How much do grades matter for Irish medical students wishing to come back to North America?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jloyay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just done my first "real" medical school exam (Canadian here) in first trimester of first year, and although I did alright on the MCQs the anatomy spot exam destroyed me (not failure, just did poorly).

I was just wondering how concerned with grades I should be?

Members don't see this ad.

Just done my first "real" medical school exam (Canadian here) in first trimester of first year, and although I did alright on the MCQs the anatomy spot exam destroyed me (not failure, just did poorly).

I was just wondering how concerned with grades I should be?

You don't need to be concerned about grades per say but they do give you some input on how on track you are for the USMLE. From my experiences you need to be at the top 20% of your class to really sit the USMLE and do well. In terms of residency Canadian schools don't look at your grades from Ireland.

They don't matter at all to North American programs (they won't even know how to read them). However, some schools allocate reciprocal elective spots based on your exam scores and your class rank gets submitted to ERAS as far as I understand.

Reactions: 1 user