Pharmacy How many years of experience is a PGY-1 considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I know anecdotally a pharmacy residency is considered to be 3 - 5 years of experience, however is this stated anywhere in writing? I am accepting a new staffing position at a hospital, where HR is not taking in consideration my PGY-1 training. I would like to provide them supporting evidence that it is worth something.

Has anyone had experience with this? Also anyone who has PGY-1 training what did your institution do? If there are any hiring managers here, do you consider residencies as x amount of years of experience?

Thank you!

Given there is no identifying information in your post, I think you might have more luck getting some answers in the general forums where everyone can see your post. Our expertise lies more in helping people manage their personal situations in a confidential context.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to answer assuming you think this plus your other posts are enough to identify you.

From an HR perspective, PGY1's are either 0 or 1 years of experience. It depends on if your HR department identifies them as training or relevant experience.

If you are speaking about job requirements (not say, experience based salary), then I would say that most institutions put an OR statement in their minimum requirements (PGY1 or 3 years of experience).

Doesn't it translate that say a person with a PGY1 getting the job would have the same salary as a person with 3 years experience? I hear some institutions do that
No, most institutions that I know of do not consider residency more than 1 year of experience (if they even consider it one) for the purposes of calculating seniority/salary based on years of experience. That equivalency really only goes one way. 3-5 years of relevant experience might replace the need for a residency, but a residency does not replace 3-5 years of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.