How meaningless is it if a school emails you encouraging you to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Beefy Lion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming it means nothing. Does anyone have an anecdotal evidence about how meaningless it is when a school emails asking you to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

You are correct, it is meaningless. Most schools that send these emails out send them to thousands of people. They will only accept several hundred. These emails do not indicate that they have any real interest in you.

Reactions: 1 user
You are correct, it is meaningless. Most schools that send these emails out send them to thousands of people. They will only accept several hundred. These emails do not indicate that they have any real interest in you.
Reality sucks

Members don't see this ad :)
Reality sucks
Yes, it really does. And I didn't mean to be abrasive, I just want everybody to understand the reality of this situation so that they don't waste time and money applying to schools that they are only applying to because they think they will be given priority.

Yes, it really does. And I didn't mean to be abrasive, I just want everybody to understand the reality of this situation so that they don't waste time and money applying to schools that they are only applying to because they think they will be given priority.
Didnt take it that way at all, no worries. I figured it was meaningless, I was wondering if this was the prevailing opinion on SDN.

Completely meaningless. Last year when I applied, I received recruitment emails from large number of schools I had no business applying to like case western and WASHU. I applied to them after the recruitment emails, and received zero interviews.

These emails and fliers are just a way of getting money and attention. They don't say anything about your chances, so don't be fooled. Save your money.
It's just like undergrad where the most selective schools in the country send out tens of thousands of brochures, many to students with standardized test scores that put them below the 25th percentile for these schools.

After I submitted my primary but before I was verified I just got a lot of these e-mails:

Dear student #8757290772784
Thank you for your interest in our school! We noticed you haven't yet given us $150 for your secondary. If you're still interested, give us $150.
Love,
Med School

Reactions: 5 users
Got a nice glossy from University of Rochester after i took the mcat. They were the first to reject me

I'm 99% sure I read somewhere on SDN of someone who received such an email from a school that had already rejected them that cycle.

More meaningful than human existence, less meaningful than blood parasites.
Hits blunt

But to play devils advocate, a lot of schools (Vandy in particular iirc) target this spam at people with high MCATs. So receiving it doesn't mean anything significant, but it can be a symptom of having a strong app !

I'm assuming it means nothing. Does anyone have an anecdotal evidence about how meaningless it is when a school emails asking you to apply?

The only thing it means is that they want your your precious secondary fee. After they get your money they will gladly reject you.

Remember in high school when everyone and their brother got a pamphlet from Harvard inviting them to apply?

This is pretty similar in nature.

I don't think that the schools care about the money. I think what they want is to increase the number of people who apply so that they can reject them, and thus show increased selectivity, which in turn will increase their rank on the UN News and World Report. This is the case for both med schools and undergrad schools.

Harvard sent me one asking me to apply when I already had. The next correspondence I got from them was in March...