How Medical Schools View Community College Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amir44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know how many credits i should take at a community college and then transfer to a 4 year college or does it(taking science courses at community college) have any effect on going to Medical schools ?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the general consensus is that some med schools accept them with no problem, some accept them with reservation, and some don't accept them at all. Also, if you have done some upper-level science courses at a 4-year it seems to help your case, if you took some or all of your prereqs at a CC. This is purely anecdotal, and second hand at that. I have no data, numbers, or otherwise to back up anything I just said.

As for me, I have completed G.Chem 1&2, Bio 1 (taking bio 2 this summer), and currently taking Physics 1 (algebra based). ALL of these have been from community college. This fall, I am transferring to a 4-year where I will be taking Orgo 1, physics 2. In Spring 2014, I will be taking Orgo 2 while studying for the MCAT, which I plan to take sometime that semester.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend taking any of the med school per-requisites and if you do, repeat them at your 4-year institution to show mastery at a higher level.

Regardless of how schools view them, doing well in community college classes will boost your AMCAS GPA - it definitely helped mine. That can only be seen as beneficial. I took a couple English classes at a comm. college (but also took a couple at my 4-yr school) and no one has brought up the issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
General education courses are usually fine, but most schools prefer science coursework be taken at a university level.

I wouldn't recommend taking any of the med school per-requisites and if you do, repeat them at your 4-year institution to show mastery at a higher level.

Regardless of how schools view them, doing well in community college classes will boost your AMCAS GPA - it definitely helped mine. That can only be seen as beneficial. I took a couple English classes at a comm. college (but also took a couple at my 4-yr school) and no one has brought up the issue.

Who the hell has time for that?

Don't listen to this. I took biology and chemistry and a CC, and o-chem, physics, biochem, and a bunch of other upper division science classes at a 4-year. I've been doing just fine. As long as you do well and prove that you can do well at a 4-year, it won't hurt you at all (unless you're gunning for a top 10 acceptance).

Don't listen to this. I took biology and chemistry and a CC, and o-chem, physics, biochem, and a bunch of other upper division science classes at a 4-year. I've been doing just fine. As long as you do well and prove that you can do well at a 4-year, it won't hurt you at all (unless you're gunning for a top 10 acceptance).

Precisely. It may help my case that I'm a non-trad, but I don't plan on getting into Stanford, either.

Google average age of med school matriculation. Answer... a lot of people have time for it.

It's not necessarily a race.

Well, of course not. I'm on the GI-Bill and it only pays for 4 academic years. Because of timing, I had to start at a CC. I'm sure I'll be fine. Taking classes (even prereqs) at a CC is a perfectly legitimate way to gain acceptance to an MD school.

OP, I think it's highly unlikely that if you gain no acceptances to med school, this will be the only reason.

Well, of course not. I'm on the GI-Bill and it only pays for 4 academic years. Because of timing, I had to start at a CC. I'm sure I'll be fine. Taking classes (even prereqs) at a CC is a perfectly legitimate way to gain acceptance to an MD school.
I gotcha, I totally understand. I took many a CC class as well and am a non-trad. It is, of course, a legitimate way of getting into medical school (worked for me).

That being said, I still think the most ideal, perfect-world application would have all pre-reqs at a 4-yr school so that is why I gave that advice. I highly respect the military route, however. Best of luck!!

How can you give such stupid advice? Have you ever sat on an admissions committee?

I gotcha, I totally understand. I took many a CC class as well and am a non-trad. It is, of course, a legitimate way of getting into medical school (worked for me).

That being said, I still think the most ideal, perfect-world application would have all pre-reqs at a 4-yr school so that is why I gave that advice. I highly respect the military route, however. Best of luck!!

Thank you, and to you, too. Congrats on your acceptance(s)!!!

Yes, the most perfect applicant would have gone to a top 20 UG, have 6 non profits started, offspring of Nobelaureats, etc. That's why we perform experiments in a lab, though: the "real world" is messy and imperfect.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you give such stupid advice? Have you ever sat on an admissions committee?
Relax. Chances are a top-10 Dean of Admission isn't going to respond directly to his question.

I'm simply relaying personal advice I've received from members of the Health Professions Advisory Committee at my school and also a PI of my research lab since I had taken a lot of CC classes. Just trying to help someone out and share advice I've been given in the past.

