You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How much do you get paid working in a research lab?
Started by nope80
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Z
zimmie256
I get paid 26k a year which amounts to like 350 a week or so...It really sucks and I'm wondering if everyone gets paid this much or its just me🙁
From $7.50/hr to $20/hr in different labs...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$13.43 an hour ... not great, but better than i made when i worked in a bait store.
$7-8.50/hr on campus
Over the summer, got $4000/10 wks + housing + plane tickets + car + gas + weekly catered lunches.
Over the summer, got $4000/10 wks + housing + plane tickets + car + gas + weekly catered lunches.
I was offered two jobs after I graduated--one that paid $11.50/hr (23K/yr) and the one I took that pays $14/hr (28k/yr + 4weeks of paid vacation, which I am using up fast on interview trips)..... research pay isn't great, so if you are going to do it for a long time, look for a industry job.
$15/hr full-time lab research. Sometimes we had to go to other campuses, so parking and gas were included.
14/hr
8/hr for summer research. back to school and I am just getting credit.
I got paid this summer as an undergrad, but that was after a year and a half of work for credit.
Are you guys students or have you graduated? Who is paying for you to do research? I don't know any undergrads who get paid to do research...now I'm jealous.
I have Federal work/study so my wages at school are subsidized. Most summer internships will come with a stipend.
After taxes, less than 6/hr. It's sad, especially since this is my only source of income and applications are EXPENSIVE. *sigh*
I get paid with the feeling of knowing that I am doing something good (I actually get no money for completing my senior thesis pjt- I even have to bring my own grant money).
But, it's all worth it!
But, it's all worth it!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$23/hr w/ a BA degree in chem
started at 32K a year fulltime, after one year was raised to 36K. plus great benefits. unfortunately in nyc this still means i am barely able to live/pay for apps. but it is a fun job.
Here's a question: if we're applying/going to interviews this cycle (now), do we need a "spin-able" job for interviews? Although I'm really qualified I'm not finding ANYTHING available in lab research, especially cause I'll only be available for a year. Do I need a scientific/med-school related job to talk about at interviews, or do they understand that sometimes you just desperately need the money?
The lab I worked in paid me $3000 for 10 weeks of the summer. It was through the university's summer undergraduate research program.
No i graduated last year and am working until i get into med school.
How do industry jobs differ? I'm really unfamiliar-like what type of job could one get in industry that is similar to a university research lab position?
Industry job are at companies like Genentech, Stratagene, Amgen, etc. I've heard they start around 40K with benefits, stock options, annual bonuses, etc. They seem better for people who want research careers not just a short-term job while you apply to school (like us).
Depends on the work. Actual research gets paid a little more than a PCR/Buffer bunny
I get paid $7 an hour as a research assistant in the Arizona Cancer center, which isn't great, but I'm more interested in the experience.
I started at 36K per year (clinical research) and after 1 year I got raised to 37.5Kish. Having completed an undergrad degree makes a HUGE difference...I was only making about $8-10 per hour as an undergrad, with zero benefits.
I work as a student research assistant as an undergrad. i get 8.50 and hour
What the hell. How do I get my professor to start paying me? I had no idea so many people got paid, and it would certainly help to be able to quit my job.
What the hell. How do I get my professor to start paying me? I had no idea so many people got paid, and it would certainly help to be able to quit my job.
Depends on whether you are work-study or not. It seems to me that most profs will only hire you if you are work-study, but are willing to host you for an independent study (where you do their work for free!) if you're not on work-study. I think virtually everybody is eligible for work-study, but I could be wrong.
Depends on whether you are work-study or not. It seems to me that most profs will only hire you if you are work-study, but are willing to host you for an independent study (where you do their work for free!) if you're not on work-study. I think virtually everybody is eligible for work-study, but I could be wrong.
Yeah I've got plenty of wrok-study. I think I need to have a sit-down with my prof...
Yeah I've got plenty of wrok-study. I think I need to have a sit-down with my prof...
Try to get paid in 1 first authorship a month.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you even get research positions to start off with? Do you guys just ask your professors or science department? Thats what im going to do tommorrow. But how do you get research positions at like industry places. Can anyone help name a few company names that do research?
Oh this little company called Genentech.
Oh this little company called Genentech.
Heh, genentech facilities are too far away. Any more?
Also, i have noticed that most research facilities require a BS/MS. Isnt that too late? Because by that time we would hopefully be in medschool, after we get the bs/ms degree?
Oh this little company called Genentech.
Also,
Is "lab technician" not beneficiary in terms of resume padding/EC?
sometimes you just have to ask! politely of course, but it never hurts to ask. i think i wouldn't have gotten paid when i was working for one prof over the summer, but i asked if there was any possibility to get some compensation, and he ended up giving me $10 per hour!What the hell. How do I get my professor to start paying me? I had no idea so many people got paid, and it would certainly help to be able to quit my job.
I found the job through BMEnet.org, an online networking site for biomedical engineers. But that was with a bachelor's already in hand...if you are still in school, you should just check around the department you're interested in (talking with both professors you know and those who you don't know but whose research interests you). If you're looking for a summer position, those are usually more readily available, though some programs can get competitive. The NIH has a number of very well funded programs such as REU and SURF, where you apply generally to an institution and get matched to a specific lab. Individual instututions usually have similar programs with decent compensation. If you need more info, I'd be more than willing to share over PM! GoodHow do you even get research positions to start off with? Do you guys just ask your professors or science department? Thats what im going to do tommorrow. But how do you get research positions at like industry places. Can anyone help name a few company names that do research?
!!I get a 30K package as a level 1 technician (which includes benefits).
I have heard of others at JHU making up to 40K as technicians, but never anything higher than that.
I have heard of others at JHU making up to 40K as technicians, but never anything higher than that.
I got a post-bacc fellowship at NIH/NCI. NCI pays better than the other institutes and I have the good grades bonus, and I still only get 26K + health. I think the other institutes pay around 24K. I'll let you know how much it goes up for year 2 in a month...
$14.548352/hr
no joke...
no joke...
Okay, totally off topic but I read the title of this thread as "How much do you get LAID working in a research lab?"
uh oh someone needs to get some
j/k
I think most people know the answer to that question...
Okay, totally off topic but I read the title of this thread as "How much do you get LAID working in a research lab?"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
12$/hr, baby! Yeah! Woo Stanford!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 594