How many with acceptances do something stupid to lose them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iduwanna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been fortunate to be offered spots at some good schools, but I'm awefully burned out with UG and just praying that I can maintain a sufficiently clean academic and criminal record for a few more months.

If I can hold out long enough to matriculate, I know the change of pace will do me good.

Anyone else counting the days that they aren't arrested or flunking out of classes?

Members don't see this ad.

go have a beer.

I am slightly concerned that you have to work hard to keep a clean criminal record....look, I know your roommate ate the last piece of pizza, but there's no need to violently retaliate.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're burned out from undergrad, but you're looking to med school for a change of pace? I think you might be in the wrong field...

I laff at burning out.

welcome to reality :)

find a better stress output.

Hey he's entitled to feel a little burnt out. Hopefully you structured your classes well for your senior year so you can reasonably coast. Then do something relaxing for the summer so you can be charged up for orientation.

I'm burning out hard right now too my friend, but like nontradfogie mentioned, just ride that wave and coast it out.

Man, day one of med school I'm totally breaking and entering and getting a DUI as I flee the police.

Can't even wait.

I'm a little burnt out as well, and I feel like it's mostly because of the beaming light at the end of the undergrad tunnel. I know that med school isn't easy, but I do feel like I'll have an easier time because I'll be studying subjects that I find more interesting and that I have more of a natural propensity for.

go have a beer.

Done and done ...

and done and done and ....

I am slightly concerned that you have to work hard to keep a clean criminal record....look, I know your roommate ate the last piece of pizza, but there's no need to violently retaliate.

I was joking a little bit about that, but the cops in my city are VERY aggressive and unpredictable. I recently got ticketed for riding a bicycle on the sidewalk.

You're burned out from undergrad, but you're looking to med school for a change of pace? I think you might be in the wrong field...

... preaches the premed.

I'm ready to move on, that's all. Classes start to get really repetitive by the final semester.

I laff at burning out.

welcome to reality :)

I laugh at it to. I just don't want to laugh myself out of the acceptances I have.

find a better stress output.

I jog, bike, play sports, date, and generally enjoy myself. I just don't have the motivation to study as hard-core as I used to for these classes.

Hey he's entitled to feel a little burnt out. Hopefully you structured your classes well for your senior year so you can reasonably coast. Then do something relaxing for the summer so you can be charged up for orientation.

Thanks fogie.

I'm burning out hard right now too my friend, but like nontradfogie mentioned, just ride that wave and coast it out.

Thanks for the support.

I'm a little burnt out as well, and I feel like it's mostly because of the beaming light at the end of the undergrad tunnel. I know that med school isn't easy, but I do feel like I'll have an easier time because I'll be studying subjects that I find more interesting and that I have more of a natural propensity for.

My sentiments exactly. Let's just ride this one to the beach.

Man, day one of med school I'm totally breaking and entering and getting a DUI as I flee the police.

Can't even wait.

Heh, excellent. Who needs a medical license anway? You should just practice without one ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been trying to cruise, but getting into the mentality after years of balls to the wall is taking some time.

Question: I'm enrolled in a double degree program at my school. Biology and International studies. the IS degree requires a thesis and research which will be a pain but is do-able...do you think if I dropped it med schools might rescind my acceptance?

I was joking a little bit about that, but the cops in my city are VERY aggressive and unpredictable. I recently got ticketed for riding a bicycle on the sidewalk.

Haha, wow. Maybe you was doin' fifty five on a fifty fo'.

dude, tell me about it! I got a ticket for curfew violation when I was 16. Yea, you heard me, curfew violation. Young + Chicago = Curfew. I saw the flashing lights and heard the siren and thought nothing of, but then : "Hey kid!......" (doughnut in hand, calling for back up in case I get rowdy)

Hey, I'm burned out too. Undergrad sucks when you're not doing what you like. I'm looking forward to medical school. I don't care what anyone says.

I almost got a ticket for walking across a crosswalk on a tiny school campus road when the light wasn't red.

I, too, am scared your having so much trouble with keeping a clean record! :laugh:

Hey, I'm burned out too. Undergrad sucks when you're not doing what you like. I'm looking forward to medical school. I don't care what anyone says.

Here, here! :thumbup:

You better take off next summer if you are burned out.
I am kind of worried about folks who are already burned out during undergrad.
Med school is going to kick your a--. And they WILL make you study stuff that you have no interest in...trust me I have been there.

Just don't get any DUI's partying this year...

r.e. someone wanting to drop an international studies 2nd major...I really doubt that a med school would rescind an acceptance for anything but egregiously bad grades, and/or legal troubles.

Im going to take the summer prior to matriculation to beackpack through Europe of safari in the Sahara, no joke, this is really my plan.

I agree with the OP (except for the criminal record part ;)) undergrad dropped to the bottom of my list of priorities as of Oct. 15th when I got accepted. And now that I'm finally coming out of the "I'm going to be a doctor?!" stupor, I realized my grades are not so stellar!

So... what would you call "egregiously bad"? ...is it the difference between other semesters and this one that an adcom would be worried about? Or just an awful grade in general (and again... what are we calling awful? Because being pre-med has given me a skewed sense of what awful is, and I'm sure a lot of you can sympathize)

I have absolutely no idea on this, but if I were to be accepted I would have no problem getting a couple of "C"s, a "B", and at least an "A" or two for good measure. :D

Heh, excellent. Who needs a medical license anway? You should just practice without one ;).

You should join doctors without borders without licenses! Might not be a real thing now, but it will be!

I slacked off so much my last semester of undergrad that, if I were to apply again this year, my GPA would keep me from getting any acceptances. My med school didn't even end up asking for my transcript, they really don't seem to care.

But please, I'm begging you guys, enjoy the summer. I know you're looking forward to med school, and I know you're sick of the warnings of just how difficult it really is, but try and unwind. Med school will start soon enough, and the next real break you're gonna get is Christmas of 09.

My med school didn't even end up asking for my transcript, they really don't seem to care.

That's rare -- folks shouldn't assume a med school will let you matriculate without getting a final transcript. In fact, most acceptances are conditional on receiving satisfactory grades (usually at least C's) in all remaining coursework. I have known someone who had to repeat a class over the summer before matriculation for slacking off a bit too much.

There is always somebody who does something stupid and jeopardizes their acceptance. Probably one a year. Not a good start to entry into a profession. Act like you have more to lose now, because you do.

Every since I got accepted last Friday, I have found it almost impossible to focus on my chordate exam I have tomorrow morning. I try and study but (as you can see by me posting here) I get side-tracked.

But I'm hoping a couple of C's here and there won't hurt from this point on? Because I'm definitely not studying with the do-or-die attitude I'm used to!