Relax. Chances are a top-10 Dean of Admission isn't going to respond directly to his question.

I'm simply relaying personal advice I've received from members of the Health Professions Advisory Committee at my school and also a PI of my research lab since I had taken a lot of CC classes. Just trying to help someone out and share advice I've been given in the past.

Retaking courses would be the right way to go to make sure you don't run into any issues, but it's a bit overkill for everyone that won't be completely crushed to not have the opportunity to get rejected from a few of the schools that are pickier about this stuff. Most people just want to get into any med school. They probably won't lose much sweat over the small minority of schools that outright don't accept CC credit.

(sent from my phone)

An A is an A no matter what; there's no reason to repeat an A no matter where it's from. If you do well at the CC and continue to do well at a 4-year (in science classes, especially), you should be in the clear (except for the 4-5 schools that don't accept CC credits-- just don't apply to those schools).

I contacted with BCOM not too long ago, I asked If they accept CC credits this is what the admissions guy said:

"As long as the prerequisites are completed at a fully accredited college or university in the United States, then they are acceptable."

I also asked Florida med schools too, said the same thing.

Edit**

If I were you just contact (Email) the schools you're interested in and ask them.

I contacted with BCOM not too long ago, I asked If they accept CC credits this is what the admissions guy said:

"As long as the prerequisites are completed at a fully accredited college or university in the United States, then they are acceptable."

I also asked Florida med schools too, said the same thing.

:thumbup:

I did the same thing with every TX school. Practically the same response. I think when people see certain info from sites like VCU's med school saying they don't take CC credits, a lot of info gets skewed. Truth is, about 4 schools say outright that they don't take credits, and a lot of others "prefer" 4-year, but will take CC's.

Retaking at college is unnecessary. Best thing for OP to do is to avoid schools that don't accept CC credits (i.e. get an MSAR)

Retaking at college is unnecessary. Best thing for OP to do is to avoid schools that don't accept CC credits (i.e. get an MSAR)

This. The prevailing idea that ALL colleges dont accept CC credits is wrong.

No, I'm actually being a little too nice. He's recommending that the OP flush thousands of dollars down the toilet to retake classes for no reason.
He's asking how many "should" I take.

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/admissions/applicationprocess/requirements/

http://www.mssm.edu/education/medical-education/programs/md-program/admissions/faq

http://tulane.edu/advising/prehealth/faqs/index.cfm

I found these in <1 min searching. Of course, some school don't mind but others clearly do. It is a FACT that these classes will be looked down upon unfavorably by some programs. Granted, I won't personally be attending any schools like this, but OP might want to and, if possible, it is nice to keep options open.

There's no need for condescending attitude - everyone here is shooting for the same goal. Again, I personally took a lot of CC classes and understand the money/time argument.

The only med schools that don't accept CC credit is if you're already at a 4 year and go BACK to take your BCDPM at a CC.

No med school is going to "discriminate" against you going to a CC for the first years of college and taking science classes, that breaks so many rules/codes it's not even funny.

Trust me I've had enough friends who went to CC --> 4 year --> med school for it to not be a problem. Hell a handful of them went to top 15 med schools.

These discussions are so annoying.

lay down the weed my friend.

An A is an A no matter what; there's no reason to repeat an A no matter where it's from. If you do well at the CC and continue to do well at a 4-year (in science classes, especially), you should be in the clear (except for the 4-5 schools that don't accept CC credits-- just don't apply to those schools).

While this is true theoretically, it isn't really so in the real world. Many schools frown upon CC credit and some outright won't accept it as you mentioned. My school is one of the former and applicants are told on the admissions website that CC credit is effectively viewed not as positively as coursework done at a university. I agree that it's stupid and based purely on stigma, but that's how it is. My guess is that there are also at least a few schools that don't say anything about this directly but in actuality view CC credit as less than desirable. It's one of those dirty little things in med admissions.

(sent from my phone)

I think better advice would be to take higher-level science courses at a 4-year school instead of actually repeating the pre-reqs you already did well in; that seems like a waste of time to me.

