How to get research productivity if your school isn't super active in research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyched*Out

Reaction score
My university isn't research focused and the labs don't really publish often at all, so I was wondering if people on this forum could suggest other ways to get research productivity other than working at the labs at your home college.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there research institutes nearby?

Apply to the NIH's SURF (if it still exists).

Talk to your uni's Office of Grants Mgt (if they have one) and see if they know of research funding opportunities for students.

Reactions: 1 user
Productivity really need not be your goal as an undergrad, unless you have your heart set on being an MD/PhD. Anything where you get to be involved in hypothesis-driven research is good. And you'll need to have that kind of initial experience at your home institution to make you competitive for NIH and med school SURF programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At this point in your career, we want to know that you understand the process and purpose of hypothesis-driven research. The large majority of successful MD applicants have no publications (even at very fancy schools!).

Graduate and do an NIH Postbac IRTA. Or do research at NIH or similar institutes offering summer opportunities. As an undergraduate, publishing should not be a big concern... get the techniques done correctly and get a sense of research culture (not necessarily the microbiology kind of culture).

At this point in your career, we want to know that you understand the process and purpose of hypothesis-driven research. The large majority of successful MD applicants have no publications (even at very fancy schools!).

Graduate and do an NIH Postbac IRTA. Or do research at NIH or similar institutes offering summer opportunities. As an undergraduate, publishing should not be a big concern... get the techniques done correctly and get a sense of research culture (not necessarily the microbiology kind of culture).
In other words, OP, med schools want to know that you understand the scientific method, even if means you're studying mayflies in some wetland in southern Illinois.

Reactions: 2 users
So the majority of the responses have essentially told me that schools are looking to see a understanding of the scientific method, and I understand that. What I failed to mention is that I have already published independent research in HS and also did AP research and got a 5 on that exam for a separate independent research project, so I feel like I have a decent background already with testing a hypothesis and understanding the scientific method.

I wanted to take that next step and begin to see some productivity in the research I do, and I specifically wanted to hear about programs that could enable this or other methods such as cold emailing medical schools for remote research since none are near me.

So the majority of the responses have essentially told me that schools are looking to see a understanding of the scientific method, and I understand that. What I failed to mention is that I have already published independent research in HS and also did AP research and got a 5 on that exam for a separate independent research project, so I feel like I have a decent background already with testing a hypothesis and understanding the scientific method.

I wanted to take that next step and begin to see some productivity in the research I do, and I specifically wanted to hear about programs that could enable this or other methods such as cold emailing medical schools for remote research since none are near me.
Did you not apply to undergrad summer research programs? If it was important, we would see you continue doing research. We talk about these opportunities a lot.

Did you not apply to undergrad summer research programs? If it was important, we would see you continue doing research. We talk about these opportunities a lot.
I'm entering undergrad this fall. Didn't apply to anything this summer since I'm spending it abroad to visit family.

Have you ever performed research under the supervision of other research faculty? If not, that would be a good way to demonstrate that you understand and can practice the scientific process. Productivity is impossible to predict, especially when it comes to publications, which can take anywhere from 1-5 years to generate. A lot of the programs recommended here are great, but keep in mind that it is unlikely to get a publication regardless. Also, over 40% of Stanford's class did not have a publication, so you definitely do not need them to succeed, even at the top schools.

I'm entering undergrad this fall. Didn't apply to anything this summer since I'm spending it abroad to visit family.
Then you have plenty of time. Start getting to know your faculty well because they will write the letters of recommendation for you to do research off campus.

It is typical for students to do research the summer after sophomore year and then apply the summer after junior year, often while continuing with research pursuits. Take your time. Explore what college has to offer and get to know your professors. Even if a school doesn't have a huge research portfolio, there may be little pockets of productivity that you wouldn't know about unless you were there.