How much $ am I generating for the hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greenbayslacker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a hospital employee, doing 80% anesthesia 20% pain. I just started doing pain a few months ago. My contract is coming up for renewal and I would like to negotiate a stipend for my pain work. As an example, since August I have had 10 days in pain clinic, performing 32 procedures from 36 consults in addition to some follow-ups. The procedures are mostly bread & butter (ESI, MBB, SIJ, etc) though I do have some stims in the works.

Are they even making any money off of me being in the clinic instead of the OR? I was thinking of asking for a 3-5% stipend of my usual anesthesia salary. I still take full call.

Members don't see this ad.

They make at least $700 for every injection you do in the HOPD. $1500 on every RFA. This is in addition to your physician fee which is between $150 for an injection and $400 for a multilevel RFA. $400 to $2200 on every MRI you order. Stim trials they will make at least $3500 profit.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a hospital employee, doing 80% anesthesia 20% pain. I just started doing pain a few months ago. My contract is coming up for renewal and I would like to negotiate a stipend for my pain work. As an example, since August I have had 10 days in pain clinic, performing 32 procedures from 36 consults in addition to some follow-ups. The procedures are mostly bread & butter (ESI, MBB, SIJ, etc) though I do have some stims in the works.

Are they even making any money off of me being in the clinic instead of the OR? I was thinking of asking for a 3-5% stipend of my usual anesthesia salary. I still take full call.
You should get some kind of additional pay for this additional work. I would ask for a fixed amount as your volume is not going to be that high overall. Especially if there is any pain call involved. 75k extra is what I got in a similar situation 10 plus years ago

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
it depends.

you need to get full numbers and they have that billing data.

if they are hesitant, then make a spreadsheet of all of your procedures (and office visits) and use ASIPP data for Medicare so that you can make an estimate - on your own - of the minimum amount of money you have made.

dont forget to use professional fees for facility and the site of service you are at - either ASC or more likely HOPD.

it also depends on your contract. are you salaried?

if you are on an anesthesia RVU based model, then your pain work should also be on an RVU based model.

i doubt the hospital is collecting > 700 bucks for a medicaid ESI

I am salaried. I understand the argument for being RVU-based in pain reimbursement, but I would prefer to just have a fixed amount so I am not worried about volume.

I am salaried. I understand the argument for being RVU-based in pain reimbursement, but I would prefer to just have a fixed amount so I am not worried about volume.
do you get annual raises?

im missing something here..

are you asking for a stipend above your current salary?

how does your salary compare to the 100% anesthesia people?

i would guess that admin would give that a hard NO if you are asking for 5% above your current salary, at least without something that shows that you are benefiting the system.