How many schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATOR Girl

Jenny
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many schools I should apply to. I know that if you apply through PharmCas, other schools can see what schools you are applying to. Since UF is my first choice, does anyone think that applying to multiple schools will hinder my chances of getting in to UF? Will UF think they I don't really care what school I attend?

Any advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

GATOR Girl said:
I was just wondering how many schools I should apply to. I know that if you apply through PharmCas, other schools can see what schools you are applying to. Since UF is my first choice, does anyone think that applying to multiple schools will hinder my chances of getting in to UF? Will UF think they I don't really care what school I attend?

Any advice would be great!

I'm pretty sure that schools cannot see what other schools you are applying to. Let's say you apply to 5 school via PharmCAS and get accepted to one. The other remaining 4 school will be able to see that you were accepted to (blank). PharmCAS only posts acceptances, so the schools you apply to will not know how many other schools you applied to, the names of those schools, or if you were denied/waitlisted. If anyone knows otherwise correct me if I'm wrong.

Schools are aware of the competition to get into them and probably fully expect that the majority of applicants will have applied to multiple schools.

Now if you want to worry even more, you can take the argument the other way and say that if you apply to only one school, it shows that you aren't committed to pharmacy because it increases the probability that you won't get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
imperial frog said:
Schools are aware of the competition to get into them and probably fully expect that the majority of applicants will have applied to multiple schools.

Now if you want to worry even more, you can take the argument the other way and say that if you apply to only one school, it shows that you aren't committed to pharmacy because it increases the probability that you won't get in.

Thanks! That helps :thumbup:

calrx said:
I'm pretty sure that schools cannot see what other schools you are applying to. Let's say you apply to 5 school via PharmCAS and get accepted to one. The other remaining 4 school will be able to see that you were accepted to (blank). PharmCAS only posts acceptances, so the schools you apply to will not know how many other schools you applied to, the names of those schools, or if you were denied/waitlisted. If anyone knows otherwise correct me if I'm wrong.

Someone previously posted in another thread that PharmCAS does NOT post acceptances, but I dont know.

I've heard that schools DO and DO NOT know about other acceptances. I doubt that applying to several schools would hurt your chances of admissions. At my Mercer interview, I was asked if I'm applying to other schools and I said "Yes, nine. I'm just really determined to go to pharmacy school!" They just laughed and said "Well I guess so!" I was accepted so I don't think it mattered. If anything it just makes you appeared dedicated to your goal.
Apply to as many schools as you can afford!

megrxgirl said:
Someone previously posted in another thread that PharmCAS does NOT post acceptances, but I dont know.

This is directly from the PharmCAS website:

SHARING OF ADMISSION DECISIONS
Beginning on June 1, 2006, PharmCAS institutions will receive reports regarding the number of offers of admission made and number of offers of admission accepted for those applicants the college or school shares with another PharmCAS institution. Your designated PharmCAS institutions will know how many offers of admission you have received and how many offers of admission you have accepted at other PharmCAS institutions. PharmCAS institutions will not know how many applications you have submitted. They will also not know whether you were denied admission to another pharmacy school or be informed of any other admission actions made by other PharmCAS institutions, except offers of admission made or accepted.

So this begins 2006, I didnt see anything about the current policy though. Hmmm?

calrx said:
This is directly from the PharmCAS website:

SHARING OF ADMISSION DECISIONS
Beginning on June 1, 2006, PharmCAS institutions will receive reports regarding the number of offers of admission made and number of offers of admission accepted for those applicants the college or school shares with another PharmCAS institution. Your designated PharmCAS institutions will know how many offers of admission you have received and how many offers of admission you have accepted at other PharmCAS institutions. PharmCAS institutions will not know how many applications you have submitted. They will also not know whether you were denied admission to another pharmacy school or be informed of any other admission actions made by other PharmCAS institutions, except offers of admission made or accepted.

So this begins 2006, I didnt see anything about the current policy though. Hmmm?

If they can see an offer of admission and acceptance do you think that somehow hurts your chances? I hope not!

if anything i would think one school seeing you have been accepted by another would help you. that would show school #1 that you have what it takes to get into school #2. just like selling a car, you want two people interested in your car, then they get into a bidding war. maybe two schools could get into a bidding war with me... how nice would that be?

ndearwater said:
If they can see an offer of admission and acceptance do you think that somehow hurts your chances? I hope not!

Well that policy doesn't begin until summer 2006. I am really curious as to what happens now. Maybe it would be worth it to give PharmCAS a call tomorrow and ask. I'll let you know what they say! :confused:

Shovingit said:
if anything i would think one school seeing you have been accepted by another would help you. that would show school #1 that you have what it takes to get into school #2. just like selling a car, you want two people interested in your car, then they get into a bidding war. maybe two schools could get into a bidding war with me... how nice would that be?

That would be very nice! It would be a reverse bid- with cost of tuition decreasing with each bid! I WISH! Hey when are you supposed to hear from Mercer?

They said we should find out before Thanksgiving. Hopefully I will have news to be THANKFUL for. Mercer is my top choice by FAR.

Shovingit said:
They said we should find out before Thanksgiving. Hopefully I will have news to be THANKFUL for. Mercer is my top choice by FAR.

GOOD LUCK! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Shovingit said:

ooo well good luck!! :luck: What other schools are you looking at and why is Mercer your top choice by far? I'm just curious cause I haven't been to any of the Southern schools yet (except for Samford).

Other schools are UF, UGA, Campbell, UTMem. I have been at LSU for the last 4 yrs, and while I have enjoyed the whole "big university", drinking town with a football problem atmosphere, I am definately ready for a smaller campus feel. When I visited Mercer I loved that even though it was in a huge city, the campus felt so small and secluded. Also I grew up near Atlanta, and am ready to be a bit closer to home. When I went to the interview it only reassured me that this is where I want to be. The whole block schedule thing appeals to the way I learn better as well. Thanks for the good luck wishes btw.