How many schools to apply to for MD/PhD (MSTP)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star_7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PhD Area of interest: Biomedical Engineering

I am getting wide range of numbers for how many schools to apply to for MD/PhD. How many schools do people on average apply to for MD/PhD (MSTP) programs?

I realize it depends on the student’s stat and the overall strength of the application. My college pre-med advising suggested 30 schools (she knows my GPA & MCAT score) and a friend who is currently a MD/PhD says he applied to 11. College advising says since MD/PhD has very limited spots, one would apply to more schools than MD only applicant. I feel like 30 is way too much and it will dilute my application trying to finish 30.

I am thinking 15 - 20 schools - is it enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're pretty competitive (stats wise). You can get away with probably applying to 15-20. I applied to ~ 13-15 (can't remember) and interviewed at 11 places (which was exhausting) with a 3.8+/39.

Reactions: 2 users
15 sounds about right. As usual, apply broadly and only apply to schools that you would actually consider attending. Provided your research essay is good and you get strong letters of recommendation, you should expect to get interviews at at least half the places.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am considering this for the list of schools to choose from... Appreciate any suggestions for adding /removing schools based on my BME interest. I am still looking into see which of these schools have integrated MD/PhD and PIs for PhD in my area of interest.

Harvard
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
Stanford
UCSF
WashU – St.Louis
Yale
Columbia
Duke
Michigan
Washington
Vanderbilt
Pitt/CMU
UCSD
Northwestern
Emory
Case Western
Virginia
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Alabama - Birmingham
Penn State
University of Illinois at Chicago (Not sure if they have PhD in BME)

I am considering this for the list of schools to choose from... Appreciate any suggestions for adding /removing schools based on my BME interest. I am still looking into see which of these schools have integrated MD/PhD and PIs for PhD in my area of interest.

Harvard
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
Stanford
UCSF
WashU – St.Louis
Yale
Columbia
Duke
Michigan
Washington
Vanderbilt
Pitt/CMU
UCSD
Northwestern
Emory
Case Western
Virginia
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Alabama - Birmingham
Penn State
University of Illinois at Chicago (Not sure if they have PhD in BME)

UCLA/Caltech?

Reactions: 1 users