what matters more: first-assist in surgery vs getting pubs ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sthpawslugger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on where to do my clinical rotations. One site is where wife and I are from...hospital has less than 200 beds, Level 3, no surgical residency programs in town(only 2 primary care programs at a nearby hospital), and no research taking place outside of one facility that does a lot of benchwork. That being said, I've been told there are many opportunities to be first-assist. Second site is just outside a larger city 2 hrs from home, has about 400 beds, two primary care programs and one gen surgery program in-house. With more residents, possibly less of a chance at first-assist(not confirmed though). There is, however, opportunities to do research with a well-established group that has connections with a desirable surgical residency located at an academic institution in the area. With that said, which matters more when applying to a surgical sub-specialty program? More experience as a first-assist or getting research experience and publications?

Members don't see this ad.

I take it you want to do surgery?

Definitely pubs are more important to get you there. Learning to actually do surgery is what residency is for. Also, if you’re at a program with residents it may be that for some cases the attending will let you and the resident do the case together, or at least parts of it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Definitely pubs are more important to get you there. Learning to actually do surgery is what residency is for. Also, if you’re at a program with residents it may be that for some cases the attending will let you and the resident do the case together, or at least parts of it.

I did a soft tissue sarcoma resection as a first-assist with the chief resident during my MS3 year. It was just the two of us on the case.

It might be worth a shot to see which cases the chief is doing.

Surgery for sure.

I did a soft tissue sarcoma resection as a first-assist with the chief resident during my MS3 year. It was just the two of us on the case.

It might be worth a shot to see which cases the chief is doing.
I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

If you're for sure you want to do surgery, then get pubs.

If you're not sure if you want to do surgery, then still do the one with the residency program so you can see what real surgery life is like (as opposed to the whitewashed version at the non-busy community hospital).

If you DONT want to do surgery for the rest of your life and wanna just do some cool stuff for 8-12 weeks then do it at the community place b/c it'll be chiller and you'll get to do more stuff in the OR.