How much can I get as pharmacy manager?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharm.D2020

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently a staff pharmacist at large retail chain, current RXM moving to a slower store in march. DM asked me to step up to manager in December, at the time I had only been with said company for 2 months and declined rxm offer, said I was not trained up to the level I'd expect of rxm. As in there are questions I don't know the answer to, procedures I rely on my senior techs knowing because I don't know them yet etc. DM came to me again urging me to take the manager position. This is a difficult store, just bought out two other pharmacies in town and are overwhelmed with the volume. DM would rather have someone familiar with the situation take over. How much leverage do I have in my negotiating? I'm considering taking it but want to maximize my benefit as its clear this is what the dm wants and manager wasn't on my radar.
 
Usually $2-$4 per hours, mostly on the low end. Giving your situation, maybe you can ask for more. Have you asked him how much of the raise he can offer yet?
 
I'd expect nothing honestly. Maybe a bigger bonus than your staff rphs, if they still exist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long you been licensed and what state? The reason I ask is in VA you have to be licensed 2 years before you can be PIC but I have seen BoP bow down to the chains and "choose" to ignore this.
 
Last edited:
2-4% in typical retail... For me it was basically unscheduled yearly bump. Considering some places don't even do annual raises anymore, it might be closer to 2% for you.

In other words, don't do it unless you can't refuse.

Places like CVS or Walgreens sometimes let the manager have more base hours.
 
It would be more base hours, 84 vs the 80 I’m currently at. Not necessarily looking at higher wage as that puts a target on my back. But thinking I’d like 4 weeks base pto plus normal pto accrual per year
 
Depends on the company, area, yrs of experience, and competing offers. Some give you $0.5-4 increase. Some $14 increase.

In another words, you need give us more info.
 
Ya. Sorry. Like Momus said, more info required but you'd reveal too much of your identity. You were hired few months ago and DM talked to you twice recently about this. That's at least 3-4 conversations for you to get some idea. But this is the same company that didn't disclose your starting salary in the offer letter?
 
It would be more base hours, 84 vs the 80 I’m currently at. Not necessarily looking at higher wage as that puts a target on my back. But thinking I’d like 4 weeks base pto plus normal pto accrual per year
Ha ha lmao. You rely on technicians to tell you how to run the pharmacy and don't want a raise for more work and responsibility. No wonder no one respects pharmacists.
 
No shame in not knowing certain things that your techs handle, at least when you're first starting out. I know I helped my share of new grads get oriented when I was a tech and intern.
No there is much shame. If you are pharmacy manager you should have experience as a pharmacist and know what policies and procedures for a given company. You should also know laws rules regs. I manage if I have a question I ask another manager not my subordinate.
 
No there is much shame. If you are pharmacy manager you should have experience as a pharmacist and know what policies and procedures for a given company. You should also know laws rules regs. I manage if I have a question I ask another manager not my subordinate.
OP is not a manager and specifically cited that as a reason for declining the position
 
It would be more base hours, 84 vs the 80 I’m currently at. Not necessarily looking at higher wage as that puts a target on my back. But thinking I’d like 4 weeks base pto plus normal pto accrual per year
the chain you work at would never negotiate PTO with a lowly RPh
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It would be more base hours, 84 vs the 80 I’m currently at. Not necessarily looking at higher wage as that puts a target on my back. But thinking I’d like 4 weeks base pto plus normal pto accrual per year
You deserve a raise to take that position, I haven’t heard about PTO negotiation lately. Don’t be a hero and do it for zero (raise)! You will lower market rate for future PIC. Besides, your current rate is low compared to us veteran PIC, so don’t worry about the target. Make sure you go over board of pharmacy inspection check list and ensure your store in compliance if you take over the PIC position.
 
Dont do it unless there is a significant premium - not worth the headaches, target on your back, extra stress, unpaid meetings, conference calls, hiring, training, creating the tech schedule etc. $10k extra yearly would be my absolute minimum (10k worth of salary increase/pto not 10k more because base hours go up)