How much do 0-6 PharmD programs expect you to know when entering as a freshman?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

StudentDoctora

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean, the last time I took Chemistry (or really did anything related to chemistry) was in my Sophomore year of high school -- I took AP Chem. Honestly, I'm embarrassed to say it, but I don't remember a thing. I don't know the properties of any of the elements, redox-reactions, acid-base, equilibrium constant, etc.... Well, I remember the names of some "chemistry-sounding things" but not what they are or how to use them. In the first year of a 0-6 program (I'm thinking Mass College Pharm/Health Sci), do they expect you to remember those things? Should I get tutored over the summer in Chem? Or do they go back to basics and review all those things, allowing time for one to re-learn them?

Thanks! 🙂
 
You'll have to learn it all again anyway, so don't bother with a tutor or anything. You'll be fine as is.
 
You'll have to learn it all again anyway, so don't bother with a tutor or anything. You'll be fine as is.

Hey, thanks! But are you really sure? I mean, won't I be LOST?? When I say that I don't remember *any* of the properties of elements or how they combine or cations and anions, etc., I'm serious. I don't know what ion Cl forms! I have no idea about the trends in the periodic table! Shouldn't I try to learn this stuff again, so that I'm a little bit prepared?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I am a sophomore in a 0-6 program, if you are taking Gen Chem again, then you will have to learn it again. If you are going to AP out of GChem, which I would not advise, then you don't have much to worry about freshman year, but then again you may struggle with sophomore classes like Orgo and Biochem.
 
I mean, the last time I took Chemistry (or really did anything related to chemistry) was in my Sophomore year of high school -- I took AP Chem. Honestly, I'm embarrassed to say it, but I don't remember a thing. I don't know the properties of any of the elements, redox-reactions, acid-base, equilibrium constant, etc.... Well, I remember the names of some "chemistry-sounding things" but not what they are or how to use them. In the first year of a 0-6 program (I'm thinking Mass College Pharm/Health Sci), do they expect you to remember those things? Should I get tutored over the summer in Chem? Or do they go back to basics and review all those things, allowing time for one to re-learn them?

Thanks! 🙂

I might be missing something, but I guess I could see reviewing it if you've been out os school for many years and you are entering a 4 year program, but if you are entering a 6 year program, you will have to take all the chem and ochem courses anyways, so you will learn everything you need and then some.
 
I might be missing something, but I guess I could see reviewing it if you've been out os school for many years and you are entering a 4 year program, but if you are entering a 6 year program, you will have to take all the chem and ochem courses anyways, so you will learn everything you need and then some.


Sorry, I think I might be a little confusing, LOL. Maybe I was wrong in my assumptions, but I always thought that a "college level" course, even if introductory, required some kind of prior knowledge of that subject. Am I wrong? Do they get reallllllllly basic in first year 0-6 pharmd programs? 😕
 
Sorry, I think I might be a little confusing, LOL. Maybe I was wrong in my assumptions, but I always thought that a "college level" course, even if introductory, required some kind of prior knowledge of that subject. Am I wrong? Do they get reallllllllly basic in first year 0-6 pharmd programs? 😕

I think 1st year (undergraduate freshman) is about as basic as you can get...I don't think it really matters if you don't remember your high school classes. (Of course I could be wrong...I took those prerequisites starting 1994 😱) I really wouldn't worry about...I think it'll come back to you.
 
If you really want to study over the summer, I don't see any harm in it. It might actually help you feel less stressed during the semester.

At my college, there was a General Chemistry I class and then a Intro to General Chemistry class. I skipped the intro class. I think Just 1-3 students had a hard time in the General Chemistry class. For example, they didn't know how to setup the math problems and stuff. I think most students should be okay for general chem.
 
There is no reason to do any extra studying. I am currently in a 6 year program at Drake University and everything they expect you to know is taught to you during school. Also, if you are accepted to a 6 year program then you must sufficent knowlege already because they accepted you!