Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How many W's?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by guppie, Apr 30, 2007.

1. guppie

Pre-Medical
    I have been experiencing problems within my family which have undoubtedly affected my schoolwork, particularly one subject where I totally bombed the first test.

Theoretically, I can still pass the class because of the distribution of points from one other test, a final, and a discussion grade. However, I have not learned the concepts and therefore feel that I should re-take this course to take the time to actually learn it.

This will be my second W (the first was an accidental one when I dropped an internship without realizing it was into the third week of school).

I was wondering, if any, how many W's did you all have/had in your undergraduate career and how have they affected you? Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central

Pre-Medical
    I've had 5 Ws (all in my senior year and summer after). I had depression and then a VERY stressful summer that convinced me that withdrawing and retaking was a better option. I was able to withdraw 2x in my senior year because of AP credits.

4. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member

Pre-Medical

I've only dropped one class in 7 semesters, well within the allowed period.

I've been fortunate not to have any major health/family problems.

5. Sondra

Sondra UMC 2010

Medical Student
    I had 10 Ws on my transcript. I don't think that they are a big deal as long as it doesn't seem like you are dropping your hardest classes ever other semester in order to make a better grade. A few Ws will not hurt your chances, and you can explain them in your interview.

6. CubanDoc

CubanDoc Moving to G'ville soon

Pre-Medical
    I have one,

Nobody asked about it in any of my 6 interviews.

Good luck with your class.