Don't want to hijack thread, but in my situation I am going from CC --> 4 year (UCSC) --> going back to CC to finish lower division pre-reqs and then upper division courses like biochem at a local 4-year. The reason for this is because of my major; I am majoring in Electrical Engineering. I tried to fit in some of the pre-med coursework, but with the course load of EE it is almost impossible to do so (without sacrificing GPA). I took some pre-reqs before attending my CC (intro to bio, intro to chem, physics series). However, financially I am in a bad spot. I'm planning to work in the engineering industry for a couple years to help diminish/payoff the debt I have acquired. Then afterwards will I go to CC (for completing lower division pre-reqs) and local 4-year (for upper div pre-reqs).

I am hoping admission committees can see where I am coming from. I am confident in articulating my reasons for pursuing this route during an interview (if asked or attending one). I will be applying to D.O. Medical Schools in order to take advantage of the grade replacement system. It will be a long shot/reach to apply for M.D. Schools, so that's out of the question. Do you guys think this will look bad from an admissions standpoint? Sorry for the wall of text and sorry to interfere with the discussion, I just thought this would be relevant to ask since I haven't seen my situation replicated.

Last edited:
I think better advice would be to take higher-level science courses at a 4-year school instead of actually repeating the pre-reqs you already did well in; that seems like a waste of time to me.

Bingo.

You are a fool to retake any class you already did well in. Take biochem and some other bio or chem class at the 4-year then apply broadly. Many of us are science majors so you will end up taking upper div sciences anyways!

My bet is even at the schools that "proclaim" to not accept CC credits, you could have something on your app that they want and so they will then accept them. Play the game, but play it wisely.

Just in general, even if schools say they don't take CC credit according to the MSAR, they often do.

I did my english at a CC, and all the schools that said they don't accept CC english didn't actaully care when I called them and asked.

While this is true theoretically, it isn't really so in the real world. Many schools frown upon CC credit and some outright won't accept it as you mentioned. My school is one of the former and applicants are told on the admissions website that CC credit is effectively viewed not as positively as coursework done at a university. I agree that it's stupid and based purely on stigma, but that's how it is. My guess is that there are also at least a few schools that don't say anything about this directly but in actuality view CC credit as less than desirable. It's one of those dirty little things in med admissions.

(sent from my phone)

Ok but here is another perspective. Schools that reject A's from CCs can be viewed as discriminatory, financially speaking; since with the outrageous cost of tuition, even for undergrad at most schools, and then breaking people's backs with the cost of med schools, people need to conserve money anywhere along the path that they can. It's a disgrace how many students are seriously burdened with student loan debt for just about any baccalaureate, let alone grad degree, and must less the financially crippling burden of medical school.

So this spitting on CC credits would seem to favor those students with money, the few that gain scholarships, and the few underrepresented . It totally screws over everyone else.

I mean do they need physicians or not? This attitude totally supports others into going into mid level practice. Hmmm. Maybe that's the point. That is, if you want primary care, the incentive seems to be toward foregoing medical school and pursuing pa or np instead. It may also be some collusion with the push for cheaper primary care supply, while keeping allopathic medicine more for upper-crusts that will specialize. Sometimes you do have to wonder.

Ok but here is another perspective. Schools that reject A's from CCs can be viewed as discriminatory, financially speaking; since with the outrageous cost of tuition, even for undergrad at most schools, and then breaking people's backs with the cost of med schools, people need to conserve money anywhere along the path that they can. It's a disgrace how many students are seriously burdened with student loan debt for just about any baccalaureate, let alone grad degree, and must less the financially crippling burden of medical school.

So this spitting on CC credits would seem to favor those students with money, the few that gain scholarships, and the few underrepresented . It totally screws over everyone else.

I mean do they need physicians or not? This attitude totally supports others into going into mid level practice. Hmmm. Maybe that's the point. That is, if you want primary care, the incentive seems to be toward foregoing medical school and pursuing pa or np instead. It may also be some collusion with the push for cheaper primary care supply, while keeping allopathic medicine more for upper-crusts that will specialize. Sometimes you do have to wonder.

