How much do you charge when you have to talk to attorneys?

Started by thesauce
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

$600/hour or fraction for medical record review
$800/hour or fraction for deposition and preparation
$1000/hour or fraction for court appearance expert testimony

More than 30 cases in 20 years I have never had anyone push back on these rates (about 15% less at the beginning; inflation you know). That fact suggest I may be underbilling 🙂

I work both sides...
 
As an internist I charged $750/hr on a whim because a colleague mentioned that number. The lawyer did not blink an eye and quickly agreed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man I should look into this... Two "hours" is basically a full day locums gig 🤔

Maybe this could be one of those "alternative" careers talked about in a recent IJROBP article...

If you do too many expert witness cases the defendants attorney will accuse you of being a shill in front of the jury.
 
I don’t care how much they pay, the courtroom is the last place I ever want to be!

So far, only been deposed once. Never had to go to court. Was in the conference room of the hospital with the cutest little attorney grilling me. Cute as a button I kept smiling even at all the dumb questions she was throwing at me. We thought it was her first time too, I had to ask for clarification on about every sentence she was asking and getting all flustered.