SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How many schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by onamission, May 15, 2007.

1. onamission

onamission 2+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Anyone know what number of schools is considered "average" to apply to?
    5, 15, 52? I tried doing a search and the results page showed up blank everytime.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. koochooloo

koochooloo SugarNaCl's bestest bud! 2+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Northern VA/Richmond
    10's a good number

4. ClassicalGuitar

ClassicalGuitar Jesus-Light of the World 2+ Year Member

Oct 24, 2006
    I don't think there is an actual published average. I think you should apply to whichever schools you want to go to AND whichever schools you could get into, regardless of how many they are and how much it costs. It's worth it. I applied to 14 schools. If I didn't do that many, I would've missed some opportunities (interviews, acceptances). Hope for the best.

5. Fuji

Fuji 2+ Year Member

Sep 1, 2006
    The first school to send me an acceptance was the 18th (and the last) school that I decided to apply to. So, my advice? Apply to as many as you can afford, and to any school that you would even remotely consider. Websites and books are not a good way to learn about the schools, but interviews certainly are!

6. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana. 10+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2006
    My dentist told me to apply to as many schools as I can. You never know if that one school you decide to add at the last minute is the only school you get into, or it may be the one you like the best.
    It is only money, and if you spend $100 more to add one more school and you get in, in the end it will have been worth it.

7. pre-dentalguy

pre-dentalguy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2006
    GA
    So it's 100.00 per school to send your application through?? Dam... I thought it went up to 150 this year??

Marion

8. Chrono1984

Chrono1984 Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chicago
    The cost is scaled. The more schools you apply to, the cheaper it becomes per school. I applied to seven and it cost 550 on AADSAS. I don't know if they increased the cost this year.

However, if you add in all the supplemental fees that schools will ask for, then you are clocking in at well over 100 per school.

9. doc toothache

doc toothache 10+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2006

For 2006 there were 94172 applications from 10,731 applicants for a ratio of ~9.