How many schools should an applicant apply to?

Started by ihindash
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ihindash

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
whats logical? how many schools should I apply to? I don't want to show that I am desperate (which I am) but I don't want it to affect me negatively. can a college find out how many other colleges I've applied to?
 
Depending on your stats, as many as you can afford. I've some people applying to 20 schools so it really depends on you. You should without a doubt apply to only the schools that you would actually want to attend. Just my opinion, I am sure others will have different opinions.
 
ihindash said:
whats logical? how many schools should I apply to? I don't want to show that I am desperate (which I am) but I don't want it to affect me negatively. can a college find out how many other colleges I've applied to?

Well if you are just now applying then I would apply to a lot of schools, depending on your stats...

But in general I would apply to as many as you would be willing to go to and as many as you can afford.

I only applied to 4 because those were the only ones I was interested going to. I recieved 4 interviews and recieved my first acceptance to my top choice and declined the rest. So it really depends on your stats and your financial situation. If you need more help let me know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ihindash said:
whats logical? how many schools should I apply to? I don't want to show that I am desperate (which I am) but I don't want it to affect me negatively. can a college find out how many other colleges I've applied to?


To answer your first question, apply to many as you like, apply to the ones you would like to go to. if you have stellar grades and scores, than you can be more choosy about where and how many you want to apply, and well if you're grades and scores aren't so top notch (but still good obv.) then you can't be so picky.

Secondly, colleges usually do find out about where you apply, but only because you tell them on your secondary application. Of course, you can lie about it-but that's an ethical dilemma you must consider. Furthermore, there is no such thing as being "desperate" when applyin to med school. We're all desperate!!! After all you're trying to get into a field where many people attempt but very few follow through. Good luck in your future endeavours
 
Unknown3234 said:
Depending on your stats, as many as you can afford. I've some people applying to 20 schools so it really depends on you. You should without a doubt apply to only the schools that you would actually want to attend. Just my opinion, I am sure other will have different opinions.

Thank you Very much. I appreciate your advice.
 
docmd2010 said:
To answer your first question, apply to many as you like, apply to the ones you would like to go to. if you have stellar grades and scores, than you can be more choosy about where and how many you want to apply, and well if you're grades and scores aren't so top notch (but still good obv.) then you can't be so picky.

Secondly, colleges usually do find out about where you apply, but only because you tell them on your secondary application. Of course, you can lie about it-but that's an ethical dilemma you must consider. Furthermore, there is no such thing as being "desperate" when applyin to med school. We're all desperate!!! After all you're trying to get into a field where many people attempt but very few follow through. Good luck in your future endeavours

Thanks alot. your words are comforting.