DO How many W's is too much for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted954976

I'm currently finishing my last year of my undergraduate degree and have been working on applying to DO schools. I have a major red flag in my academic record in that I have 16 W's. I fell on some really difficult times in regards to health which also lead to financial problems. I was a complete idiot and tried to push through school during that time which resulted in the W's. I'm incredibly angry with myself and know that my goal to become a physician is pretty much gone, but I just want some advice on if I should even continue to try and become a DO.

My GPA also suffered greatly during that time. My science GPA is 3.0 and cumulative GPA is 3.15. I know if I have any shot at getting into a DO school, it will be with a master's degree. I'm thinking of doing a master's in biomedical sciences. The program I've been looking at accepts either the GRE or the MCAT so I decided to go with the MCAT. I did take the MCAT in August and received my score of a 515.

Other things of importance on my resume include:
450 volunteer hours
3500 hours of health care experience
60 hours of pharmaceutical research
40 hours of shadowing experience
Held a position in student government at my University

Again, any advice would be great. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator: