How much did KAPLAN help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who took the mcat review through KAPLAN and how much they thought it helped.

Members don't see this ad.

I took Princeton Review instead of Kaplan, and saw my 2003 MCAT score (26L) increase to 34R this year. During the time, I did not take any classes or anything (I was working). I really do think that the review was responsible for much of the increase, because of the instruction they provided, the structure of the courses (which forced me to study in a manner that I would not have on my own), and the mock examinations which made the real thing feel like something that I just ordinarily did on Saturdays. :)

There were about 40 (2 1/2 hour) class sessions, and 5 mock exams.

Just wondering who took the mcat review through KAPLAN and how much they thought it helped.

Well, as far as the classes go, Kaplan didnt really help at all. What was great about Kaplan, though, were the resources. Tons of material to prepare with, plus like 9 mock MCATS. Also at their centers you have the ability to take past actual AAMC tests without having to buy them. Basically they give you a ton of stuff to work with, which I thought was the most useful.

Kaplan turned a 27 into a 38. They give you the tools, you just have to use them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, as far as the classes go, Kaplan didnt really help at all. What was great about Kaplan, though, were the resources. Tons of material to prepare with, plus like 9 mock MCATS. Also at their centers you have the ability to take past actual AAMC tests without having to buy them. Basically they give you a ton of stuff to work with, which I thought was the most useful.

Similar story here but with TPR. Classes were pretty useless (I think for some they're helpful, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that many high scorers will tell you the classes are useless) but I really liked the material and practice tests/testings. Worth my $$$ in the end, although I think I could have done it for cheaper by just buying the mountains of prep material and many practice tests.

Good luck