How much do family doctors actually earn? Right after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, except for MOC and Board recerts... ;)
Psh, I open book my SAMs

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I knew... I just think the system need to be 'streamlined'... Med school should not be that long. We can have a 3-year prereq and a 3-year med school (Not a 6-year combined)... Also, if a 2 yr IM/FM residency will have grave consequence to the system, I will definitely be against it. But I think it's worth asking these kind of questions.
The problem isn't the medical is too long, it's that it's become very inefficient. I remember being very jealous of the generation of doctors above me and all the stuff they got to do as 3rd years. And as I read these boards it occurs to me that what I was able to do as a third-year is Way Beyond what most of y'all do. So I get why y'all think that med school could be shortened. I would rather it be more educational for the time you have.

Reactions: 3 users
The problem isn't the medical is too long, it's that it's become very inefficient. I remember being very jealous of the generation of doctors above me and all the stuff they got to do as 3rd years. And as I read these boards it occurs to me that what I was able to do as a third-year is Way Beyond what most of y'all do. So I get why y'all think that med school could be shortened. I would rather it be more educational for the time you have.

My compromise would be cut off a year and add it to residency so it’s the same number of years but far more informative. Plus resident pay + no 4th year loans would be a god send right now

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My compromise would be cut off a year and add it to residency so it’s the same number of years but far more informative. Plus resident pay + no 4th year loans would be a god send right now
See I'd rather figure out where this ever increasing tuition money is going to and stop it. If total 4 year debt was back to the 125-150k it was when I was in school, I don't think you'd hear near as much (often justified) complaining.

Reactions: 1 user
See I'd rather figure out where this ever increasing tuition money is going to and stop it. If total 4 year debt was back to the 125-150k it was when I was in school, I don't think you'd hear near as much (often justified) complaining.

I agree. I’ll have double that and I had almost zero undergrad loans. Compared to my peers who went to private universities and have masters degrees. I just find it ridiculous that we pay tuition for that 4th year is why I would be in favored in axing it

You've won the lotto, my friend. Most people graduating from med school now will be 300k+ in the red.

This conversation seems to have turned in a direction away from what the OP originally asked. I'm trying to bump this thread with hopes that it can turn back to the topic of transparent compensation reports in the FM field.

I am an MS4 who recently matched into an FM residency, and am excited to begin! I am a planner and am looking for a more realistic expectation as to potential future earnings and loan repayment. I am very close to surpassing $500k in loan debt 2/2 all the things we hate about the costs of medical education (not trying to turn the convo in that direction either, please). Can current FM professionals and PGY3's who have offers give us more recent data on the topic of your compensation and the region where you work?

I understand we can't blanket a statement/income over anything, and am not looking for that. I can get that with the yearly Medscape physician compensation reports.

This conversation seems to have turned in a direction away from what the OP originally asked. I'm trying to bump this thread with hopes that it can turn back to the topic of transparent compensation reports in the FM field.

I am an MS4 who recently matched into an FM residency, and am excited to begin! I am a planner and am looking for a more realistic expectation as to potential future earnings and loan repayment. I am very close to surpassing $500k in loan debt 2/2 all the things we hate about the costs of medical education (not trying to turn the convo in that direction either, please). Can current FM professionals and PGY3's who have offers give us more recent data on the topic of your compensation and the region where you work?

I understand we can't blanket a statement/income over anything, and am not looking for that. I can get that with the yearly Medscape physician compensation reports.

This thing's already 12 pages long. Why don't you just start a new thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.