How many schools should I apply to?

Started by waus10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

waus10

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just wondering how many schools everyone else is applying to. I have a huge list and am going to narrow it down but I wanted a good idea of how many to cut it down to. Thanks!
 
waus10 said:
I'm just wondering how many schools everyone else is applying to. I have a huge list and am going to narrow it down but I wanted a good idea of how many to cut it down to. Thanks!

The average number is about 12 schools. If you have a competitive application you can apply to less. Also, if you have a less competitive application you should apply to more.
 
I started out with a huge list...but finally narrowed it down depending on factors like what percentage OOS students they take, if they take AP/community college credits for a few courses, costs, prereqs, etc...
 
waus10 said:
I'm just wondering how many schools everyone else is applying to. I have a huge list and am going to narrow it down but I wanted a good idea of how many to cut it down to. Thanks!

10-15 is pretty normal. I think the average is 12, unless your from california. Every applicant ive met from cali applied to like 20-40. So sad, so sad, but i guess it builds character.