How much do research publications help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkeaton88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering my GPA and MCAT are acceptable (equal or above national average of applicants who matriculate to med schools), how much do research publications help with my application? I am an upcoming senior that has been co-authored in three publications. Two of them are in medium-impact medical journals and I am first author in one of them. Although this will definately help my application, my question is how much will this help?

Members don't see this ad.

Considering my GPA and MCAT are acceptable (equal or above national average of applicants who matriculate to med schools), how much do research publications help with my application? I am an upcoming senior that has been co-authored in three publications. Two of them are in medium-impact medical journals and I am first author in one of them. Although this will definately help my application, my question is how much will this help?

Probably a medium amount.

Ok, joke answers aside, it absolutely depends on the types of schools to which you are applying. If they have an emphasis on research, these will certainly help you quite a bit. If they're more primary care focused, they'll still help, but maybe not as much.

Also, they mean crap if they're your only EC... so having average-ish stats and a few pubs can't be your whole application.

Probably a medium amount.

Ok, joke answers aside, it absolutely depends on the types of schools to which you are applying. If they have an emphasis on research, these will certainly help you quite a bit. If they're more primary care focused, they'll still help, but maybe not as much.

Also, they mean crap if they're your only EC... so having average-ish stats and a few pubs can't be your whole application.

This is absolutely right. I you have an excellebnt GPA and above "average" MCAT coupled with good publications, you should be favored somewhat when applying to upper-tier schools, which are mostly research oriented. Hopkins, Yale, Cornell.....Having said that, they also look at other parts of your application:yawn:........residency, LORs from dynamic individuals......etc. But hey!! What do I know? I am just a HS senior.

Members don't see this ad :)
that kind of research will help you everywhere. you still need the standard EC's, although with the pubs you can probably get away with fewer of them.... but seriously, given that those are the easiest things to get on your resume, why would you not do as many as you can handle to tick off all the boxes. if you do that, and you have 3.6+/33+, i think you have an excellent shot at top research schools. if your numbers are higher, you may even see more interest from that type of school than from the "lesser regarded" ones.

don't be shy, apply broadly. it's unusual to have that level of research experience and thus you can't know how places will react to it.

that kind of research will help you everywhere. you still need the standard EC's, although with the pubs you can probably get away with fewer of them.... but seriously, given that those are the easiest things to get on your resume, why would you not do as many as you can handle to tick off all the boxes. if you do that, and you have 3.6+/33+, i think you have an excellent shot at top research schools. if your numbers are higher, you may even see more interest from that type of school than from the "lesser regarded" ones.

don't be shy, apply broadly. it's unusual to have that level of research experience and thus you can't know how places will react to it.

By standard ECs I'd imagine you mean the clinical and shadowing experience which demonstrates you've thoroughly investigated medicine as a career path?

Will solid research experience be able to compensate for the fact that you didn't go to volunteer in Africa for a summer, or weren't president of the prehealth club, etc.? Things more along the lines of nonmedical service and activism I guess?

By standard ECs I'd imagine you mean the clinical and shadowing experience which demonstrates you've thoroughly investigated medicine as a career path?

yes

Will solid research experience be able to compensate for the fact that you didn't go to volunteer in Africa for a summer, or weren't president of the prehealth club, etc.? Things more along the lines of nonmedical service and activism I guess?

excellent research will not compensate for having nothing else med related on the app. you don't have to go deworm orphans in the third world though, either. a simple volunteer position at a local non-profit and a part time job in a clinical setting should suffice. that's why i say these things are easier to do than getting 33+ MCAT or getting published - because they are. you need to have your bases covered, but you don't have to be a standout in every area. plus they have the side benefit of fleshing you out as a person when the guy/gal reading your file is deciding whether or not you sound like someone they'd like to meet (interview).

edit: foreign trips and activism are not requirements, anywhere. if i were on an adcom i'd be a lot more impressed with someone who was demonstrably interested in the welfare of his neighbors right here at home than in someone who paid a lot of money for one of these health brigade type experiences that have dubious ethical value.

You would have to be more specific than "medium impact". Few journals recognize themselves as "low impact" so those general terms mean little to me.

The journal will matter as well as how far the research advances the field.

You still need a good gpa, MCAT, and other EC's. Depending on the publication, it may be only marginally helpful or it may make you highly sought after. Hard to tell without knowing the exact publication.

This is absolutely right. I you have an excellebnt GPA and above "average" MCAT coupled with good publications, you should be favored somewhat when applying to upper-tier schools, which are mostly research oriented. Hopkins, Yale, Cornell.....Having said that, they also look at other parts of your application:yawn:........residency, LORs from dynamic individuals......etc. But hey!! What do I know? I am just a HS senior.

Am I the only one who caught that? LOL Other then that Swiss Medical, you hit the nail on the head. As everyone said, Publications are good, but medical schools like well rounded interesting individuals. It is up to you what ECs you need to accomplish that :)