How much do EC's matter for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilycat

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that you've all been through the match, how important do you think EC's were to your application? By EC's I mean positions on various student committees (class president, med school student association, AMSA, etc.), volunteering, etc? Do EC's really matter at all? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lilycat:
•Now that you've all been through the match, how important do you think EC's were to your application? By EC's I mean positions on various student committees (class president, med school student association, AMSA, etc.), volunteering, etc? Do EC's really matter at all? :confused: •••••I don't think they matter as much for some residencies. I didn't do **** as a medical student and landed a pretty good residency.

They may matter more in primary care settings.

I'm NOT a primary care person, but I think my EC's MIGHT have been helpful.

I did a lot of volunteer work at the indigent clinic in my city, went to a Central American country three times to do health-related service projects, was on the admissions committee for my med school, kept up with competitive swimming etc.

While my board scores were very good and I did extremely well in my clinical rotations, I think having done some extra stuff made me a little more interesting and stand out from a pool of fairly similar-looking applicants. But who knows? It may have made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is one person's perspective...

I want to know that people have a life outside of medicine. It makes them better balanced people which makes them better doctors, and also better able to survive the rigors of a residency. That life can take the form of extracurriculars like lilycat mentioned, or it can take the form of sports or hobbies. It doesn't matter what it is and oh by the way, those resume padders (things you write but didn't really care enough about to participate in fully), well, they are just that, padding. Being able to talk passionately about your activities (or even just one activity) is a definite plus. Anyone who can't tell me what they do in their spare time (even if it is just to talk about their research) is a red flag in my mind and yes, spending time with your friends/ signficant other is an activity too.

Having said that: Great extracurricular activities will not outweigh poor academics. EC's are a plus, they are not a panacea.

I recieved interviews in PM&R at every top place i applied to (thanks to god) and my extracurricular activities seemed to be very important or at least very intriguing to my interviewers.

My EC's, however, had almost nothing to do with medicine, mind you. All my EC's in "the arts" seemed to be a hot topic.

This may be specific to PM&R. This specialty places a premium on a well rounded life.

best of luck!

Thanks everyone so far for replying.

Surg -- you made some really good points. I totally agree about having outside interests and balance. But I guess I worried that making time for non-medical interests (like sports, keeping up with my creative writing, etc.) would be seen somewhat negatively as opposed to being an officer in AMSA or something. I don't intend to push myself into something that I don't have my heart in, but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be hurting my opportunities in the future.