The more you analyze the admissions process, the more you realize this is true ("this" being that there is discrimination between the wealthy and poor). The reality is that people with money have a much easier go at the admissions process than people that don't in nearly all aspects of the process. With ECs, you have more opportunities to do stuff since you're not working to pay for school and can likely afford to do super cool ECs that others may not be able to (traveling, etc.). With the MCAT, you are more likely to be more prepared because of the ability to pay for prep materials and courses. You have the ability to apply to a bunch of schools and attend all of your interviews - something you may not be able to do as easily if you don't have money (even if you qualify for FAP). Hell, even having the drive and knowledge to navigate this process is more likely to be present in the wealthy than the poor - if only because wealthy, white individuals are more likely to understand processes like these than poorer folks. If you have a kid whose parents went to college and graduate/professional school, how do you think a kid from a family who has never had anyone attend college is going to fair when it comes to doing this ridiculous process and others similar to it (e.g., college admissions)?

I don't think this is an insidious plot to prevent the poor from getting into medical school. I just don't think the admissions process is that thought out, especially with what is used as a proxy for evaluating applicants. The poor certainly have the ability to get into medical school if they have the drive, but the wealthy (even just "the middle class") have a much easier time with it. I also became more aware of this once I started to learn about the backgrounds of applicants and my classmates. An overwhelming number of the people that I've met - applicants and classmates - come from what I would consider to be a pretty privileged background. And I don't mean that in a Richie Rich kind of way. I think this is also a major reason why you see so few URM matriculants despite the "advantages" they have in the process.

The more you analyze the admissions process, the more you realize this is true ("this" being that there is discrimination between the wealthy and poor). The reality is that people with money have a much easier go at the admissions process than people that don't in nearly all aspects of the process. With ECs, you have more opportunities to do stuff since you're not working to pay for school and can likely afford to do super cool ECs that others may not be able to (traveling, etc.). With the MCAT, you are more likely to be more prepared because of the ability to pay for prep materials and courses. You have the ability to apply to a bunch of schools and attend all of your interviews - something you may not be able to do as easily if you don't have money (even if you qualify for FAP). Hell, even having the drive and knowledge to navigate this process is more likely to be present in the wealthy than the poor - if only because wealthy, white individuals are more likely to understand processes like these than poorer folks. If you have a kid whose parents went to college and graduate/professional school, how do you think a kid from a family who has never had anyone attend college is going to fair when it comes to doing this ridiculous process and others similar to it (e.g., college admissions)?

I don't think this is an insidious plot to prevent the poor from getting into medical school. I just don't think the admissions process is that thought out, especially with what is used as a proxy for evaluating applicants. The poor certainly have the ability to get into medical school if they have the drive, but the wealthy (even just "the middle class") have a much easier time with it. I also became more aware of this once I started to learn about the backgrounds of applicants and my classmates. An overwhelming number of the people that I've met - applicants and classmates - come from what I would consider to be a pretty privileged background. And I don't mean that in a Richie Rich kind of way. I think this is also a major reason why you see so few URM matriculants despite the "advantages" they have in the process.

And to piggy back on your point, Nick, this is true in life, period. That's why being URM is not an advantage at all. People from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds have much tougher go at life, no matter what. Those who grow up with that sort of background, do so with less than scrupulous people around them. The conditions surrounding them are characterized as low education, low income, low emphasis on "legitimate" work. There are many "distractions" for these people, and that's why it's so great when they are able to truly rise above their situation, and really make a name for their family and themselves in a positive way.

Not to Nick Naylor, but to whom you were responding to: Take a class in Sociology, it is very interesting and will explain a lot of this to you.

Seriously? Some people have full time jobs. Community Colleges are good for some things. It isn't like knowledge suddenly changes when you magically reach the hallowed halls of a 4 year.

Seriously? Some people have full time jobs. Community Colleges are good for some things. It isn't like knowledge suddenly changes when you magically reach the hallowed halls of a 4 year.

Unfortunately, I emailed Johns Hopkins admissions this morning, and they do not accept CC credits, and they only accept upper-levels for some courses (ie not general chemistry). :(

Unfortunately, I emailed Johns Hopkins admissions this morning, and they do not accept CC credits, and they only accept upper-levels for some courses (ie not general chemistry). :(

Have you emailed school's in your'e state? Do that and see what you get.

There are a few schools (mostly the "top" schools) that don't accept CC credit, but I would say that the more common attitude is that it is unspokenly disapproved of. State schools probably don't care for the most part, though.

You are right in that for many situations, CC = 4-year. Unfortunately many adcoms don't view it that way it seems. CCs have a stigma that universities don't have.

