Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What sort of things do you do without calling the doctor? If the doctor doesn't specify cream or ointment, for example, do you just give them whatever? Ask the patient what they prefer? Tell the patient they're SOL until you hear from the doctor?
What if they write for Loestrin but forget to write the strength, but the patient has been on one kind for a year. Do you just give them what they've been taking? Do you verify with patient first?
What if the prescription "expired" yesterday but it's for a BP or diabetes medication, will you refill it one last time if there's a refill left? Or do you stick by the book, and call the doctor first?
I'm just curious, because my pharmacy manager is such a haggler that it can be quite annoying. I guess it's different when it's not your license on the line, but if I were a pharmacist I'd think I'd actually utilize a hell of a lot more discretion than he does. He's a BS pharmacist who's been practicing since the 70's, so I think that may be part of it. I live with a newly minted PharmD who tends to be more cavalier in his decision making.
What if they write for Loestrin but forget to write the strength, but the patient has been on one kind for a year. Do you just give them what they've been taking? Do you verify with patient first?
What if the prescription "expired" yesterday but it's for a BP or diabetes medication, will you refill it one last time if there's a refill left? Or do you stick by the book, and call the doctor first?
I'm just curious, because my pharmacy manager is such a haggler that it can be quite annoying. I guess it's different when it's not your license on the line, but if I were a pharmacist I'd think I'd actually utilize a hell of a lot more discretion than he does. He's a BS pharmacist who's been practicing since the 70's, so I think that may be part of it. I live with a newly minted PharmD who tends to be more cavalier in his decision making.