How many sub-i/audition rotations are recommended?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureIMdoc123

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DO student shooting for an academic program in this step 1 P/F world. Read a recent PD survey saying that DO students will be negatively affected by the change, and now auditions will be of greater importance. Unfortunately, it's tough to find solid advice from my school's admin about how many auditions I should do.
 
Tough question for which I don't think there's an obvious answer: IM hasn't historically relied on audition rotations and I'm not sure what their significance will be going forward. My guesstimate would be 3 targeted ones, i.e. at programs that have regularly taken DOs for at least the past few years (and that you would like to match at). But I think your Step 2 score will be more important.
 
Here has been my experience for comparison as an OMS4:

Steps: 22x/24x
Comlex: 54x/49x
Sub-Is done: 1 (got an interview there)
Core IM Grades: 2 As 1 B
Programs applied to: ~80
Interview Invites: 32

I declined some interviews once I had a good number offered. Of the 18 I kept, I would say 5 or so are sufficiently "academic".