How much bonus cash was I supposed to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just checked my bank account, and it seems I got $600 from Uncle Sam. Check me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think I was supposed to get that much. I thought it was supposed to be $300. But, checking the IRS website, this seems to be right...

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=177937,00.html

Have you guys received your moolah yet? What are you going to do with it?

-copro

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, I got $600 and was surprised at that. Mine's already spent and then some. Still paying off a trip to Ireland last year and gearing up for fellowship interview travel.

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent me something saying I was supposed to get 600 too, but I havent yet. I guess I made enough over summer...

I just checked my bank account, and it seems I got $600 from Uncle Sam. Check me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think I was supposed to get that much. I thought it was supposed to be $300. But, checking the IRS website, this seems to be right...

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=177937,00.html

Have you guys received your moolah yet? What are you going to do with it?

-copro

Enough money was borrowed from China to "give" each of us $600 (or $1200 for the married-filing-jointly amongst us), plus $300 per kid. My family gets $2100.

I'd like to put $2000 in the kids' college funds so they can grow up to be the kind of economic asset our nation will need to pay back this loan, plus a couple or three decades of interest. The other $100 would cover booze for the party I'm going to throw on the day we get to screw the Boomers out of their old-age social security & healthcare entitlements.

(That's my plan, anyway ... my wife runs the books and has a more level head than I, so we'll see.)

stimulus package is 600 per person.

Yeah, figured that out. And, was pleasantly surprised. Literally doubled my expectations. Of course, this is only going to further deflate the dollar.

Me? I'm thinking about a down payment on a brand-spanking-new Ruger Mini-Thirty or Marlin 336C. Of course, I'll be riding my bike to the gun store. ;) :D

-copro

Enough money was borrowed from China.....

Yep, borrow a bunch of money from China, and then tell everyone to buy things from china using that borrowed money. It's a good thing I didnt go into economics, because apparently I dont understand......

On a side note, preclinicals are over!!!!!!! No more sitting on my *** 'listening" to stupid lectures!!!!

Actually, for singles it's UP TO $600, and UP TO $1200. If married it looks like you'll get the full $1200 if you have an AGI of $60,000.

For single:
Examples of how the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 may affect taxpayers who are single and either childless or do not have children who qualify for the child tax credit:

1) Individual with wages of $4,000, no federal income tax liability.
Individual rebate is $300

2) Individual with no wages, veterans’ payments of $2,000, social security benefits of $2,000, no federal income tax liability.

3) Individual with no wages, no social security benefits, veterans’ payments of $4,000, no federal income tax liability.

4) Individual with no wages, no social security benefits, no veterans’ benefits, AGI is $10,000, federal income tax liability is $125.

5) Individual with AGI is $12,000, federal income tax liability is $325.
Individual rebate is $325

6) Individual with AGI is $35,000, federal income tax liability in excess of $600.
Individual rebate is $600

7) Individual with AGI is $80,000, federal income tax liability in excess of $600.
Individual rebate is $600
Phase out reduction is ($250)
TOTAL is $350

Married w/o qualifying children:
In most cases, payments will range from $300 to $600 for individuals and $600 to $1200 for joint filers. Taxpayers may receive $300 for each qualifying child. Payments could be less, depending on tax liabilty and Adjusted Gross Income. Phaseout reduction begins at $75,000 for single filers and $150,000 for joint filers.

Examples of ways the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 may affect taxpayers who are married, file a joint return and are either childless or do not have children who qualify for child tax credit payment:

1) Married couple with no children, wages of $4,000, no federal income tax liability.
Rebate is $600

2) Married couple with no children, no wages, veterans’ payments of $2,000, social security benefits of $2,000, no federal income tax liability.
Rebate is $600

3) Married couple with no children, no wages, no social security benefits, veterans’ payments of $4,000, no federal income tax liability.
Rebate is $600

4) Married couple with no children, no wages, no social security benefits, no veterans’ payments, AGI is $20,000, federal income tax liability is $250.
Rebate is $600

5) Married couple with no children, AGI is $25,000, federal income tax liability is $750.
Rebate is $750

6) Married couple with no children, AGI is $60,000, federal income tax liability exceeds $1,200.
Rebate is $1,200

7) Married couple with no children, AGI is $160,000, federal income tax liability exceeds $1,200.
Rebate is $1,200
Phaseout reduction is ($500)
TOTAL is $700

Seriously, the very worst lectures I ever had were "basic science correlations" class-wide lectures during clerkships. Thanks for pulling me away from the floor and my team to waste an afternoon...

Good point Master Shake, that doesnt sound too exciting at all....

Was attendance mandatory during preclinicals though?? We were told it wasnt when we came here. Then they changed it because one of our adjunct lectures is married to a former senator or something when less than half the class showed up for his lectures, somebody was all butthurt about it. Thanks to that, we have mandatory attendance now.

Yep, Im bitter. Just look at my avatar.... I'm doing it as hard as I can!!

No really, Im over it. I just sat in class and studied other crap while they rambled on.

this is another example of how the poor always get all the tax benefits...

i am not allowed to get a stimulus rebate check because I earn too much...

please explain how this is fair

do we really believe that those who earn less than 75k or 150k (if you are a family) understand how to build businesses, generate employment/labor and generate growth?

what will stimulate the economy is allowing the wealthy do what they to do best --- generate wealth...