How many schools should one normally apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlebracesboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a resident of California and planning to take the PCATs. I was wondering on average how many schools people apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your stats as well as the schools you are applying to. If you have competitive stats for the schools you are interested in, you probably don't have to apply to as many. But if you have a low GPA or something then you probably need to cast a wider net.

I see numbers anywhere from 1 to 20+. I wanna say average is around 6-8? Although that's just my opinion from my observations, but I think around there is a safe number.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 3 schools, but my stats were equal or greater to all their average admit stats, and I wanted to go in-state, and there were really only 3 to apply to.

I started with 8, then it went to 10, now it's at 13 haha... If you look really hard there are alot of good programs in cool places. Good luck with your searching PM me if you want some perspective on any I'm applying to

So I'm a resident of California and planning to take the PCATs. I was wondering on average how many schools people apply to?

Before 2004? Apply to as many schools as you possible can....
After 2006--now: 0. Apply to zero school because it's pointless to get in and have no jobs once u're done.

I applied to five. So far interviewed by 2 and accepted by both. I declined an interview at a 3rd school. Debating whether or not to go to an interview at school 4 in mid-January.

Study the out of state schools carefully. In some states it is nearly impossible to establish residency, even if you move their and buy a house and pay property and income tax. You can be considered a legal resident of the state but the school will still consider you a nonresident for the purposes of determining which fees you pay. Had I known this, I would have knocked 2 of the schools off of my list.

Also, schools want hefty deposits right away after they conditionally accept you.

I'm also a cali resident but I didn't take the PCAT.

I applied to 3 (USC, UCSF, UCSD)! I got lucky and got accepted to USC so far since SF and SD are not rolling admissions.