How much did you spend applying to Derm this year?

Started by JDMD243.0
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JDMD243.0

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just gonked my finances on mint.com and found that I spent just shy of $11,000 since August on applications, externships, hotels, rental cars, plane tickets etc. I imagine I'm a fairly typical derm applicant (8 weeks away rotations, applied to 90 derm and 30 prelim/ty programs, 11 derm interviews and 8 prelim ty interviews). Did the usual scouring of southwest, expedia, hotwire etc for deals.

Did I overspend? I suppose I could have saved some cash by hitting up more friends to stay with them and/or sharing rides/hotels with other applicants. Sure hope I match this year, can't imagine going through this again 😱
 
I had a similar distribution of aways, interviews, etc.. drove anywhere under 8 hours. mostly stayed with friends relatives in various cities. Spent approx. $3500
 
If you applied to 90 derms and 30 prelims/Ty's and only spent 3500 on applications, aways, and travel then I take my hat off to you. Not trying to bust your b*lls, but I applied to about 20 fewer programs and dropped 2 grand on apps alone. 1500 bucks for travel and lodging for 20 interviews is a feat.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess there's probably a difference depending on where one lives. I live out west and driving to other programs isn't much of an option when the closest med school is >500 miles away.
 
Ill provide some added clarification- I think the point is that the cost of the application process can vary greatly from 1 applicant to another...

VSAS fees- $60
2 away rotations- Stayed with friends/family; spent approx $500 on food/gas at each= $1000
60 derm apps, 7 prelims/transition year apps- $1235
13 total interviews- Mostly stayed with friends/family, 2 flights, 2 nights in hotel rooms (always used Priceline, never paid more than $50 a night), gas, food- $1000

Total- approx $3500

I did apply to approx 50 less programs than OP probably accounting for a bulk of the difference in cost.
 
Last edited:
Our school has a nice alumni program where they try to put you up with alumni in every city so I only spent 10% of my interview nights in a hotel room so that saved me a whole bunch of money. I'm also couples matching so I interviewed for a lot of prelim spots.
 
Total cost (applications + interviews) for me= $2,000 (actually a little less than that). Applied to 29 programs total (25 Derm + 4 prelim). Ended up with 14 interview offers, ended up going on 12, stayed with friends, never rented hotel rooms.
Flights ended up being $1,100 with a little help from the SW credit card (get 25K initially in free miles which = up to 2 round trip flights).
Overall I'm incredibly happy with my decision to apply to fewer programs. I got wonderful (legal) feedback from my #1 and am confident I'll match there.
 
Total cost (applications + interviews) for me= $2,000 (actually a little less than that). Applied to 29 programs total (25 Derm + 4 prelim). Ended up with 14 interview offers, ended up going on 12, stayed with friends, never rented hotel rooms.
Flights ended up being $1,100 with a little help from the SW credit card (get 25K initially in free miles which = up to 2 round trip flights).
Overall I'm incredibly happy with my decision to apply to fewer programs. I got wonderful (legal) feedback from my #1 and am confident I'll match there.

I take back my last post. I was in a grumpy mood when I typed it. Apologies.
 
Last edited:
Wow I'm amazed about how much the op spent, is this the mean? or is it the higher end of the spectrum?