app with decent #s (if your GPA truly does raise above the magical 3.0 mark and if you do get in the high 20s at least on the MCAT) you'll be fine. You just have to get in somewhere, not everywhere! That being said, really look at what the schools have to offer; look at how their program/curriculum/rotations etc are set up and choose the ones you'd really like to go to. You dont have to narrow it down if you dont want to. But personally I've always thought that the ppl who applied to a million schools just wasted a hell of a lot of $$.

If you're truly desire to apply to all of these b/c you'd really like to go to all of them, then by all means, apply away. But if you're just padding your options, I really dont think you'll need that many options with your background.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Yes_I_DO. I have heard of people applying to even more schools just to get in somewhere. But in the long run you might want to consider..."Do I actually even want to go there? Am I even willing to?" If the answer is clearly yes then go for it. I know that after I started getting secondaries i started to be more choosy because of lack of funds and said to myself...I shouldn't have applied to so and so in the first place, I wouldn't even go there if it was the only place I got into.

applied to 28 with AMCAS/AACOMAS and completed at 18...

DO Schools to which I sent primaries:

CCOM
WVSOM
PCOM
NYCOM
VCOM
LECOM-Erie
OUCOM
UMDNJ-SOM
MSU-COM

I only completed secondaries for CCOM, WVSOM, PCOM, and UMDNJ-SOM, although NYCOM and VCOM haven't sent me anything yet.

That's a lot of schools but if you would be happy at any one of them (imagine it is the only place you got accepted - would you be happy going?) then apply! Remember all the secondaries they come with you will have to submit/pay another fee for.

I only applied to 7 DO schools through AACOMAS (I didn't send my secondary to one of them b/c I didn't have a DO LOR and forgot to notice that school required it). So far I've interviewed at 3 and been accepted to 2 of them. That's enough for me, though there's one other one I'd probably go to if they invite me to interview... Meanwhile, I applied to many more MD programs than that. Writing essays got really tiring after a while!!

Consider the new DO school opening up in Colorado, if you want to stay near home. And research all about the schools on the website, maybe order the book, which seems to have this same info... http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

I would trim your list a bit.

I can't speak for all the DO schools, but I applied to 6 (and a number of MD)

for me, it broke down:

UMDNJ (top choice, small class, cheap tuition, great research, affiliated hospitals)
CCOM (great rotations, great matches)
DMU (happy students, great technology level, probably the best at OMM I saw)
KCUMB (great curriculum, but large class size and not a fan of dress codes)

MSU-COM- Withdrew pre-secondary (OOS tuition would be a killer)
UNECOM- Withdrew post-secondary after getting into UMDNJ

Look at each of the schools on your list... figure out if you could be happy there, see if there are some you like more than others and apply to enough that will keep you competitive.

Here's some info that should help you out.