How much did you actually know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TILalot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. It's another 'most annoying topic in SDN'. I've been out of school for almost 3 years now. I have an acceptance to start Fall 2011 (WAHOO!!!!).
Anyways, since I haven't been in school for a while and took my MCAT April 2009, I was wondering how to gauge my ability when I start school?

I still remember a lot of my chem, most of my physics, and most of my o-chem. My bio is a bit sketchy. I was a Anthro major in undergrad (Class of 2008).

In the past 3 years I had worked as a pharm-tech (total of 7 years doing that) and then started working at a auto-body shop for the last year

Lemme know what you think :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Members don't see this ad.

Well honestly your biggest weak point probably is studying habits, if it is not then you are good. Being out of school takes you out of that routine to study and med school is exactly that... Lots of studying. Most of the undergrad stuff doesn't matter, i'm pretty sure you remember "enough" that you can get by. So work on "studying" if you can, just learn to make a schedule and be able to stick with it. If you haven't anatomy, physiology, biochemisty, micro, etc... just familiarize yourself with them and i do mean familiarize, not study. Also don't forget to enjoy your time off, because those days will end as soon you enter med school.

Well honestly your biggest weak point probably is studying habits, if it is not then you are good. Being out of school takes you out of that routine to study and med school is exactly that... Lots of studying. Most of the undergrad stuff doesn't matter, i'm pretty sure you remember "enough" that you can get by. So work on "studying" if you can, just learn to make a schedule and be able to stick with it. If you haven't anatomy, physiology, biochemisty, micro, etc... just familiarize yourself with them and i do mean familiarize, not study. Also don't forget to enjoy your time off, because those days will end as soon you enter med school.

Disagree... you'll have an ah ha moment three weeks into school and realize the only thing you really do is study.

Your weakest point is Bio. Period. They'll blow through so much biochem in the first semester, you'll wonder what the license plate of that truck that just ran you over was. Anatomy is anatomy and it'll be new. The more you know, the less stressed you'll bee. They'll also go through so much cell bio in such a short time, you'll wonder how the hell you survived being hit by two separate trucks, but you will.

Trust me, I'm from the same mold as you. Secondary Education: Social Studies major with only the pre-reqs science. It's challenging, but doable. Don't bother stressing though, the clock keeps turning, the days keep going and as long as you're not a complete ass who ignores the fact that you applied to medical school knowing it'll consume most of you for quite some time, you'll be ok.