How much do you really love it???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not even sure this is true. At least it wasn't for a few folks I know who matched extremely well into uber competitive things without AOA recently. But it's definitely an asset if you have it.

True. NMRP match results shows that even in something like derm, it's 50/50 in terms of who was AOA and matched and who wasn't AOA and matched.

Members don't see this ad.

You know, it's becoming more and more apparent that you must have an excellent social presence (charisma, upbeat demeanor, etc.) as well as aptitude to do well in medical school. It is ironic that for residencies, 1st and 2nd year grades don't matter (bad for the bookworms, although there is Step 1) but 3rd and 4th year grades (which are very subjective, and oftentimes based on whether the chief resident likes you or not) matter a whole lot.

Very true. I'm not a freak socially (or at least, I'd like to think that) but I don't have the kind of room-capturing charisma that some of my peers have.

Costly.

I've even received feedback like this: "Not flashy. But gets the job done. Outstanding presentations during rounds. I wished all interns presented like this. Will make a superb house officer."

Grade--->Pass.

Q: "Mommy, why are you starting blood pressure pills already?"
A: "MS3"

You know, it's becoming more and more apparent that you must have an excellent social presence (charisma, upbeat demeanor, etc.) as well as aptitude to do well in medical school. It is ironic that for residencies, 1st and 2nd year grades don't matter (bad for the bookworms, although there is Step 1) but 3rd and 4th year grades (which are very subjective, and oftentimes based on whether the chief resident likes you or not) matter a whole lot.

Which is not unreasonable when you consider that residencies are if effect looking to "hire" you for a 3-7 year apprenticeship.

They are looking for coworkers as well as residents.

Most M3/4 grades have some fairly reasonable combination of subjective/objective grading. People cannot skate through on charm alone without doing well on exams.

Furthermore (as I'm sure many of you have already noticed) medical students often tend to have faintly delusional ideas about their own levels of charm and charisma.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very true. I'm not a freak socially (or at least, I'd like to think that) but I don't have the kind of room-capturing charisma that some of my peers have.

Costly.

I've even received feedback like this: "Not flashy. But gets the job done. Outstanding presentations during rounds. I wished all interns presented like this. Will make a superb house officer."

Grade--->Pass.

Q: "Mommy, why are you starting blood pressure pills already?"
A: "MS3"

So the fact that I sometimes look nervous around patients and in fast-paced hospital settings is really going to bite me? (Even as a volunteer). I get really nervous when I have to do things quickly...:thumbdown:

So the fact that I sometimes look nervous around patients and in fast-paced hospital settings is really going to bite me? (Even as a volunteer). I get really nervous when I have to do things quickly...:thumbdown:

It's not a huge deal. I get flustered plenty as well when the attending starts making the hand circling motion like "Speed it up. I'm getting tired."

Eventually, you'll get a hang of what you can afford to cut out and what you can't.

(I know some interns do it but I've been handed my @$$ twice for saying "Vitals were stable" during rounds and proceeding straight to physical exam)

It's not a huge deal. I get flustered plenty as well when the attending starts making the hand circling motion like "Speed it up. I'm getting tired."

Eventually, you'll get a hang of what you can afford to cut out and what you can't.

(I know some interns do it but I've been handed my @$$ twice for saying "Vitals were stable" during rounds and proceeding straight to physical exam)

Let me guess, those were the internist attendings.