Actually, I belive I've read somewhere that Harvard takes one or two CC transfer students a year. They may be more understanding than Hopkins.

What do you mean "they only accept upper-levels for some courses"?

What do you mean "they only accept upper-levels for some courses"?

They only accept upper level (300 or 400) level for some science prerequisites.

Example: Instead of taking "Chem221 and 222 and being done with it, you may be expected to take Chem321 and 322 in addition to the 221 and 222 courses if they are prerequisites to the upper level coursework.

Undergrad and med school admissions are completely separate...

captain-obvious-meme-generator-757.jpg

Maybe I misunderstood the post of yours that I quoted, then. What was your point?

Howdy,

I've posted elsewhere on SDN about this, but I'll post it here too since this thread topic specifically addresses community college credits.

Here was my situation:

I graduated from a 4 year university with a degree in International Studies (my only science classes were geology and astronomy), during my last semester I decided that I wanted to do something completely different and decided to start taking classes for PA school that summer (I would decide a year later that I specifically wanted to apply to medical school).

(I decided to go to CC for 2 reasons. The first reason is that I'm poor and I already had a small amount of debt to contend with from my 4 year degree. The second reason was that nothing in life is certain, so if I failed getting into PA school (later medical school) then I didn't want a larger debt looming over my head compounding my failure).

After graduating in May 2010 I took general chemistry 1 and 2 that summer at a 4 year university. I would have taking them at CC but scheduling wouldn't permit it. In hindsight I wish I did because I would have an extra couple grand in my pocket.

All my subsequent lower level prereqs were finished at CC. That includes the following:

1. Anatomy and Physiology I and II
  2. Biology I
  3. Organic Chemistry I and II
  4. Physics I and II
  5. Microbiology (for science majors)
  6. Statistics

I never took biology 2 as my other courses fulfilled the biological science credit required by medical schools, and before someone tries to ding me on that fact I confirmed this with TMDSAS. Plus, all medical schools give a list of courses that fulfill the biological science requirement.

I also took psychology at CC but at the time I was planning on going to PA school and that was one of their prereqs.

Lastly I took 3 upper elective courses at a 4 year school: Genetics, animal physiology, and biochemistry.

I applied to all 8 public medical schools in Texas last year (2012) using TMDSAS, submitting my finished application on July 2 (it was done processing around July 17th). I received interviews at 7 of them (El Paso was the only school I never heard from). On November 15th I received 5 prematch offers. As of now heading into the match, I plan on going to UT Houston.

None of my interviews brought up the fact that I went to community college.
None of the schools that prematched me stipulated that I needed to take different courses prior to matriculation.

So in my opinion, if you must take CC courses don't beat yourself up over it. However, I do think 3 things need to be taken into consideration.

1. I went to a CC that was specifically known for having stellar science classes. I honestly think I had better classes and instructors at my CC than I would have at my 4 year university. Strangely enough, my gen chem professor at my 4 year university was an instructor at the CC that I went to.

2. MCAT is the great equalizer. People may have their opinions about it, but regardless of that opinion you will have to take it as part of your application. I made a 33 on mine.

3. Someone on this thread suggested retaking all your CC courses at a 4 year university. That is definitely a waste of time (assuming you did well in the CC courses the first time around). As long as your 4 year university accepts the courses as transfer credits, just take upper elective classes. For starters it would be boring to take the same class twice, and taking UE credits just shows that you are fully capable of handling "tougher coursework."

I hope that helps put some people at ease.

Reactions: 1 user

That's odd... I did all my pre reqs at CC and was accepted at Hopkins.... I haven't heard of a policy change in the last year.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Have you emailed school's in your'e state? Do that and see what you get.

My state doesn't have med schools, but UW has 10-20 spots specifically for my state. :D I'm just sad that a med school doesn't find my CC credits "good enough".

But yes cordivae, thankfully the MSAR indicated that most schools accept CC credits. :)

EDIT: Slev, that is interesting. Hmmmm....

That's odd... I did all my pre reqs at CC and was accepted at Hopkins.... I haven't heard of a policy change in the last year.

+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

I emailed Johns Hopkins and they told me they accept credits from any accredited college or university... I think it depends who opens your email I guess.